The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Listening to Ricky Skagg's comedy bits between songs on the recent release J.D. Crowe & The New South "Live in Japan" double CD, he prompted me to pull out a classic live bluegrass album: "Flatt & Scruggs At Carnegie Hall-The Complete Concert." 32 cuts on the CD version. I can't recall if it expands the vinyl version.

Spadeygrove and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Isn't that Keith Whitley doing the impressions?

3. Jerry

No, this is the Japan tour with the original band. The release is titled "Holiday in Japan" and recorded 8/30/75. Ricky does the impressions.

4. bzfgt

Jerry likes this.
  5. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

This CD is a few years old but I really like his music. Jimbo Whaley!

6. Dok

Dok Senior Member

[​IMG]

THE PORCHLIGHT SESSIONS RELEASED, A DOCUMENTARY OF BLUEGRASS MUSIC

September 18th, 2017.

Nashville, Tennessee —Today, Pineview Pictures launched The Porchlight Sessions, showcasing Bluegrass Music like never before. Featuring lush landscapes of Americana, profound interviews, and archived photography, the film reveals the hopes and dreams of the movement’s most influential players with a rare look into their lives.

Artists in the project include Doc Watson, Bobby Osborne, Dr. Ralph Stanley, Steve Martin, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Béla Fleck, Abigail Washburn, Chris Thile, Mumford & Sons, Trampled By Turtles, The Infamous Stringdusters, Yonder Mountain String Band, the Steep Canyon Rangers, and many more.

“With a seven-year focus, our intention was to create a platform to put bluegrass music in the commercial spotlight with quality imagery, access, and heartfelt stories that target new audiences while also appealing to ardent purists. Through the project, Bluegrass is presented as a community that we can easily tap into,” said Anna Bek Schwaber, Pineview Pictures’ Executive Producer.

By unearthing both still and moving analog archival imagery, the film showcases a side unseen in a well-curated chronicle of the outlaws and originators of sound. The film ropes you in with an homage yet quickly pulls you into a fast-paced and seamless musical experience where the past meets the future in polished narrative conventions that unexpectedly delight.

“When we started this project, we realized there was a need to educate the public about this musical form in a way that was in line with other forms of commercial music. We did not expect, however, such a large response from a community who’s support for our efforts fueled our every move.”

Pineview Pictures is currently offering two digital products through the platform, VHX.com, for people who would like to watch the film through their TV, tablet or mobile phone. They have created a bundle, The Film + Bonus Content, which includes the full-length film and 30 bonus minutes of extended performances and deleted scenes for $20 USD. They are also offering the full-length film as a single unit for $17 USD. The content is currently available in English CC and Japanese Subtitles. The production company intends to continuously adapt the distribution of the film to the needs and demands of the audience as an end user.

“We are excited to enter the marketplace with a lean approach and a future-forward mentality. By harnessing the social power of the community who helped create the project, we intend to leverage the convenience of the platform with the undeniable nature of the film to carve out our own unique space.”

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2017
  7. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

[​IMG]
    A seven CD set recorded May 1 - 4, 1974 in San Francisco.
    Wonderful fidelity and terrific performances.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Spadeygrove, YardByrd and budwhite like this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I would like to know what I'm buying. 1080p or lousy SD resolution? Does it support chromecast? I don't watch video on my tablet or laptop

JazzFanatic likes this.
  9. Jerry

This:

[​IMG]

bzfgt and Spadeygrove like this.
  10. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I've never heard this one although I have heard another JD Crowe & the New South live album from Japan with Keith Whitley in the band. They do a Flatt & Scruggs routine with Keith doing a spot on imitation of Lester. Good cover of John Conlee's "Rose Colored Glasses" too.

11. Jerry

Yeah, but this release has two discs of Tony Rice smokin' up the fingerboard. JD Crowe band at their peak.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

My brother suggested we go see Ricky Skaggs with his group Kentucky Thunder while we were in Santa Fe last month while helping our parents out.

