Stephen King's 'IT' (2017 film - aka It: Chapter One)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Texastoyz, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drinking at 12- 13 -yes. The other thing was an aspiration only -not fulfilled till High School.:angel:

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow... It didn't even occur to me to drink at age 12! Even if I could have gotten booze I certainly wouldn't have had any interest in it. I still don't, actually.

3. I had three older brothers, cousins and our neighborhood hoodlums that all set the stage for this. Peer pressure? You bet!

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Try it, you'll like it!".

I would have taken one sip of beer, said "Ugh, this is nasty!" and gone to get a Cherry Coke! :)

5. I had to get past that distaste. It took a few weeks before I started liking the taste of beer.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep. drinking at 13. I grant you that I have a December bd, but we had a Playground leader over the summer that was very willing/ Spanada (sp) wine.
    I didn't start on beer til I was 14. I had tasted it at around 9, hated it. Then at 14, it wasn't nearly as bad.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  7. In the book yes, but not in the movie.

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

10. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

My wife and I enjoyed the film quite a bit. It had plenty of scares with its “old school movie vibe” and a modicum of Hitchcock thrown in for good measure. You really care about "most" of the characters (kids) and despise (every adult) who are all sketchy. Bill Sarsgard does an excellent job as Pennywise! Thoroughly entertaining night at the movies. (The worst part was all the Marvel + previews leading up to the film. Terrible. Every single one)

While I look forward to the sequel, it will be ostensibly hard to match the intensity/problems the kids face as they head towards adulthood. We shall see.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  11. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Watch IT a second time. Loved it even more.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Really loved It. The kids were great, Skarsgard was excellent as Pennywise. I wish they had spent a little more time with the historical murders. Th0se were the most terrifying parts of the book for me. I loved the offhand way that characters would mention how they saw a clown hanging around all these violent events. Apparently they filmed (or at least scripted) the Black Spot fire, but it will definitely be in the next film. I'm sure they'll hire top notch actors for chapter two, since they'll probably get a blank check after the success of chapter one. I hope they cast Amy Adams as Bev.

13. peopleareleaving

THIS

Macman likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Since I've read the book and seen the television show I don't have much enthusisam to go out to the theater for this. I suppose studios anticipate this with remakes and figure in the age of the audience. The painful lesson you learn compiling a movie collection is all those classics that you love so dearly at some point you realize you have no interest in ever seeing them again

15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I'm glad I saw it in the theater. This is way better than the TV miniseries, and I feel like it's up there with the best Stephen King film adaptations.

Macman likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like the TV miniseries. It's just that Stephen King's material is so hokey that I don't think you can elevate it very far. When this film was coming out naturally the online "magazines" like Vulture were doing their job as The stooges of the studios (" write a cool story about Stephen King movies and we'll let you on Sony lot for a screening, young writer ". My proudest moment of working in Hollywood was going to a screening on Paramonts lot and sitting in the best executive chair in the screening room and falling asleep during " A Clear and Present Danger " most newbies would be buzzing for a week about that opportunity, I saw it is a good chance to catch up on some sleep in a comfy chair. As Hitchcock would've said "it's just a movie." ) with vulture and others putting out articles like "the 10 best Stephen King movies". I realizde there wasn't really a single good Stephen King horror movie ever made -- looking at that list. Even the "dead zone" with a good tortured performance by Christopher Walken to me still feels kind of cheap. People talk about Salems lot being a good movie but I rewatch did lately and it sucks. Sluggish cheap and ineffective. The best king films are the prison movies which are a lot more low-key and clever than his goofy horror film stuff His horror films never seem to get great direction or budgets. They're all b-pictures in my mind. Of course the shining is an a-list picture. But then again, it's not really a Stephen King movie anymore in that film, is it? Thank god.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  17. peopleareleaving

Like you, I was dubious going in and felt it would be a somewhat waste of time.

I was wrong.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The trailer isn't doing anything to bring me into the theater as it looks like a retread. Even Pennywise's make up and appearance is pretty much a retread. I liked that clown in American Horror Story, that was scary as hell make up. I mean the whole evil clown thing is not exactly a fresh concept. But it would be interesting to watch later on video strictly fcomparison sake. And I'm sure it's a pretty good version of the story.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Saw it last night with my son. It was his choice being his 26th birthday and stating that he liked the TV version. I can't remember if I saw the TV version or not so I had to rely upon his opinion for a comparison and he declared this vastly superior in every way. I kept comparing it to "Stand By Me", which I've not seen for a long time, and thought "It" quite good. The kids all turned fine performances. Speaking of kids, before entering the theatre two teen girls with arms full of popcorn and drinks approached us saying they'd been turned away for being underage and needed a guardian to get in. I agreed and when the employee asked me if I even knew their names I replied "of course, this is Laverne and that is Shirley". They sat six seats away just in case.

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Saw it this weekend and am generally positive about it. Very good performances and some very good scares (love the headless kid). I found the final third a bit disappointing in that there were places where it seemed very obvious they'd trimmed scenes for time purposes, which took me out of the picture. I found myself saying, "Wait a minute, how'd x get there?" And there were also a couple of key unanswered questions, like what happened to all of the stolen kids? They give half an answer, then don't bother with the rest. Very annoying.

John K.

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The Mist is an excellent horror movie based on a King story. Maybe still a B movie but a darn good one. The series, however is as bad as the movie was good.

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

This is all interesting to me.....I never knew anyone feared clowns until i was like 45 years old. Different strokes....

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  23. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I really don't get the love for this flick. There's nothing wrong with it and I agree the cast are great but it's just not scary! I was expecting scary :)

Scotian likes this.
  24. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

25. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I liked the movie, but I didn't feel like it introduced the kids well. I would have liked more screen time with them, to get to know them a bit more before the action started.

It also glossed over much of the "history". That part felt rushed.

I assume it will get more fleshed out in the 2nd movie with the kids as adults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.