Dedicated Schiit Yggdrasil thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hutch, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Depends on what you mean by "perfect". When it comes functionality, its a relative term as there are virtually no "perfect" devices, functions, transformations, products, processes.

Regarding "burn-in", many different classes of audio components require what is colloquially referrred to as "burn-in" or "run-in" to provide optimal functionality, performance, and sound quality including headphone and loudspeaker drive units, cables, tubes, stereo cartridge cantilevers, and electronic components. Loudspeakers, cables and electronics usually require the most "burn-in" or "running-in" with respect to loudspeaker drivers. In electronics, and cables, it is usually the capacitors and other components or materials that take time to burn-in, and depending on the number and types (composition) of those components or materials will determine the time it states for them to fully burn-in. For dielectrics, the burn-in time often correlates to the dielectric constant of the material, the higher the dielectric constant, the longer it takes. For example, for film capacitors, the burn-in times are, from shortest to longest: polystyrene>>polypropylene>>>>>Teflon. For cables, it is usually the composition of insulating materials (which are also dielectrics) e.g. foamed polyethylene or FEP that determines the time that cables take to "burn in".

Regarding the burn-in time for Yggy, I refer you to Robert Harley's recent review in TAS:
    Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC. Yggy has a LOT of components, which directly correlates to it's burn-in time...

"Listening
    Although Moffatt warned me that the Yggy wouldn’t sound good right out of the box, I gave it a quick listen anyway after an hour of warm-up. He was right; the Yggy was hard, bright, forward, and flat. I checked in with it a couple of times over the next week and heard it improving somewhat, but it was still disappointing. I decided to let it sit in my rack, powered up, for a full month before revisiting it."

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    LeeS, Ctiger2 and murphythecat like this.
  2. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Correct, from the reports I've read from end-users, the new Gen 5 USB and Schiit Eitr (which uses the new Gen 5 USB interface/implementation), both outperform the Singxer F-1.

3. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Eitr not only works, it works spectacularly well. I am going to post a small review of using it with my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC.

Ham Sandwich and billnunan like this.
  4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I should have an Eitr here on Friday. I'll be feeding it USB from my W10 PC via Roon, then SPDIF into my Anthem Statement D2 which, to me has amazing an amazing DAC built-in considering it's in use for my vinyl playback and it sounds as "analog" as my old all-analog rig used to sound. I have to say, that fact alone has really softened my stance on "digital vs analog" since I'm basically bringing both worlds together in my system. Anyway, I'll put up a thread with my thoughts after a few weeks of listening to it (if I can put the records down long enough, lol). So far everything I've read has me giddy about the little box.

billnunan and murphythecat like this.
  5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I would expect a DAC in this price range to perfectly reconstruct the analogue signal in a way that is utterly transparent to the source from the word go.
    I'm stunned that someone would pay £2,000 for something that doesn't sound "good right out of the box". What happens if it doesn't 'burn in'? What happens if the resulting sound also isn't satisfactory?

Lawrence and basie-fan like this.
  6. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

And what happens if it explodes?! Or if it morphs into Godzilla?!

billnunan and bluemooze like this.
  7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Or, more than likely, just stays the same from day 1.

8. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Ain't gonna happen.

reapers, Dino and Clayton93 like this.
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Prove it.

10. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Don't need to...

Enjo your day! :cool:

Darksolstice and murphythecat like this.
  11. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Received my Yggdrasil last week. Sounds nice; using my Rotel CDP as a transport.

Wondering if anyone has tried (or seen) wood side panels. I have mine on a top shelf and thought a little wood bling may look cool (e.g. chechen or brazilian cherry) and matching the horizontal contour (roundover) of the enclosure.

AmosM likes this.
  12. Andre Dufour

Andre Dufour New Member

Yggy Question

2 days ago i just received STAX SR-009, Wood Audio Electrostatic AMP (WES), and Yggy in the mail.

I'm using USB from a laptop to the yggy.

My question: Do I need to manually install drivers from the Schiit site? I didn't have to install the software on my PC for it to recognize the Yggy (gen 5).

Note: I've read that the WES, STAX and Yggy all need break-in. However, the setup still sounds absolutely fantastic to me.

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The latest version of Windows 10 now includes USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2) support. If you have a DAC that is UAC2 compliant (the Yggy is) you can plug it in and the OS will use the native UAC2 drivers built into the OS. No need for the manufacturer supplied drivers. You can still install the manufacturer supplied drivers if you want, but you probably won't need to.

