Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol 13 Trouble No More -- Pricing & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Another nice feature that Amazon has for most audio releases is Autorip. This can be nice for boxsets, to have everything ripped already and also available on the cloud, plus you get the linear notes as a PDF too. You won't get the video content (it's basically what you'd get if you ordered the mp3 version), but all this is in addition to the box that will show up at your door.

I got the Springsteen River box from Amazon and was surprised as how often I browse through the ~150 page pdf book electronically. This is especially nice for the photos that are spread across 2 pages since they don't have a fold in the middle.

Yes, that's the big dilemma. I do want that San Diego show too. That's not an easy one.

dee and Clanceman like this.
  2. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Really, how much is that one 1979 show going to be worth? Based on US Amazon, the premium right now is almost $30 when you include the BD.com shipping.

AJK74 and Clanceman like this.
  3. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Good points.

Also, you're right. The only consideration here is that SD show. I could be wrong & ppl may be talking about a 2cd set that costs big $ from resellers one day.

But, I'm betting against that. If it was a limited vinyl piece "maybe" I'd think different. Just betting we'll be able to pick this up at some point later in a wider release.

4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

But you gotta ask yourself, how much will it cost once it sells out, never gets repressed and all the eBay scalpers start their fleecing?

Clanceman likes this.
  5. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

hodgo, Clanceman and hulloder72 like this.
  6. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

It will cost exclatly what someone will pay for it and not a penny more!

Dave
    Peace and love✌

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thanks to everyone for their advice on different retailers, I now have a few more options for future orders. However, for the new Dylan box, I think I'll stick to Amazon UK now that they have reduced their price to a more sensible level.

Clanceman and Bonddm like this.
  8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Electric Sydney and chickendinna like this.
  9. hodgo

There's no way I can jusify to myself that kind of price difference.

As a fan I hate these kind of exclusives or limited editions, either release to all for the same reasonable price or don't bother. It's no wonder fans head to illegal download sites rather than buy official product.

mrjinks, tms766, trueblue and 5 others like this.
  10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I agree 100%. I am a music lover, and I don't want to play the stupid game of "pursuing an exclusive deal to get an exclusive CD or track". I find it to be tedious, even poisonous.

I am willing to pay a fair price for the music, but I only want to buy it once, and at a FAIR price which is why I bought the multi-set at Amazon which is now going for $149 and may go lower. I didn't want to be overcharged at BD.com. Are they lowering their price too? GEEZ

So as much as I would like the San Diego show, I'll just buy it later.

I never bought the "exclusive" Cutting Edge set either because it was overpriced, and came with a bunch of junky tchotchkes (a 45, s spindle WTF, MP3s which are garbage to me), which I DON'T WANT. Also it was sold by a vendor I don't deal with.

GEEZ :cussing:

sorry-for-the-rant-end-old-man-rant-now

Clanceman and hodgo like this.
  11. hodgo

The annoying thing about ordering from the official site, is that they keep most of the profits due to them being able to bypass the standard retail process and sell the box directly to fans.

Clanceman and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Agreed
    Agreed
    & Agreed

We'll be able to get the SD show. Like I said, in 2017 - & being a 2cd set & not some limited vinyl press...this will be available somehow. The chances of this becoming some Holy Grail cd set like Stones Brussels Affair "official" boot release, with no immediate inexpensive option - is highly unlikely.

The focus of this set is everything on the discs in the configurations offered.

Remember with Dylan we got the Royal Albert Hall bootleg volume. When that was released, was there an expectation that an entire monster box of every 66' show going to come out some years later?

Nah, I thought "man, I better get this rare & limited bootleg volume or I'm screwed."

My days of panicking over an official cd released as "exclusive" need to be....if they aren't already, completely over.

With Dylan - I must say that I love the MFSL 45 rpm reissued vinyl, no doubt.

That said, it's about the music. Could've easily just managed with what I had & given the virtue of patience coupled with a crystal ball, I'd have waited on the "Complete Albums Collection" which sounds fine on cd....along with the Deluxe Bootleg series boxes of "The Basement Tapes," "Cutting Edge" & maybe one or 2 others.

My rant over.

13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

It feels good to rant. :cussing: :shtiphat:

Clanceman, hodgo and HominyRhodes like this.
  14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"So as much as I would like the San Diego show, I'll just buy it later."....where from?

