Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

See my post here:
    The packaging (for the vinyl and US releases, anyway) isn't professional, so if you can't spring for the Japanese SHM set or the vinyls, just get the DSD from acousticsounds. I might start dropping hints to my family about that for a Christmas present.

bherbert likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Aftermath comes to mind.

3. KinkySmallFace1991

Aye. Indeed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stu02, The Beave and Tommyboy like this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, but Lennon's comment was not on the original stereo releases of the song.

Onder, Adam9, crozcat and 2 others like this.
  5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

It wasn't on UK Thru The Past Darkly that's for sure when I bought mine in the late 70's.

slane likes this.
  6. KinkySmallFace1991

Now this I didn't know. Was it remixed in 2002, or simply restored?

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Unfaded, I believe.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

To clarify I meant the Abkcos, not the London CDs.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Even then, a few things are arguably best on the original ABKCO CDs. Not a ton, but a few.

10. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, that's why I said, "For the most part".

lukpac likes this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Going through the box set one more time, it's incredible the quantum leap in SQ with Aftermath. I've seen it was recorded in RCA, so why that difference? From the earlier material, the recordings from Chess are just as good, but the rest sounds rather bad.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A quantum leap in SQ? Aftermatch mono sounds like crap. The Chess stuff is far superior in SQ.

13. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

You can find an answer in Mick's own words. Check Track 13 - Mick Jagger-Interview from The Rolling Stones - Get Satisfaction If You Want It [TSP-CD-003]

A well respected man likes this.
  14. A well respected man

Maybe the original vinyl record (because of its length, 52 minutes, the SQ could suffer in vinyl), but the CD proves that the recording is great. It sounds wonderful, IMO.

Where can I find that?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think the better sounding early tracks are any worse than Aftermath. Satisfaction for example.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wonderful? I'd never say that about the sound of Aftermath, at least from a recording/mix standpoint.

17. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Try to google. Actually, it is just 49 sec interview for BBC radio. Mick said that the studios in the US are better, engineers are better and they can get better sound. That is the reason.

It is no surprise taking the state of Regent Sound.
    Many of the English punk records sound like our early records and that is very hard to achieve nowadays with sophisticated technology, 24-track studios. We did our early records on a 2-track Revox in a room insulated with egg cartons at Regent Sound. It was like a little demo in Tin Pan Alley, as it used to be called. Denmark Street in Soho. It was all done on a 2-track Revox that he had on the wall. We used to think, Oh, this is a recording studio, huh? This is what they're like? A tiny little backroom. Under those primitive conditions it was easy to make the kind of sound we got on our first album and the early singles, but hard to make a much better one.
    - Keith Richards, 1978

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The new LP is better but the mono mix just isn't great sounding.

But I guess I'll disagree with myself and say the recording itself isn't inherently terrible as evidenced by the stereo mix.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That doesn't explain anything though. The RCA recordings are generally not very good, and some really bad.

20. A well respected man

There may be some exception, but most songs recorded at RCA in the early records sound much worse than Aftermath, at least to my ears. There's even some distortion here and there.

I like the sound of this album a lot (both stereo and mono mixes). It's not audiophile material, of course, but I feel it fits the material perfectly and, for the first time in a Stones album, everything is well recorded and sounds clear.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The early material, excluding the Chess tracks, has never sounded good in any format.

22. KinkySmallFace1991

I agree, I wouldn't call the RCA recordings sonic masterpieces. In fact, I think they're closer to the Regent Sound recordings. As far as the early stuff goes, the Chess stuff is probably the most well recorded stuff. Buttons suffers from being bounced too much.

A well respected man likes this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Aftermath sounds bad. So does Surrealistic Pillow. Both done at RCA around the same time

24. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Hey Lukpac and any of the other other Stones fanatics, do you know anything about this release?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Grey market / Bootleg.
    Out of copyright stuff.
    Sources stems from boots.