Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Star Wars 1-9 will be a story of Skywalkers. This is why we are getting the stand alone films. I hope a Vader stand alone movie is in the cards. The official comic version of his story immediately following episode 3 is pretty cool.

Robert C likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Damn! I was rooting for Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Robert C likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And yet it almost never is, which is why we're plagued with endless TOS prequels and reboots and Khan remakes!

SandAndGlass and Classicolin like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My understanding is that Lucas walked away for the simple reason that he knew when he sold Lucasfilm, he did not want to be part of a situation where he would just offer story ideas or character concepts when they might be discarded or ignored. Don't forget, Disney/Lucasfilm was quick to say that once the sale went through, they looked at Lucas' vague outlines (1-2 pages of handwritten notes on yellow legal paper) for Episodes 7-8-9 and discarded them. Lucas had zero interest in being a consultant.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, well I think JJ did a great job on bringing back the feel of Star Wars. The characters had an acceptable memorable start. The story was derived as we know. But I forgave him for that considering it was to get the whole Star Wars thing back on track. I gave it a B-.

So now they decide to switch gears and go experimental with possibly a somewhat different feel and look to the film with another director. Ok, if its a great movie, great character development and the plot rocks, thats what matters. But if they switch back to JJ after the feel of the movie has changed this could mess with the continuity.

And why are they getting rid of this director?

I have a bad feeling about this....

again...

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Here here :thumbsup:

Sondek, Gordon Crisp and Classicolin like this.
  7. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Bring Kasdan back, too – he's the secret sauce!

8. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist Thread Starter

There's a much greater degree of leeway for innovation than you give credit for, in my opinion. Each of the three original trilogy films were starkly different from each other in their narrative (save for the rehashing of the Death Star in Return of the Jedi). You mentioned Star Trek, and yes, there is a lot of room for exploration and adventure implied by trek, and with Wars how is it any different? There have (unfortunately) been hundreds of armed conflicts in human history, of myriad different qualities.

The Force Awakens almost struck me as the cinematic equivalent of an iconic music group releasing a re-recorded greatest hits compilation with a couple 'new' previously unreleased, lacklustre songs included (in this case, Star Wars' Greatest Hits: 1977-1980 w/ new selections!). The First Order is the Galactic Empire redux, the Resistance the new Rebel Alliance, Supreme Leader Snoke an update of the original Clive Revil-chimpanzee Emperor of the pre-2004 editions of The Empire Strikes Back; Maz Kanata as Yoda 2.0, and Captain Phasma was Boba Fett '3.0' (Jango being the '2.0'); Rey, a combination of the prodigal Anakin of the Prequels and a young Luke Skywalker. The Starkiller Base (Death Star '3.0') wasn't even remotely required either.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Wise choice.

He made a ton of money for Disney..

10. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

:agree:

11. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Gentlemen, the name is Villeneuve.

Classicolin and Jacob29 like this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What is the full list of the recent Lucasfilm director firings? It's such a $hit show over there right now.

13. artfromtex

It's only a sh!t show if the final product sucks. TFA and RO, while having some detractors, were big hits with fans and made a buttload of cash.

14. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Makes it all the more obvious why they don't hire name directors for these films - can you imagine a Fincher, or a Spielberg, or a Scott putting up with this sort of $hit?

15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

...were big hits with some fans....

I'm a first generation SW fan (I was 11 when the first film came out). And I thought they both sucked rotten eggs!

Deesky likes this.
  16. artfromtex

...some fans didn't like them, but most fans did...
    :D

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Josh Trank -- fired from stand-alone movie (Boba Fett?) before it even got off the ground, after failure of his Fantastic Four (and his behaviour making it)

Phil Lord and Chris Miller -- fired from Han Solo movie well into production

Colin Trevorrow -- fired from episode 9 during writing phase

Debatably, Gareth Edwards, not formally fired but seemingly sidelined during Rogue One reshoots by Tony Gilroy

Vidiot and supermd like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm not talking about the quality of the films released thus far, but all the backstage firings and general disorder. Definite $hit show.

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you. I was missing John Trank.

20. artfromtex

Sausage making is ugly. Sausage is goooood!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He's credited as a "creaative consultant" and writer on J.J. Abrams' The Force Awakens.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Job so well done, he got two "A"s! :D

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Most of the people who don't like Abrams are just going to say "literally anyone else" :p

obviously not enjoying them enough

Part of the business now, unfortunately. Particularly seems to affect films that are adaptations of other material.

Forbes had a great article about this:
    How The Joker Movie Proves The Internet Ruins Movie News And Fandom

Stratoblaster, budwhite and Jacob29 like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I type at about 40 words a minute and don't have time to proofread, especially for free.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    SandAndGlass and Lownote30 like this.
  25. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.