That's a nice headphone setup with the Stax.

ribonucleic, Dino and Hymie the Robot like this.
  14. Andre Dufour

Andre Dufour New Member

Thanks Ham, much appreciated. I'm loving the sound. It's very, very neutral. A classic reference sound (just like the Senn 800).

15. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

I see that the Ragnarok has the same 16 x 12 footprint as the Yggy. Would it be feasible to stack the former on top of the latter - or would there be ventilation issues?

16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've seen 'em stacked many times. I'd probably try to do something to give the bottom unit some air - like ball bearings in furniture cups or something but that's not always practical.

ribonucleic likes this.
  17. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

The Yggdrasil is - to my ears - better (by far) than the Bryston BDA-2 I had a few years ago. I never quite cottoned to the Bryston, although I could hear everything it was doing. The Yggdrasil is "invisible" enough, even when attached to a modest system, to be eye-opening.
    I used the stock cord, then went to an old ESP cord, then the Nordost Frey 2 power cord, Shunyata Alpha HC and Python ZiTron. In all cases, the Yggdrasil (and the rest of the system, of course) reflected the changes readily, which indicates a lack of a "character" to the component itself. I'm among the deeply satisfied owners of the unit. I will be taking it to a nearby dealer (in a month or so) and inserting it into his system to hear what it sounds like there.

jfeldt likes this.
  18. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Heads up for Yggdrasil owners, Schiit released a new analog board upgrade today. Supposedly improves the performance significantly.

Yggdrasils that have shipped since mid-October onwards already have the upgraded board, you can check by looking to see that your serial number starts with the letter 'B'.

Kyhl, jfeldt and Ham Sandwich like this.
  19. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Recently having a GMB upgraded with the USB5 board I have to say that I am happy that they release upgrades to existing products instead of offering new and improved models that supplant prior models.

billnunan, dmckean and IanL like this.
  20. CoolJazz

CoolJazz Forum Resident

Yggy upgrade ordered. #66 in the que. Looking forward to it!

CJ

dmckean likes this.
  21. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I’ve been plotting my next steps up the audio ladder for a while now and while I’ll start auditioning speakers and amps soon (thinking Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP and ‘if’ my room allows it, Tannoy Legacy Eaton’s) I thought I’d take advantage of the Yggy being in stock and it turned up on Friday. I’d picked it based purely on reviews and I was a bit worried as it seemed like a big gamble as my Rega system already sounds nice. I was expecting it to sound a bit rough initially and then bed in over days (I’ve since realised that I have the updated version compared to what was reviewed), however it sounded great pretty much straight away and is vastly better than the Rega Dac-R that I’ve enjoyed for the last couple of years (at 1/4 of the price). I’ve not really noticed much change in the sound (3 days in) but my Rega system defiantly improved suddenly after being on for several days, so it’s something I have experienced, if it improves further, I’ll be ecstatic. The soundstage has so much depth, complex music (that I sometimes found fatiguing) is pulled apart and each part is held in its own space allowing you to absorb each strand. There’s more punch in the bass and it’s tamed a slight harshness at the top end that I was experiencing previously. Very happy so far!

Ric-Tic, JoshM, Ham Sandwich and 2 others like this.
  22. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Nice!
    I’m digging mine more than I envisioned after 8 months or so (latest model). Driving it with my Rotel RCD-1570 as transport (coax) and Sonos Connect/NAS HD (ALAC)(toslink)...I use the Sonos much more. Haven’t bothered trying the other inputs.
    I did notice it sounded quite good immediately and did improve. Or I improved. I also leave it On.
    Also made some sporty (i think) chechen side panels for blinginess...

Mintsauce likes this.
  23. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

That’s nice to hear. Currently I’m using Sonos also, tried my Appolo-R and I bought the ‘Crap Source’ light on! Not sure what that’s about.

24. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Dang - I had an Apollo prior to the Rotel (and had more than a few disc read issues...).
    I only got the Sonos a couple months ago for the A/V system, but ended up getting another for the audio system ‘cause it’s so cool to have the connectivity, but didn’t imagine it would sound so good with the yggy.

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is yours the new "Analog 2"? (Review Link)

I had thought that all DACs sound the same on SH Forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.