Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Elusive Disc usually does a pretty job packing. What happened? My 45s will be Tuesday. Can't wait.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and Blue Cactus like this.
  3. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Interesting! I wonder if someone took the 40th anniversary remix of Roadhouse blues on Perception and made an edited mono version of it. The 40th remix version has "Yikes" on the end.

Was there more than one mix published as a single back in the day? Or did someone create a bogus mix and try to pass it off on YouTube as an original 45 mix?

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Lot of speculation going on here.

Who are the resident Doors experts around here? We need a lukpac, only of The Doors variety, to come in and clear this up.

JuanTCB and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Playing the first disc it's really noticeable how the quality of the material falls off a cliff after the third album before picking back up at the end.

6. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Use MakeMKV to make a backup of the blu-ray (removes the copy protection). Use DVD Audio Extractor to extract from the backup, not the disc.

marcb likes this.
  7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

To be fair, and it's been stated here before, other than "Touch Me" and "Wild Child", there were some weak choices for follow-up singles from The Soft Parade. They were really desperate to boost sales of that album, weren't they! The album did have some great songs on it that weren't really "single material" like "Shaman's Blues" and the title track, "The Soft Parade", though - the two songs that make this an essential album to own for me, anyway.
    After Touch Me and Wild Child they should have let it rest on the singles front, imho, although then we might not have gotten "Who Scared You", my favorite Doors b-side. :shrug:

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That absolutely smokes!

9. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Thank you both for the great help. It turned out I did have to update DVD Audio Extractor, and then sign up for a trial for Passkey. Can't believe it was that simple.:imwithstupid:

Simon A likes this.
  10. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

There was plenty of room on The Soft Parade for "Who Scared You." Really no excuse for them to leave it off.

11. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

I'd love to know why Who Scared You was left of the finished album. Bruce Botnick should start an account here so we could ask him

12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I know - great song that I never heard until the Weird Scenes lp came out. Many of us had no idea that it was a b-side to a single, just an unreleased track that was new to us. Information and the ease of obtaining it that we take for granted now was hard or next to impossible to come by back in the day!

13. Blue Cactus

I was lucky enough to find a copy of the 2CD set at Barnes & Noble today. Only 2 copies in the store. One with the blu-ray disc and one without, which is the one I bought.

Just heard "Tell All The People" and it sounded like the bass is mixed more up-front than the LP version. Anyone else notice this?

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

How much was it?

15. Blue Cactus

The price?

Was marked $21.99 with a price stickered discount down to $16.99.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    aoxomoxoa likes this.
  16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And even if there wasn't I can think of at least two tracks--Easy Ride and Do It :hurl:--that should have been flushed to make room for it.

17. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

This is one of the procedures I tried last night, with unusable results. However, the good news is that Simon A has solved my problem by suggesting a tweak. Thank you both for responding!

Simon A likes this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

In other words, you mean the Soft Parade singles.

jsayers likes this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The mailer was thin cardboard, with a sheet of bubble wrap on either side of the album ( Hendrix's Smash Hits cut by BG). Zero protection. Mailer was bent and record inside was in pieces. I just retaped it, and sent it back via my mail carrier.
    Left them both a voicemail, and an e mail informing them, and asking for a refund on my card.
    Worst experience in 53 years of record buying. First time ever returning a record too !!!

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This alone is reason enough to get this set.:thumbsup: I guess I can retire my list from this thread: Question re: The Doors' Who Scared You

David del Toro likes this.
  21. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

You Need Meat would have been a perfect song for The Blues Brothers to cover!

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

here is what appears to be an official upload of Touch Me - Mono radio promo

I assume this is what's included on the cd- if so- to my ears I hear needle drop

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Riders On the Storm- virtual silence after 4:50

24. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Morrison Hotel should have had at least two singles imo.

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Peace Frog shoulda been a single