Surely if it's a limited edition set the ones you will find will come at a premium, which kind of defeats the object of what you're quite sensibly trying to do, which is to keep the cost down?

jdw likes this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Pardon my naivety but isn't that the object of the exercise for them....to make as big a profit as possible?

As for bypassing the standard retail process, isn't that what has made Amazon the - depending on your perspective, I suppose - unstoppable monster it is today?

jdw likes this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"We'll be able to get the SD show. Like I said, in 2017 - & being a 2cd set & not some limited vinyl press...this will be available somehow. The chances of this becoming some Holy Grail cd set like Stones Brussels Affair "official" boot release, with no immediate inexpensive option - is highly unlikely."

What makes you so sure?

Is the Tell Tale Signs bonus disc easy to find, for example?

17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'm not sure. Said earlier thread, betting that way.

A lot of live material already in this set.

You're talking apples to oranges, imo. That was a whole different version for a sizably higher price. Numbered to 5k, a poster, a separate book, & rare takes & demos on the disc....plus the vinyl (as I referenced.)

If this was a radically different product like that was, I'd be inclined to follow what you're saying.

I'm not saying anything definitive, but I'll take the box for at least $25 less now & possibly more & give up the chance that I have a super rare live cd set that I'll have to pay a fortune for after the release.....in this case.

18. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

I got my confirmation from Bob Dylan site but it was located in my spam folder

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

A fine rant, thanks. I hope San Diego will get a more general release. Amazon UK currently has the main set for just over £121 for free delivery. Bob Dylan UK has the set with San Diego for about £160 including shipping. Personally I do not think that nearly £40 for an extra show is too over the top. I guess as a standalone or high resolution download a market price would be a about £20.

Clanceman likes this.
  21. The problem is not the website in any particular territory but the website in general depending on browser. There is a problem with BobDylan.com My order doesn't show San Diego and I ordered from the UK. As I've said many times already Sandbag have repeatedly confirmed that ALL orders will get SD irrespective of whether your order confirmation shows it.

With that said I can't justify an extra £40 for SD, no matter how good it is. I'll listen via a torrent site in the future or listen to something else. This is plain old fashioned scalping in broad daylight. I'm off to Amazon UK to replace my Sandbag order with a fairer priced order.

I predicted the Amazon price drop pretty accurately some pages back so if I'm right about the second part I need to get locked in now at the current price!

PS. - ordered from Amazon UK who don't charge until November 3rd. Now all I have to do is get refunded from Sandbag who already have my £161!!!! :realmad:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    hodgo and Flaming Torch like this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

You are quite right, the Tell Tale Signs bonus disc looks like it might well be a release that could become a genuine collectable in years to come like the old Japan only Mr D's Collection.
    Amazon UK has 2 Tell Tale Signs boxes for nearly £330. Good grief.
    Back to the forthcoming set I know £160 (and £120) is well out of the reach of many folk. Hopefully those who wish to hear the music (which is as good as it gets) will be able to do so somehow.

PS I emailed the Bob Dylan UK folk yesterday and got a reply within an hour. Jolly good in my view so thanks to them.

23. I'll say it before anyone else does: the "bonus disc" will be reissued by some 'enterprising' souls in the not-too-distant future. Whilst I would never advocate purchasing boots in preference to official product I did pick up very cheaply the elusive 3rd disc of TTS (with supplements) without getting scalped. In my opinion that one was probably at least as essential as this current one. I'll eat my hat if this doesn't get uploaded / cloned at some point in the future. I do honestly feel that buying directly from Dylan's own website (thus cutting out the middle men) should provide fans with a serious incentive ie. receiving a genuinely FREE bonus disc. If this set is honestly being offered already by third party retailers at 3/4 of the retail (which is only ever a rough guide anyway) price then why can't Dylan's site offer the same deal? There is little incentive to buy from there if you have to pay a lot more for it, "bonus disc" included or not. A bonus isn't really a bonus if you have to pay for it, let alone over the odds - it becomes a "bait disc" instead of a bonus disc. You're paying in blood and this time it is your own!

Rant over!

mikee, tms766, Clanceman and 3 others like this.
  24. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Well I paid out for my direct from Bob UK box ages ago so I'm over the premium I paid for the extra 2 CD set now. And I'm going to keep telling myself that until I believe it.

Clanceman, hodgo and SteveM like this.
  25. Fair play to SandbagUK: instant reply / cancellation and refund confirmation!

bobcat, Clanceman and hodgo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.