Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The recent vinyl reissue is 3 tracks. The 6 track version is still available on CD. Used 1990 vinyl is expensive.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah. I'd like a new one. :)

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

They're not the same tracks, though. The '77 reissue EP (actually released in '79) features Elton and Clive Franks' remixed versions, where they took out The Spinners backing vocals. The '89 Complete version restored the original backing vocals and tracks as done in the original sessions.

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Exactly. I want the version with the Spinners.

5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I think you can still find originals on vinyl of the Complete sessions. They're kind of rare, but I've seen them out there.
    I agree - I prefer to listen to the entire session as originally mixed by Bell.

6. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I swear this is true. I dreamt last night that Blue Moves came with a 3rd record, because Elton felt anyone that purchased the album must really be a fan of it, and deserved bonus cuts. It was great, it had live stuff.

7. Did you eat really late ? :tiphat:

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

EJ had a great voice and feel for that Philly Soul material - it's a damn shame he and Bell didn't see eye-to-eye.

fredblue likes this.
  9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Trigger warning! Haven't played it yet but it's g-d gorgeous. Last copy at Amoeba Hollywood this morning--I'm assuming the rest sold yesterday or they consulted Mazzy to gauge demand :laugh:

[​IMG]

10. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Just got my copies of Empty Sky, Blue Moves and The Big Picture. Haven't played any yet - but it's nice to see they replicated the original sleeves and label of BM.

Darrin Crawford and fredblue like this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Haven't had much time to compare pressings yet but I did spend about 20 minutes with "Chameleon" last night. The new LP is definitely a darker presentation compared to original US MCA. EJ vocals sounded kinda recessed compared to the MCA--not bad, just different. Piano sounds lovely on both. BG vocals seemed more spread out on MCA but another listen or six is necessary. Gobs of gooey bass on both but on first blush it was easier to hear distinct notes on the MCA. What I don't know is how this album really should sound--if my MCA was the 10,345,987th one stamped then maybe the new one is more representative. I'd be happy with either, so far. Of course the biggest problem with the original MCAs is--news flash!--vinyl quality suckage. The new one had a handful of tickies here and there (more noticeable of course on quieter tracks like "Tonight") but what a pleasure to not be mentally anticipating and then annoyed by all the surface noise on my MCA pressing.

12. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Interesting - I had a Rocket pressing of Blue Moves. It's a tough album, so many quiet songs, plenty of places to hear ticks, etc - anxious to play the new release.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think Blue Moves original will be hard to beat, it really sounds great!

14. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

It sounds great but every pressing I have bought (sealed only) has been noisy as hell. It's virtually impossible to get a clean sounding version. Truly hoping the reissue rectifies this.

richbdd01 likes this.
  15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I no longer have my original UK copy of Empty Sky somehow (maybe I purged it at some point?), but my memory said the sleeve was textured. Was that actually the case or am I remembering wrong? The new version definitely isn't textured...

16. Glad you got their last copy. Or their only copy? :tiphat:

e.s. likes this.
  17. Wish I had known. I actually had a clean quiet copy several months ago but got rid of it. Would have sent it to you gratis.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The rest have shipped to your door.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Yes I saw where you got rid of it. :laugh:

kenbefound, e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It was definitely textured. I have a copy. The sound is OK on that, but his next album (S/T) was a big advance, sound-quality-wise. I am curious if anyone has compared the new Empty Sky remaster/vinyl pressing to the original. I really dig the album, and played it many many times when I first got hold of an import copy in the early 70s.

21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Broken record.

22. Literally.

Have some fun. That’s what Music and collecting is all about. .

e.s. and teag like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah. Agreed.

Mazzy likes this.
  24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Okay, glad I wasn't imagining that. Still hoping my original is somewhere around here, because I would like to compare the two. The new one sounds quite nice.

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Where is it pressed?