OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are some sample settings up on the AVSForum, but they may not be applicable to your specific unit. All of them are a little different. I would start with ISF Night Mode, which turns a lot of bad stuff off. Everything else, you pretty much need a guy to come by and set up with test signals and a colorimeter. SMPTE color bars will at least tell you if the PLUGE pulse is correct for black level:

[​IMG]

HDR is a flag that has to be inserted in the HDMI stream and I'm not convinced a PC can necessarily do it. I have had no problem with an Amazon Fire box or tuning in Netflix on either the Fire or an LG 4K Blu-ray player. And the set itself can be connected to the net and you can use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and the other apps actually inside the set.

Apple does not yet have a 4K Apple TV box, but I suspect they will in a few months.

The Fry's ad on the net says $3200 for the 65", which is in keeping with what we just saw at Costco:

Fry's Electronics | LG C7

It's always possible the local store manager went crazy (or made a mistake) and sold it cheaper, but this is what they're advertising on the Fry's website. Even $3000 is a great price for a 65" OLED that's decent.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Will any tv series come out with 4k media like Game Of Thrones ?

3. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm super confused on how to set PLUGE for HDR - I guess I'll slosh through all the posts and patterns on AVS forum and try to figure it out today.

I can get Windows 10 with an Nvidia 1060 card to send HDR but it's always sending it. I guess I'll just have to flip the controls manually for now.

And Fry's deals that I spoke abut for the OLEDs are in store and you got to talk to the salesman for deals. I was back at Fry's in San Diego yesterday and the salesman said it's exactly the same out the door price I got on Thursday of $2700. Fry's usually has deals on their high end TVs if you ask .

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Brightness down until you can only just barely see the PLUGE pulse. The trick is the balance between Brightness and Contrast.

The only prices I can prove are the ones that are visible on the web. Anything else is a deal you're making with the salesman.

5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The Sony A1E OLED would be the only TV I would upgrade from my panny GT50 plasma which I still think looks better than the 4K LEDs IMO .. The Sony truly impressed me and reminds me of a supercharged upgrade from my plasma into the 4K OLED realm ! I love the fact I have 3D on my plasma as well .. If i decide to upgrade will just move the plasma to another room for the 3D titles I have ;) I have had my plasma since 2012 if the Sony drops even further in price by the end of the year I may pull the trigger (of course that means getting a 4K oppo 205 to go with it !! ! Lol !!) we will see but still very happy with my Panny plasma and oppo 105D ! ;)

6. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I can't find a 4K HDR or Dolby Vision PLUGE anywhere.

Netflix does have a show called "Test Patterns" that has 1 weird chart in like 20 resolutions and formats, but no pluge on it.

Why don't TV manufacturers build these in?

White_Noise likes this.
  7. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Don't you mean UHD collection is HDR ?

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

For that, you buy a Spectracal Calman alignment package, signal generator, and a colorimeter:

Display Color Calibration

If you can't afford to buy the package... then you hire a guy.

9. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Taking delivery of an LG Oled set this Friday and have a couple of questions. First if the set has Dolby Vision do I need a 4K blu ray player that has DV? For 3D will I need a 4K player or will my Oppo 103 suffiice for the time being? Thanks

10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The 2017 models do not do 3D. But if you got one that can do 3D you'll need a bluray player that is 3D capable.

You can watch Dolby Vision content from Netflix, or you need a 4K Bluray player that has it. Right now I think the Oppo UDP-203 and the Oppo UDP-205 are the only ones that do it.

The LG UP 970 had a firmware update enable it recently - but I understand it had issues and they pulled the firmware and are re-releasing it shorty.

the LG can be picked up for $140-$250 depending on sales/etc. Oppos start at $549.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not just the 2017 models. No models will ever be able to play 3D because 3D is not a part of the UHD specification. It simply isn't supported. Until that changes (if it ever does), you're out of luck...

12. On the 2016 models you can turn it on through a DSP setting and make any content 3D.

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

My 2016 LG 4K plays 3D just fine, just not in 4K.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, like I said, UHD spec doesn't support 3D, which is why you can't play it in 4k. The players should be backward compatible to HD, which will give you 3D in HD (1k).

15. Can you make sense of page 5 of this forum discussion? Apparently people are saying LG 3D OLEDs are capable of 4k 3D. While I understand UHD hasnt implemented 3D yet, it is possible. Also, when I viewed an UHD HDR video online and switched on the 3D option in the TV settings it looked identical to the regular video except there were 3D images popping out of the screen. Was the content halved and ultra realistic or was it UHD?

UHD/4K Blu-ray Format will not support 3D! - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That makes no sense on two counts - UHD doesn't support 3D and LG panels do not support 3D of any kind. Now, perhaps people are talking about old LG panels which did support HD 3D, but those would be legacy panels these days. If any current model TV supports 3D, it will be at the Bluray HD level.

17. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

How does the lg OLED 65EF9500 compare to the 2016 lg c6 OLED
    I think it's a 2015 model

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I did a lot of research on this and everything pointed me toward the C6.

Which I bought and I love. Get the C6 - you will not regret it!

19. Larry Geller

The 4K set uses the 4K to display 3D at FULL 1080P, not half rezd, like an HD set would do. Nobody said it was IN 4K, just that 4K sets can finally display a 1080P 3D image properly, which no 1080P set could do.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think all the contemporary 4K models have abandoned 3D in favor of HDR. My thought is that HDR is easier to implement and easier to watch, since you can see it from anywhere in the room, lying down on your side, walking around, sitting down, whatever you want to do. 3D requires 100% of the viewer's attention and a fixed position to really work properly.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not sure what you mean by 'finally' because no current OLED sets support 3D, at any resolution. The set based 3D processing has been discontinued (for some time now). It might still work on older generation sets.

22. Larry Geller

Not "some time now". THIS year. My set is a 2016 LG. It's soooo ancient.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

2016 models aren't current gen - they turn over pretty quickly. What is the model number?

24. Larry Geller

65E6. And, I know, as of 2017, 3D is dead. That's why I ran and bought a 2016.

25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Would anyone know of an OLED 4K TV, 50 inch or bigger, that has all the current apps and a full 5 HDMI ports?

Many thanks,
    Stereoguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.