I like bluegrass - just never seen a concert live.

Well, let me tell you - that was one heck of a concert!

Ricky played fast and furious and them young boys on fiddle and geetar - whoo wee; Thrash metal got nuthin' on bluegrass.

I'd be shaking my head in awe - tight, on point, and kicking!

13. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Oh you don't need to convince me, Jer.

Big, big Tony Rice fan right here... :wave:

14. Jerry

I got that impression! I collect just about every Tony recording I can. I recently found a copy of this CD that was on my search list for years:

[​IMG]

Also recently got some other small label releases, like Tony & Vassar with The Low Country All-Star Band, and Hartford, Rice, Clements. I also have a bunch of boot recordings, and especially love the Acoustic All-Stars live recordings. I was lucky enough to see the DG Quintet live right before Tony left, and a bunch of other live shows until he lost his voice. His brother Ron has posted on here and is a wonderful human being and marvelous recording engineer. He even got Tony to sign a copy of his book to me with a personalized message, sent it to me, and refused to take any money!

I pray we can see Tony perform again, and hope there'll be many more album releases in our future.

Dennis0675 and Spadeygrove like this.
  15. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Emailed the company and this was their response. It appears to be streaming on Vimeo.

"Hi we are currently not selling DVDs, which are SD. The bundle below and any digital content is full HD."

Hope that helps!
    anna

budwhite likes this.
  16. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Hey Jerry, if you're a Tony Rice completist, I've got a few that might be more unusual. Maybe you have them, maybe not. I bought all on vinyl when they came out in the 70s and 80s:

With JD Crowe and the New South on Starday / Gusto Records out of Nashville, 1977:

[​IMG]

Also, New South Live in Japan, with a dark yellow and brown cover. The image may not come through here though.

[​IMG]

Then, a couple years of the Usual Suspects, compilation albums of several Bay Area groups and others, including Taj Mahal, Bianca Thornton, Norton Buffalo, Peter Rowan, Maria Muldaur, and others.

The first is Faraway Places, with Tony doing one tune on the album, Big River. Released in 1985, Tomistoma Productions:
    [​IMG]

The second is It's all Music, with Tony doing the tune Hey Lonesome on the album. Released in 1982, Tomistoma Productions. The album cover image may not be able to post here either (didn't seem to copy and paste).

[​IMG]

Jerry likes this.
  17. bzfgt

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Anyone have this double LP? And is it worth buying for $9

[​IMG]

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Fair price for vg+, if it has condition issues I'd pass

budwhite and Spadeygrove like this.
  21. bzfgt

It doesn't look like the greatest set, but worth having if you're a fan.

22. Jerry

Nothing beats THIS release. CDs, not vinyl, though:

[​IMG]

Bear Family, 4-CD, 112 tracks, LP-sized box set with 36-page book. Their complete Mercury recordings, and the Columbia recordings from 1950-1959.

AGimS, Dennis0675, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  23. bzfgt

That's the one.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Jerry

And these three Bear Family Bill Monroe sets are mandatory!

1950-58:
    [​IMG]

1959-69:
    [​IMG]

1970-79
    [​IMG]

25. Jerry

OK, this is weird. I thought to myself a few minutes back "I wonder if there's any news of Tony Rice, his health etc.?" So I Googled him, then hit "News" and this link popped up:
    4-day bluegrass bash opens Wednesday

I thought "Cool! Hey no idea! Today at 4:05! Then I looked in the corner of my Kindle and saw the time. 4:05pm." Cue the Twilight Zone theme music. I'll have to put Unit of Measure on the stereo...

[​IMG]
    Musician Tony Rice will be inducted into the Bluegrass Hall of Fame during Bill Monroe’s Bluegrass Hall of Fame & Uncle Pen Days Festival,
    which runs Wednesday through Saturday in Nashville, Indiana. Rice will be inducted at 4:05 p.m. Saturday. Submitted

Spadeygrove, AGimS, cedarbrew and 2 others like this.