What is bearded hipster music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wondering yesterday if there were any fans of Mumford & Son's on The SHF and ran into this thread

Mumford & Sons: 'No activity for foreseeable future'

Why so much vitriol?

'bearded hipster music?'

Is this the new 'long haired music' that your father's said to you guys? Are Mumford & Son's and Imagine Dragons representative of this new music?

What is so wrong with people who grow their beards out vs those who grew their hair out?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    eric777 and carlwm like this.
  2. msza

msza Forum Resident

Whenever a genre becomes popular, there will be a backlash. Obviously, there was a bubble with this type of music. It has popped.

When One Direction came out with a new single in the Mumford style, the writing was on the wall . . .

Sean, eric777, DrBeatle and 1 other person like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I have a beard. It's nice.

90% of indie rock is still mind-numbingly boring, though. I don't think Mumford is really this anymore, though. Pros: less banjos. Cons: sound like Coldplay.

Every song on the first two Mumford records is just this gif:

[​IMG]

Jack_Straw, TerryB, tmtomh and 32 others like this.
  4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Exactly. It all sounds very tense and lacks any and all groove. Plus, one Coldplay is enough.

5. SITKOL'76

'Story Of My Life'? That was a big hit.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  6. Beatles 1969-70

7. msza

msza Forum Resident

Yeah, couldn't remember the name. Not saying it wasn't a big hit or even a good song (no comment), but it represented the co-opting of a once-underground genre by a mainstream artist, which almost always signals the end of a trend. The people who made it 'cool' are gonna abandon ship when it becomes boy band music.

8. SITKOL'76

Mumford & Sons were very mainstream though, Babel was a mega seller (3x Platinum in the US) and ' I Will Wait' was one of 2013's biggest hits. The Lumineers also saw success with the same sound, 'Ho Hey' was a mega Hit the same year.

But I guess you mean that these bands were previously underground and were still considered 'indie'.

msza likes this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I hve a beard and I listen to The Dead, Zappa and Iron Maiden. Clearly not a hipster.

I dunno, the thing about Mumford is that I liked them when I first heard them but that sound for every song?

bzfgt likes this.
  10. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

"Long hair" was a threat to the social order, back then. Today, bearded urbane men are seen as symbols of that order. They're more like the new yuppies than the new hippies.
    Nobody but bikers and sailors should have tattoos. Now, you go to college and get one.

11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Let the quality of the music do the talking. Who care's whether or not people with beards or long like them.

12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Gotta have a man-bun to go with the beard before you can be a hipster.

morinix, Nick Brook, eric777 and 4 others like this.
  13. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

thats the El Dorado of insults, my friend.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I used to like M&S before they shed the banjos and, as walrus said, went Coldplay. No interest in their current direction. But I'm a big alt-folk fan. I think Fleet Foxes and The Avett Brothers are better and the stylistic change makes one wonder if M&S were bandwagon jumpers, but I saw them in concert, which had to be rescheduled to a larger venue, and it was a great show.

I do have to agree that there is something absurd about urbanites wearing bushy mountain man beards, but it's certainly a harmless affectation. My brother lives in DC, has a beard and plays clawhammer banjo.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  15. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

Mumford and Sons are, along with The 1975 and Imagine Dragons, a band that it's completely incorrect to judge modern day "indie" and current bands by. For a start, I wouldn't call them indie at all. Mumford and Sons are pop-folk, The 1975 are indie pop (with a tenuous link to indie at best today), Imagine Dragons have been a full-blown pop band for a long time.

Also, hipsters never liked Mumford and Sons or Imagine Dragons. They're mainstream bands which kind of goes against the whole notion of a "hipster". If you want to know what counts as hipster music, look at Pitchfork's Best of 2012 list, or something like that.

The hipster subculture has died out (man buns are probably its last vestige), although some of the things it really popularised (mainly around food) have remained. However, the kind of people that identified as being hipster - or rather were called hipster - a few years ago are now listening to hip-hop and eclectic indie genres.

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It boggles my mind that people routinely "discover" trends and topics from 6-8 years ago. The funny thing is that the people making the bearded hipster claims are probably even more out of touch because Mumford Sons are the antithesis of a hipster's musical diet.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Too bad there were already two - Coldplay and Elbow.

Lownote30 likes this.
  18. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I have trouble growing a beard but love a lot of 'indie' music. From around 2010-2015 I used to hit up indie shows pretty much weekly and the favorite spots held no more than a about a hundred folks, most of which were in their twenties and would probably be considered hipsters. Great atmosphere with friendly, approachable folks who enjoyed discussing the various music scenes. It's also fun to see a no-name band very early in their journey before they blow up and catch on with the general public.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Except Elbow can be interesting. (Although to me Elbow is the 'other Doves' :cool:)

20. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Hipster bearded music to me is

Radiohead
    Fleet Foxes
    The War On Drugs
    Father John Misty

There are a few others. I dislike all above bar Radiohead.

Extract and Andrew J like this.
  21. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

When the hipster thing was really taking off I remember that two of the albums such types adored were Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective and Bitte Orca by Dirty Projectors. Mumford and Sons were active at the same time and didn't feature at all.

I'd actually go as far as saying that Mumford and Sons are to the 2010s what Nickelback were to the 2000s.

Worker and lightbulb like this.
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

People just invent names you know. Too much lipstick trashy sweater music. Backwards baseball cap oversize sports jersey music.

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

High-pitched voices, big beard, short-cut hair & ultra tight jeans, combined with acoustic guitars, hammond organ and a banjo.
    There you have it.

24. I am with you on this one. I dont have a brother tho

25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Lumineers-Ho Hey is the Standard and the Blueprint.

lightbulb, SITKOL'76 and seed_drill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.