Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

How is the sound on Garcia Live 9? Are people liking that one?

2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I like it. It sounds good, and the performances are strong despite some very questionable choices by Martin Fierro at certain points.

Crispy Rob, Daedalus and bmoregnr like this.
  3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Bingo

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Jerry Garcia Band is a favorite of mine, with Melvin Seals on organ and the backup singers blend real good with Garcia.
    Recorded live a very fine album.
    [​IMG]

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

There are a lot of people named "Jerry," but I don't think any of the others are "Jerry." Just like if I said I was listening to "Elvis," you wouldn't think I meant Elvis Costello....

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes, thank you.

On a completely different topic, I got the new Garcia Live vol. 9 for my birthday.

At first I was all "Garcia Live? Which Garcia? Gary Garcia playing 'Pac Man Fever?' Spanish singer Manolo Garcia? Argentine Singer-songwriter Charly Garcia?"

Then I decided to stop being an idiot and posted this.

So far so good; I'm still just on the first song.

adamos, bzfgt, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  7. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Got to a proper PC to look and downloaded today. No other option but 320 MP3. Sounds pretty good in the car today though.

Leviathan likes this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

A little Shining Star, He Ain't Give You None and Ain't No Bread in the Breadbox in the mix tonight, among others.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I wish they would have put recording dates in the liner notes on this. Ditto for the self-titled Jerry Garcia Band and How Sweet It Is... releases. My other complaint is that the cover is hideous. But I've got no complaints about the music on that release, it's nice to have some of the later additions to the JGB repertoire that are unreleased or infrequently released elsewhere.

10. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

BREADBOX!!!!!'

adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. ianuaditis

I think Garcia Live Vol 9 deserves a better plug than my sarcastic dig at clueless members who prompted the thread title change.

Apart from the entire band blowing the intro to the first song, it's entirely fabulous. La La, Harder They Come, and Ain't no Woman like the One I've Got are my highlights.

corry342 of "Lost Live Dead" fame has an article discussing how the 71-74 Garcia/Saunders/LOM setup was basically modeled on jazz groups, and it's since reading that I really 'get' those early configurations.

They were basically a jazz group playing R&B/rock/funk/jazz standards. (Hearing Grant Green's 1971 record recently also helped carry this home for me.)

My only gripe with Garcia #9 is that when Garcia is not playing leads, his volume is a bit high, especially vis-a-vis Saunders. But that's a minor issue.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Attack of the Koons

Otherwise. I listened to Shining Star for the first time recently, and was very happy with it.

13. ianuaditis

:eek: I'm sillier than this man?

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  14. wavethatflag

I was just looking at a GD/Star Wars meme you didn't post, Jerry as Yoda. I couldn't post it here. It says, "Know, I don't," "The roses, it must have been." But photoshopped Jerry as Yoda is just hideous.

Edit: And earlier I wasn't saying you were sillier than me. I meant whoever is creating the memes. But if you are creating them, well ...

Crispy Rob, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  15. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

16. ianuaditis

LOL, no I am not creating them, but am certainly silly enough to post them.

I was actually looking at something to post about that cover when you posted, but I realized it kind of supersedes all memes, doesn't it.

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  17. ianuaditis

I've heard this once before - It's never been out on CD, evidently there are no plans with the revival of Round Records, to put out Round's back catalog.

I think they should put out everything Garcia was on, his solo on "Who Was John" is something else anyway, and he even sings on the last song.

Maybe a subscription/ pre-order kind of deal, but I bet Donna Jean owns this album and its probably up to her.

18. Wow, yes this should be available on CD. Hunter's albums, too.

Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox and ianuaditis like this.
  19. ianuaditis

Apparently there is a thread on it here:
    Keith and Donna (Godchaux) album: why no CD?

And Hunter's stuff has come out on CD, at least much of it, but it's definitely time for a reissue of his two discs on Round, which are basically Garcia productions with Bob singing. (well, Tiger Rose is, the other just features Garcia/Hart/Godchaux etc.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    budwhite and Blue Note like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, but the CD versions of Tiger Rose and Tales of the Great Rumrunners are remixes with re-recordings of Hunter vocals done in 1988 or so, and Jack O' Roses, perhaps the most essential of Hunter's solo albums, has never been issued on CD.

southamorican likes this.
  21. ianuaditis

I thought it was just Tiger Rose that was the redone vocals. I think that might be a tough sell for Hunter, I thought I recalled a fairly recent interview where he talks about how bad the original vocals were.

I agree Jack O Roses is the most essential, though it may be a harder to get a release due to absence of Garcia.

Blue Note likes this.
  22. wavethatflag

I like "Promontory Rider." (Territory ranger.)

budwhite, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  23. ianuaditis

I don't know if I count this as Classic JGB, but still a great set. I like the synth, it was 1980 after all, and love the Hunter cameo.

[​IMG]

laf848, Bracton, adamos and 2 others like this.
  24. wavethatflag

Of course it is! In my mind it's the Martin Fierro factor that can take it out of the classic ranks.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  25. Absolutely essential. It's really a shame this one is not widely available, for the full version of Terrapin alone.