Superman: The Movie 3 hour TV version coming to Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Warner Archive just announced this on Facebook

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - EXTENDED CUT & SPECIAL EDITION 2-FILM COLLECTION (1978,2000)
    Run Time 188 Minutes-EXTENDED CUT (NEW 2017 1080p HD MASTER)
    151 Minutes-SPECIAL EDITION
    Subtitles Spanish, French, English SDH
    DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English (EXTENDED CUT)
    DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - French, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - Spanish
    ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
    COLOR
    2-BD 50
    Special Features (on Superman The Special Edition Disc): Commentary by Director Richard Donner and Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz; 3 Documentaries Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend and The Magic Behind the Cape; Screen Tests; Restored Scenes; Additional Scenes; Additional Music Cues; Music-Only Track

Decades before blockbuster Extended Cuts were common, Superman proved a true “Man of Tomorrow.” Superman: The Movie received an ahead-of-its-time makeover for its television premiere – nearly 40 more minutes of story, creating a two-night television event. Audiences had already been swept off their feet by Christopher Reeve’s Last Son of Krypton, and now there was more to enjoy. Unseen in decades, this version is paired here with Richard Donner’s definitive vision of his film, the Special Edition Director’s Cut (2000), to create a supersized celebration of Metropolis’ favorite son that preserves the director’s intent while feeding superfan demands.

[​IMG]

MRamble, Vidiot, Keith V and 13 others like this.
  2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

4K version coming out?

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I remember when my dad taped that off TV over the two nights when it aired. He somehow managed to do an almost seamless, in-machine edit at just the right point to join the first part and the second part (in the shot where Superman catches Lois falling from the helicopter). Would be fun to watch that TV version again.

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Pity one of the bonus features isn't the ABC intro with Ernie Anderson's voiceover.

JeffreyB, Texastoyz, inperson and 7 others like this.
  7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Yet the (definitive) theatrical cut still isn't available on Blu ray... y'know, the version actually released in cinemas back in '78!!!

Keith V and hi_watt like this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I saw it on TV but don't remember anything about what was changed.

Forty years later and I still remember seeing it in the theater in 1978.

9. jojopuppyfish

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

finally...

Larry Geller likes this.
  11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

And yet Disney sits on the theatrical versions of the Star Wars trilogy.

:waiting:

12. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Wow! I was not watching much TV back then, so I had no idea this existed. Awesome!

The Hud and MRamble like this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Hopefully.... someday in this galaxy it will get released!

Jason Manley and Encuentro like this.
  14. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Perhaps they'll do the extended tv versions of 2 & 3. Unfortunately the extended version of 3 goes so far into the comedy realm it feels like a Richard Pryor movie that happens to have Superman in it.

seed_drill and MikeInFla like this.
  15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It seems there are two extended cuts, the one prepared for ABC and the Salkind International Extended Cut (also known as the KCOP cut after the station it first aired on). Is there a difference between the two?

Well, some of the footage added to Superman II for TV was footage Donner shot.

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Does the 3-hour TV version have the scene in which Miss Tessmacher is dropped down the elevator shaft? I remember the scene very well, but I'm pretty sure I only saw the scene once despite having seen the film multiple times.

Kind of an odd choice to pair the first film with the Donner cut of the second film, being that they both have the Superman reversing the rotation of the Earth ending.

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It is the 3 hour TV version and the director's cut of the first Superman movie, not the second.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Oh! Thank you for the clarification.

The Hud likes this.
  19. It's wonderful news seeing the extended television cut, never before officially released on home video, getting out on Blu-ray.

Fans have been begging for it for years. I wonder what led to it getting out through Warner Archive. There was little consideration of the television footage in prior Superman box sets.

I have the feeling a 40th Anniversary edition may have been in preparation for 2018 and Warner Bros scuttled those plans.

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. The Hermit

Didn't know that, muchos gracias for the info.

The '78 theatrical cut is the only cut that matters, it's the one that is culturally significant, and the one people should be able to buy separately if they so choose... ditto with the Star Wars theatricals or indeed any theatrical release of cultural note. Even the Lester version of II should be alongside the Donner version in a single purchase, let people decide which to watch.

Has the Lester version of II been given a remastering, what's the PQ on the Blu ray box-set like?

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Here is a comparison between the BluRay's of Donner's cut and Lester's cut.

22. jojopuppyfish

That link I posted has blu ray of Lester II. I think they look good.

There is only one scene I liked in the tv version that I wish was added to the theatrical cut and its when Lois was a little girl and she sees Superman from a train.

Rhett likes this.
  23. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Are Warner Archive releases sometimes "on-demand" DVD-r or BD-r? I hope this one is not. Someone please clarify, Thanks!

24. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. I found this on Wikipedia: "In November 2012, Warner announced that the Archive collection would begin releasing some titles on Blu-ray, with all discs being pressed, unlike the DVD series."

25. The Hermit

The extended version of Superman: The Movie is not the director's cut... Donner's director's cut was the original 1978 theatrical cut; the (slightly) extended version was put together by archivist Michael Thau for the 2000 DVD release of that film, done with only the nominal supervision and approval of Donner himself. Thau wanted to go much further and actually re-edit whole parts of the film, including cutting out the 'Can You Read My Mind' sequence (he hated it), but Donner thankfully put his foot down and instructed Thau to leave it as was, but consented to the additional eight minutes reintegrated back into the film... none of which actually added anything of substance, in my opinion.

Stuart Baird did a terrific job on that movie (they had a mere ten weeks to get it finished in post before release... ten weeks!!!), I see no reason why the powers-that-be can't just leave it alone. A pity Baird didn't return for II, but neither would I after what the Salkinds' did to Donner...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.