Any Owners of the MUSICAL FIDELITY - MX-VYNL MM/MC phono preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lymbo, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

If so, do you have any opinions of it's performance that you'd care to share?

2. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Curious about this too.

3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

This may be of some value to you, even though I don't own the MX-VYNL ... I own a Musical Fidelity kW500 integrated amp and the phono section in it is top notch. You would have to spend more than $1000-15000 to better it. I would assume that the MX-VYNL is based on this design. I recall that Fremer may have reviewed the MX-VYNL in Stereophile and he gave it a very positive review. Apologies for not being able to provide comments specific to this unit.

4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Fremer reviewed the M1 Vinl. MX-vynl is a newer phono stage.

Preston likes this.
  5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Bumping this thread...Any experiences? How this compares to ifi iphono2?

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have the cheaper V90 LPS stage. I would imagine the main difference is adjustability and balanced operation ( the later of limited benefit). Both come with a basic plug top PS. It is little known there is an upgraded brick (switching) power supply and I suspect that will give close results to the expensive model using the V90 LPS (for around £300) providing your cartridge is happy with the fixed loading values. Worth a look given the Ifi's reported reliability issues. All those microswitches can't help the sound IMO. The upgrade PS makes a big improvement to the V90 LPS.

punkmusick likes this.
  7. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

I own one and use it daily.
    Excellent IMO

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Spend more than $15,000 ??? Wow. Must be pretty darn good.

Preston likes this.
  9. Classicrock

It came joint fourth in Fremer's Analog Planet phono stage comparison and the most expensive and top rated was $4500.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is there a brick for the MX and would it improve it?
    You mean the load switches on the MX?

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Trying to figure out:
    - are the both outputs simultaneously active with one turntable plugged in or it is either balanced in - balanced out OR rca in - rca out?
    - what are the base gain values when the gain switch is at zero?

12. Classicrock

MX VYNL uses same power unit. Got mine from Germany (£160). I believe the dial at front controls settings so no switches. (was referring to the Ifi Phono). The power supply should make a significant difference for the outlay.

Musical Fidelity Upgrade Power Supply Suitable for use with MX VYNL &V90 series | eBay

Musical Fidelity MX - VYNL High Perfomance MM/MC PHONO Vorverstärker NEU !!! | eBay

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is this brick an official accessory since it has MF sticker on it? Why it's not presented on the site and is it available through the MF dealers?

14. Classicrock

It appears to be an official product but I am wondering if it is just available on the German market as UK dealers aren't listing it. Supplied with continental 2 pin plug which needs a converter though labeling is in English. Frankly supplying an £800 stage with a plug top is pretty stingy and a decent power supply is essential for it to work optimally. You can get 3rd party matching linear supplies from MCRU/Brook Audio or Mark Grant but they are around £250 and may invalidate the warranty if anything goes wrong. Got mine from William Thakker through Amazon but they are out of stock at present. You can also get chinese supplies for under £40 which I know work well with DACS.

15. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

It's good, but not THAT good: I meant $1500.

16. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Anyone knows?

17. Ole Jakob

Ole Jakob Forum Resident

I have been using MX-VYNL for a couple of years now. Replaced my lukaschek pp1 T9.
    MX-VYNL is very quiet (low noise), and it is neutral (as all HiFi should be:)). It has both RCA and balanced IN (mini XLR) (possible for two players, a button on the backside lets U change TT) and OUT. I have only been using XLR out, and has not run it fully balanced.
    It has a plus +6 db gain button for those very low output pickups.
    It has two EQ settings; normal RIAA and IEC. The need for the latter is said to be for old, not flat records, but the use of IEC is highly debatable in foras around the net.
    Most important for a phono preamp is headroom. This has 23/24dB headroom on MM/MC that is rather good.

I use the MX-VYNL with my Technics 1200GAE and Ortofon Cadenza Blue pickup. A very good combo, giving sweet music without removing the Technics pace and rhythm. Only thing I miss is a mono button, as I don't have one on my LM 518ia.

Sensitivity for 300mV nom:
    0 dB 5mV (MM) 0.8mV (MC)
    +6dB 2.5mV (MM) 0.4mV (MC)

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Can you answer my question: is it possible to plug in one turntable in RCA and have the two outputs (RCA and XLR) simultaneously active?

19. Ole Jakob

Ole Jakob Forum Resident

I don't think that will work, as there are no selector for the output. If both outputs are in use, I really don't know what will be prefered. The manual says nothing about this.

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Since there is no output selector my guess is that it works, just need to be sure. Can you try?

21. Ole Jakob

Ole Jakob Forum Resident

Sorry, but my current amp don't have balanced input. And the XLR cables are gone.

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

No problem, thought you are currently using the xlr outs.

23. Classicrock

Why would you need two outputs and one TT? It is possible to have two TTs on the RCA and balanced inputs if you can find the right balanced cable for that confounded mini XLR socket.

24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

One out to the amp, the other to a recording device. Today tape loops are rare occurrence.

Robert C and Ole Jakob like this.
  25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Can anyone answer the question of whether both outputs are active when only one input is in use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.