Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

There are very good to excellent (on the analog scale) audience tapes of:

1-7 June 1978 concerts at the Universal Ampitheater, Los Angeles -- booted.
    28 October 1978 Carbondale
    28 October 1978 St. Louis
    16 November 1978 Los Angeles -- booted.

1 July 1978 Nuremberg -- booted.
    3-8 Paris 1978 Paris -- booted.
    15 July 1978 Blackbushe -- booted.

with lovely performances of Tangled Up In Blue. The Paris shows were taped on a reel-to-reel and are more full-bodied than most audience tapes, really beautiful sounding. The arrangement doesn't change in the Fall but the playing and delivery do, emotionally.

2. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

My wife often whispers "Id pay him just to breathe and not sing"
    Sometimes its not a whisper.

bobcat, bluesbro, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

BS 13 gives me hope for a similar '78 format--part compilation (discs representing best selections and rarities from Far East, Euro, and US legs) along with a couple of whole shows.

The Bard likes this.
  4. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

It's November 28.

Richard--W likes this.
  5. Richard--W

Divorce her, and quick. Before she divorces you.

The Bard likes this.
  6. 'Tangled Up in Blue' was not played at Blackbushe, much to my frustration having told friends who went with me what a stellar performance there had been at the Earl's Court Shows.

If memory serves me well, there is a Compilation Boot of highlights from the Summer European leg of the tour, which does include TUIB

There is definitely a fairly decent quality audience tape of 'Earl's Court' - I have one.

Best Wishes,
    David

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

My thoughts on future releases:

BOTT

I would agree that when the BOTT Bootleg Series finally appears(hopefully this time next year) it will include the Rolling Thunder Revue documentary with the deluxe edition. It fits in with the time period and Dylan's management have already stated previously that it has been filmed but there is no market for stand alone DVD releases these days.

I also think that there will be Planet Waves, Desire and possibly Pat Garrett outtakes on this release. Whilst I feel we will get the complete BOTT sessions on a deluxe edition, there has never been a Bootleg Series of studio material focusing purely on 1 album. They have all been from a particular time period-Cutting Edge, Tell Tale Signs, Another Self Portrait etc.

Street Legal

More live shows from the tour would be most welcome. This could be combined with the piano demos(if they exist) and the demos which were recorded in May 1978 and later given to Eric Clapton (Stop Now, Coming From The Heart, Walk Out In The Rain, If I Don't be There By Morning). However as these songs were co written by Helena Springs I have my doubts if they will ever see a release.

Infidels

I'm sure if this release appears, it will include recordings from the Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove and Empire Burlesque sessions. I have a bootleg of outtakes from the Infidels sessions and I don't think there is enough quality there to fill much more than half a cd never mind 2 discs.

Oh Mercy

I don't follow why they would plan to revisit Oh Mercy again. I would have thought they had already picked the best stuff for Tell Tale Signs. If there are still some worthy outtakes from the sessions then I would expect they would add more from the Bromberg Sessions and maybe combine it with The Supper Club shows for the deluxe edition.

John Wesley Harding

It's anyone's guess what will happen with the JWH sessions. I can't see a copyright dump at the end of the year nor can I forsee a stand alone release. The only possibility I can think of is that they may be included in a future BS deluxe edition.

As far as the rest of Dylan's studio output is concerned, the copyright dumps for 1962, 1963 & 1964 means it's unlikely they will release anything further from this era on a future BS. Ditto anything else from the Another Self Portrait period including the Cash and Harrison sessions. I was disappointed that there are so few studio outtakes in the new box set and I can't see the likes of Magic and Let's Keep It Between Us released anytime soon.

Tom Schreck, Sean, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  8. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Wow. None of this is going to happen in the way you've suggested at all. :D

9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what might happen instead.... :agree:

Sean, warewolf95, AGimS and 3 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG]

Holy cow! This is today! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... ;)

Sean and warewolf95 like this.
  11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I hope V14 is Blood On The Tacks related. That said, anything that comes out will, I'm sure, be a treasure trove.

12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Wow that's a cool list!

Looks perfect to me except that I would move Oh Mercy and UTRS into their own bracket.

13. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

That vol 13 god dreck is the absolute nadir of the great man's career, is entirely irrelevant in the larger scheme and doesn't work for me AT ALL so I am looking forward to whatever 14 may bring.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm hoping for 'Christmas In The Heart' sessions. I heard he recorded over 80 songs for the album.

Jimmy B. and Sean like this.
  15. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Vol 14, at present or at least the last I heard, will be 'Blood On The Tracks'.
    No 'Desire' or 1974 or 1978 material or anything else.

