Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

sigh. maybe time to go up to PS4.

sure feels like they could make new discs that work given that later ones were functional though...

thanks

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

"Life Begins At The Hop" is included on the deluxe Drums & Wires, including a stereo and 5.1 remix. It's well worth searching this package out.

bluerondo likes this.
  3. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Pre ordered.
    So looking at the burning shed listing, its hard to tell right now whether Colin held back some demo's from this project or not. Looks like he will be contributing to the liner notes (unless his comments are taken from an older source)

4. van1

van1 Forum Resident

A separate topic is also up for TC&I

TC&I: New music from Colin Moulding & Terry Chambers (XTC)

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It would be great if they included XTC At The Manor:

dthomas850 likes this.
  6. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Always happy to give Andy my $25.

Very much looking forward to hearing the live band demos for Black Sea.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The recent [2016] re-master of English Settlement is very good, to the extent this is not a SW-mix priority for me.

Next up might be "Big Express" or "Mummer" for me.

8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Nah, according to earlier details released, the track was the original studio master and the 5.1 was a Penteo upmix.

9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Don't buy a PS4 for audio. This What Hi-Fi review tells you what you already know: that sound & picture quality were a low priority when PS4 was being designed compared to graphics processing and other gaming functions. A 'proper' BR player will also cost you less.

DaverJ, Plan9, FVDnz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I hope that this is released as a vinyl set together with Nonsuch and Drums And Wires (previously remixed by SW) in a similar fashion to English Settlement and Skylarking. Sound quality and pressing on those two were superb. In fact let's have the entire catalogue out on vinyl again!

11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Can't do 5.1 on vinyl, only quad.

12. As a big fan of XTC and Steven Wilson's work this is an automatic purchase. I know it's going to be great.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

He's talking about the stereo vinyl reissues of Skylarking and English Settlement, not multichannel mixes.

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

But this thread is about the 5.1 mix of Black Sea according to the thread title ;)

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You can't mention vinyl on here without some people getting into a frenzy :). I'm sure some will be buying the CD/DVD for the stereo version and in the past there have been SW stereo mixes or original stereo mixes to vinyl in tandem (for Tull, KC and XTC).

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  16. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I get it, but, I’m just an album guy. I want to be immersed in the longer journey and want to be exausted and satiated at the conclusion.

17. November 10th release date, in case it hasn't been mentioned yet?

18. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Go to Audiogon and look for a used Oppo BR player: it will play everything. Maybe a BDP-95? Should be cheap now.

Mooserfan, FVDnz and ad180 like this.
  19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The Second Disc has posted a track list for the CD (still no more details on the Blu-ray):
    Generals and Majors: Steven Wilson Remixes XTC's 'Black Sea' (UPDATED WITH TRACK LIST)

MrSka57 and FVDnz like this.
  20. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

ordered like all the previous.

SteveM likes this.
  21. The BR will obviously contain a "flat transfer" of the original stereo mix and the new Steven Wilson remix. I don't do surround but I'd appreciate a new mastering of the album without unnecessary compression. Does Steven Wilson actually remaster the original mix or does he simply remix the original and then hand the materials over to a mastering engineer who masters both the remix and the original stereo?

22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I was under the impression that "flat transfer" meant "no mastering." I could be wrong.

23. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

For the last few years Steven Wilson has insisted that everything he mixes is released as a 'flat transfer' - post mixing he made made a couple of minor adjustments to compression and limiting to ensure the levels of the tracks match, but that was it. His latest solo release marked a change of heart (possibly brought on by a change of record label, who knows) - To The Bone featured all tracks bar one mixed by SW (Permanating was mixed by someone else), and it was mastered by Tim Young at Metropolis Studios. Unless someone else has insider info, we shall have to wait and see!

SteveM likes this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

In this case SW does not touch the original mix.
    The old tape is transferred flat to digital, meaning no mastering beyond maybe levels and trimming silences.

When SW is finished remixing the album from the multis, there is no mastering by somebody else on it either. He may choose to add some limiting but that's usually it.

25. Thanks to both of you! This makes me quite happy and confident to pre-order the new release, unheard.