USB Meets its match - the Schiit Eitr (pronounced "Eater")

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by toddrhodes, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

So this makes you disregard the company and not even give them a shot? Ok then...

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is Schiit's 80k car though? Their whole premise is low-cost, high-performance. One only need look at their now-defunct Lodi product (DSD-DAC) and maybe even their Wyrd to know they really don't believe in snake oil but sometimes they will make a product due to demand to keep the lights on which I find refreshing, but I realize that's almost taboo in some circles. My point is, their most expensive product, Yggdrasil, is $2300 or thereabouts and is almost universally lauded as one of the best, or at least most highly-differentiated DACs one can buy.

I mean, the Eitr is $179. It, in combination with my Anthem D2 sounds fabulous where in the past, I'd almost relegated my very good digital library to background music. It's a great little product for anyone getting audio out from a Pi, PC, or streamer via USB.

Puma Cat and SirMarc like this.
  3. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

A company with a dopey name is not something I would normally seek out, but the fact they make excellent sounding, stylish gear won me over. I've purchased a couple of their DACs and various USB and analog upgrades. It's all great sounding stuff.

brock likes this.
  4. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

How about Krell? Named after a fictional alien race from the planet Altair in "Forbidden Planet?" Or, Lampizator? Now, there's a name one can seriously...;)

Amyway, its cool, because Schiit wouldn't want you to take them too seriously.

They're just trying to do something really simple: make high quality audio products for customers that provide high value and bring some fun back to audio.

And for what Eitr does for USB output from a computer to a DAC S/PDIF interface, its performance punches way, way above it's price.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    SirMarc likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, impress your friends - "Here is my latest component - the Sh** Eater"... :agree::sigh:

Aftermath and crooner like this.
  6. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

My friends would - and have - laughed. Instant brand recognition. For some reason, lay people that they are, they look at me like I have three heads when I tell them my turntable is a "PolyTable Super12 by GEM Dandy." Doesn't help that I say it like the complete nerd that I am, but the point stands.

Kristofa and Chris Schoen like this.
  7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Sorry for adding to the pointless name debate, but the German word "Eiter" means pus. Even with the dropped "e" it's hard not to cringe when reading that name.

crooner likes this.
  8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I'm a fan, and usually 'get' the joke, but pus? Yikes

9. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Ok, this is from Wikipedia, I feel better now lol.

'Eitr is a mythical substance in Norse mythology. This liquid substance is the origin of all living things: the first giant Ymir was conceived from eitr. The substance is supposed to be very poisonous and is also produced by Jörmungandr (the Midgard serpent) and other serpents'.

10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I buy their stuff and I don't think about the names. Works for me.

11. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Y'all are sensitive.

billnunan likes this.
  12. k4rstar

k4rstar Well-Known Member

USB Gen5/Eitr is pretty good. A decent CD transport will still wipe the floor with it, but for USB it's pretty good and cheap.

13. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

So how does this work over the Modi 2? I go USB to Modi to amp. Is this another stage?

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

To use the Eitr you need a DAC that has a coaxial S/PDIF input. The Modi 2 only has a USB input. You'd need the Modi 2 Uber that has S/PDIF inputs.

15. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Sorry it's the Uber I have. So this just improves the sound of the USB output?

16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Yes, it would be an improved USB input to feed the DAC. Bypassing the built-in USB that is in the Modi 2 Uber.

Jasonb likes this.
  17. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I don't buy gear to impress my friends. I buy it because it improves the sound of my system. I could give a schiit what the name is. :D

Chris Schoen and 33na3rd like this.
  18. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Altair IV. Altair is the system's sun.

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Congrats Todd, cool stuff when an inexpensive upgrade opens a whole new world. If I needed a DAC I would certainly put Schiit on my list.

toddrhodes likes this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

It really bother you that much? Isn't it the sound that matters? Personally I like their sense of humor marketing approach.
    In fact, they should think about partnering with Effen Vodka. Think about it.

JohnCarter17, toddrhodes and SirMarc like this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Or Shinola...lol

Aftermath, toddrhodes and avanti1960 like this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It doesn’t bother me one bit. I just said I can’t take them seriously.

As part of my job, I get to name products, write press releases, etc. for one of the biggest companies in America. Schiit’s sense of humor (?) just doesn’t appeal to me, and of course it’s fine that others enjoy it, and their products.

crooner likes this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

For me, the company name and the product names are merely tongue in cheek. They capture attention, but they can't keep it. Once you're browsing, the engineering philosophy and pricing strategy really draw you in. The rave reviews help, too.

I got an Asgard when the company was still pretty young. Then I got a Mani. Then a Sys . . . . Now I'm considering one of their DACs and maybe even the turntable, if it gets great reviews. It's going to need to beat Rega at its price point.

But I think the overall selling point is that you get quality products at reasonable prices from Schiit. It's like audiophilia for the rest of us.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  24. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Shinola... blech. But that's another story.

25. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Who cares?

JohnCarter17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.