Blu-Ray/SACD player recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel S, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy a blu-ray player to play SACD's in a dedicated 2-channel stereo system. My budget is around $500. I found the Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

The OPPO 203 is great, plays 4K discs as well...

3. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

The OPPO 203 is like $550 new or something like that. Right around your budget and it is pretty sweet sounding.

Wounded Land and PhilBiker like this.
  4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Oppo 105D, fantastic music streamer, SACD, HDCD decoding for high quality discs like Reference Recordings, Darby Dan picture enhancement for Blu-ray, it's just a great do everything RIGHT player. :righton:

5. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Can you send a link to a 500 $ oppo 105D ?

bru87tr, quicksrt and mikeyt like this.
  6. Tartifless

Yamaha BD-S681
    Pioneer bdp x300
    Sony also has some in your budget.

dav-here, bhazen and Joel S like this.
  7. Litejazz53

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Think this would get my nod as well as the other usual suspects...

9. Joel S

Thanks for that suggestion. The Yamaha BD-S681 is a budget version of the Aventage without XLR outputs, which I couldn't use anyway.

10. Litejazz53

The thing I'm just not real sure about is the player really giving you DSD (SACD) or is it downgrading to PCM as many of the tiny budget players do. I tried to look at the specs, and it's like reading Hebrew, I could not tell if it's DSD using HDMI or even the HDMI is downgraded to PCM, just don't know, but I would make sure I knew, before I bought that BD-S681, especially if the purpose is to enjoy SACD's. I would make real sure your getting DSD all the way until it turns analog, NO PCM conversions along the way, nope would not want that.

11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

I'm happy with the Yamaha BD-S681.
    SACD & HDCD Yamaha BD-S681 and AVENTAGE BD-A1060 Blu-ray Player Preview
    To improve CD music playback, a CD Mode has been added on both models that disables HDMI video output and reduce disc revolution by 30 percent to reduce unwanted disc vibrations and improve data reading sensitivity which Yamaha claims leads to better audio fidelity.

Also use a Sony X800 for DVD-A & SACD through HDMI.

12. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Does this help?
    Yamaha BD-S681 reads out as DSD on my Yamaha amp through HDMI, just like the Sony X800.

Choose DSD & DSD signals are output from the HDMI jack when an SA-CD or a DSD file is played back.
    (The analog output is muted.)

Choose PCM & PCM (HDMI & A.out) PCM signals are output from the HDMI jack and AUDIO OUT jacks. (Audio signals output from the AUDIO OUT jacks are down mixed to 2-channel sounds.)

dav-here and 4xoddic like this.
  13. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

the Oppo does pure DSD. You can't send DSD through HDMI though, it's a different spec. You have to use the analog outs.

Litejazz53 and Joel S like this.
  14. Joel S

Glad you like your BD-S681. Do you know if it uses DSD decoding?

15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

It's 2017. Can't believe people are still even talking about DSD. That ship has sailed.

Mike-48 and Brother_Rael like this.
  16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Um, that is incorrect. You certainly can stream DSD through HDMI from an Oppo. It's getting DSD from Toslink or Coax (or even downsampled PCM from DSD) which you cannot do without the addition of some specialized hardware.

But you are correct that, for most people, this means using the analog outputs.

17. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

To clarify a bit further, it will work if your receiver/preamp supports it. A lot of receivers are vague on support for decoding DSD, and, I think, most low to mid-range receivers will simply transcode it to PCM, they don't have native DSD-analog converters. If they do they will typically loudly advertise this fact.

quicksrt and Brother_Rael like this.
  18. Joel S

So neither Yamaha BR player will decode DSD except through HDMI? If so, they're out.

McLover and Litejazz53 like this.
  19. Tartifless

Dsd is either through hdmi or converted to analog directly for rca out.
    DSD cannot be output through coax or spdif.

So i don't know what the oppo offers that the yamaha does not !

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  20. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

How do you tend to purchase your surround classical titles?

Wounded Land likes this.
  21. Sony's UBP-X800 UHD player handles pretty much every format, including SACD.

Sony UBP-X800

The pricier UBP-X1000ES does the same but is built more for audiophiles.

bradman likes this.
  22. Brother_Rael

It's not really a downgrade. Minor point, but relevant I think.

I used DSD via HDMI on my old setup before I moved, with the 752BD going into an Onkyo TX-NR818 which handled it. Speakers were Tannoy DC4 which are a nicely revealing little box and were positioned about six feet away. Swapped back and forth between the two formats and didn't find much to write home about. Greater priorities for your sound like elsewhere and these days, with my current actives, I use PCM in any case. I must admit don't feel I'm losing out.

Greater differences can be had by adjusting the position of your speakers, IMO. For the OP, don't sweat the small stuff on formats. Get the right mastering instead, reaps much greater rewards I think, and I'm a big SACD proponent.

dav-here, Dan Steele and bluemooze like this.
  23. Brother_Rael

You'll still get the SACD layer though. Just via a different route. And there really isn't a massive difference worth a damn anyway. IMO again...

And get the Onkyo HF Player app. The paid version gives you pure DSD. See how you get on with that, for less than a tenner, before you splash the cash on a player. Just a thought...

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What does the rest of your two channel system consist of? Do you have a large collection of SACDs? Do you mind buying used?

25. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the X800 & the X1000ES apart from the front display, spec. appears to be the same

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.