Record stores in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by e.s., Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Staying in Honolulu for the week. Planning to check out Hungry Ear and Idea's Music & Books today, but curious if there are other spots worth checking out. Mainly looking for vinyl, so CD-only shops aren't of much interest.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

John Adam likes this.
  3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I'm going in January and would be interested as well. Vinyl and cd work for me.

4. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

@e.s. you mentioned Honolulu. See below.

@LonesomeDayBlues which island (s) are you visiting? The Big Island has zilch, to my knowledge! I only see physical CD's and DVD's at Walmart and Target. Maui has "Request Music" in Wailuku, which I've been to several times. They even have Record Store Day in April. Kauai has nothing that I am aware of. Oahu (where Honolulu/Waikiki is) probably is your best bet overall. Hungry Ear Records were in the process of moving and don't know if they reopened or not. Have not been there in 2017. But Mom and Pops close everyday in this business as we all know, so I would call first. Sadly these are the only two that I know of personally. Everything used to be here at one time, even Tower, Honolulu. The industry has changed. The same thing that allows us to communicate here in an off-handed way, is causing the demise of the physical record store/CD shop.

There are a couple of others from Hawaii on SHF. @HILO and there is one other from Honolulu I think. I do not know either one of these folks. Maybe do a shout-out!

On the other hand, if you love plants, water, sand and tropical weather to play in, this is the greatest place in the world. Music used to be my #1, now where I live is. I have only 1/16 of the physical collection I had a year ago. I had to scale it back to make my dream a reality. No regrets. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck to both of you!

Mr. LP Collector, Tim Wilson and e.s. like this.
  5. John Adam

Hi Cory! How are ya! Doin' any jive-talkin' lately? :D

c-eling likes this.
  6. e.s.

Thanks, @John Adam.

Hungry Ear was indeed open. It's a nice shop with room to grow. Idea's Books & Music is across the street and has a ton of used vinyl and CDs. Both are worth a visit. A shame there aren't more shops, but as you say, the natural beauty of the island more than makes up for it.

John Adam and Tim Wilson like this.
  7. John Adam

Have fun and enjoy Hawaii. Look forward to Oahu in the early part of next year. Glad you found some places to music shop! Aloha, -JA

e.s. likes this.
  8. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Thanks gents... Oahu in January. I do it every year with the wife and kids.

DeeThomaz and e.s. like this.
  9. John Adam

Here is an additional shout out to @Manapua. The Honolulu SHF forum member. Mahalo!

Manapua likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Right back atcha! Mahalo nui loa.

John Adam likes this.
  11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah on Oahu, Walmart, Target and Barnes & Noble in Ala Moana Shopping Center are pretty much all that's left for physical product in department stores. I'm pretty sure Hungry Ear is still operating, probably on the Windward side. Jellys may still be in Kakaako. That's your best bet for new and used vinyl as well as cds. It's in a warehouse type building not too far from the Ward Theaters. B&N also carries new vinyl but it's pretty limited.

John Adam likes this.
  12. e.s.

Hungry Ear is definitely open, right across the street from Idea's Music & Books on Auahi St. I didn't find much in either shop, but they were both nice places I would visit regularly if I lived here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.