There WILL be an 'Infidels' era set not dissimilar to the Gospel set, but not quite yet. There's a lot of interesting stuff from these studio sessions - (acoustic 'Jokerman' anyone?) and other places around 1983/84, but not with 85/86/87 material.

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Acoustic "Jokerman" is tickling my fancy.

I notice the dates you mention wouldn't preclude a BOTT set from including Rolling Thunder Revue material (don't know if that counts as Desire).

Tom Schreck and Sean Murdock like this.
  17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't you like hearing him so passionately inspired – whatever the subject matter?

18. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Hoping Mr. Rosen will compile these in the not too distant future:

The Bootleg Series Vo. XX: The Soundtracks

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)....alternate versions, outtakes, tracks used in the film but not included on the soundtrack album.....

My Own Love Song (2010)....all the music written and performed by Dylan for the film, plus alternates/outtakes....

Hearts of Fire (1987)...the 3 released tracks on the soundtrack album, plus outtakes/alternates....

Masked And Anonymous (2003)...the four released tracks on the soundtrack album, tracks used in the film but not included on the soundtrack album...outtakes/alternates...

This would be a great opportunity to collect several unique tracks dispersed over several soundtrak albums:

Band of the Hand (1986): Band of the Hand
    Flashback (1990): People Get Ready
    Natural Born Killers (1994): You Belong to Me
    Jerry Maguire (1996): Shelter from the Storm (Alternate)
    Feeling Minnesota (1996): Ring of Fire
    The 60s (1999): Chimes of Freedom (with Joan Osborne)
    The Sopranos-Peppers & Eggs (Amour Fou episode-2001): Return to Me
    Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (2002): Waitin' on You
    North Country (2005): Tell Ol' Bill

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: Rolling Thunder Revue 1975-1976

8-10 CDs.... plus 3 DVDs of Hard Rain (1976 TV Special), The unused footage shot in Clearwater, Florida, World of John Hammond footage, Renaldo & Clara footage....

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: Live 1963

The complete Town Hall and Carnegie Hall concerts under one cover...

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: The Village

6-8 CDs of pre Columbia Records recordings

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: The Supper Club, CD/DVD box set

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: The NET

10-12 CD box set

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: True Confessions Tour

Multidisc box set including "Hard to Handle" (audio CD & DVD), the recordings from the "Superstars in Concert Series" available as radio station discs.....

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: The Complete Freewheelin' Sessions

The Bootleg Series Vol. XX: Stray Tracks

A multi disc box set of every officially released Bob Dylan Track/duet (too many to list here) that has never been released on a US Dylan album. Even though I have all of these on officially released LPs, CDs, singles, tapes, I would buy this in a heartbeat. Long overdue.
    Nice if they included DVD of all the official music videos, film promos, guest TV appearanes....

19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I'm still thinking there may be a 1975 box outside of the bootleg series, similar to the 1966 box.

20. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Why not a Live '75-'76 box set?

PS: I like your "soundtracks set" idea. Hadn't thought of presenting the material in that way before.

The Bard likes this.
  21. Richard--W

No hope of a 1979 tour box or download, eh?
    26 shows, 52 discs.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  22. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

I'm definitely in for studio material from that era, live not so much. 84 band was one of his worst.

23. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I think when you hear the soundboards and multitracks from the tour you will change your opinion. 'Real Live' isn't very representative and the mix isn't great. There are some fantastic professionally recorded shows from this tour.

24. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Not sure we will see all 4 Supper Clubs released as the sets did not vary much. Saying that I never thought we would see a 17 disc collection of everything from 65-66, so what do I know. Just think that the releases will focus on a studio album period more than a live period. I would love to see an Infidels set - this would not be difficult as loads of outtakes / boots from this period. Maybe add in a complete 1984 show as we know from Real Live that some were professionally recorded.

Trouble No More is the release I am looking forward to the most. The Cutting Edge - some of which I have probably only listened to once and I am still to buy the 66 Live Box Set as I just don't think I would get around to listening to most of it. Tell Tale Signs was phenomenal and so was Another Self Portrait. Bootleg Series to me is going from strength to strength. Releases such as Whitmark Demos and 1964 live I simply do not play at all - as great as they are.

Heylin has stated that Blood on Tracks set is completed and ready to go. My money is on this one next. Who knows!!

Tom Schreck and warewolf95 like this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I enjoy Real Live but I can understand why folks might not like it too much. So if it gets even better, then count me in!

warewolf95 and bobcat like this.