Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here is the thread where it originates, just so everyone knows what it is their clicking on: **ESTATE SURVEY**

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Not a single person considered the Rave/Batman/GB era to be the highest priority!

Me neither, but I found it kinda funny to see that.

3. Yeah, it's all fun and games. There's no way this came from the estate. I doubt the estate cares one iota about the org.

But the estate had better get cookin' lest the casual listener drops their money elsewhere.

In the meantime, I'll be picking this up. It sounds really good (I just hope that's not the final cover for the album).

4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Oh okay...for a second I thought the survey was coming directly from the Estate which made me think it was probably the most proactive/fan-friendly thing I've ever seen a company do! Makes more sense that fans put it together. Still though, it's a smart idea and I think one that would have benefited many legacy artists had the internet been around much earlier for fans to set up a survey like that.

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

The "org" has a bloated sense of self importance for a place that has threads focusing on Prince's buttocks.

6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

He's the one who wore those pants in the first place.

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Listening to Montreux 13/7/2013 at the moment with all that brass and funk. Wow, I mean wow!

Tsomi and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

The Montreux shows seem like an obvious release. They are all pretty much ready to go, the estate just needs to green light them and find a distributor. I'm hoping we get all three of them in a box set sometime in the next year or so.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Do they own the rights? Most Montreux shows are not owned by the artist or their normal label.

10. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Gah, you're right about that. I'm assuming that the estate is more likely to play nice with others than Prince would have been.

They did get the Purple Rain reissue out but they really ought to get something else out soon. I thought that the Montreux shows, assuming they can get work out a deal, would be an easy "win" for them.

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'd like to see them released as three more affordable individual releases over a period of time. Everybody should get to hear these magnificent concerts (2009 and 2013 especially - I'm unfamiliar with the 2007 show).

12. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Really? What a strange arrangement. Like Peel sessions, I guess. I have seen some "Live at Montreux" releases, with that Gerald Scarfe logo every time.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Quick question - were Prince shows before 1997 ever all ages shows, or did you have to be 18 (or 21) and over?

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

All ages.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

I don't know. However, big news out of California. Nevada City wants to become the nation's first chemtrail-free zone. I truly believe Prince would dig it. :thumbsup:

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'll post this here as well (already posted in the Protegé ABA thread).

I noticed that the Vanity 6 and The Family albums are now on Spotify (and I assume also on other streaming and downloading sites). They don't seem like official uploads, Vanity 6 has a ”2017 STARR” copyright and The Family has no copyright at all. Here they are:

Vanity 6: Vanity 6

The Family: The Family

18. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I guess the last thing I ever expected to read was a report linking Prince and Merle Haggard. Both great talents, but seeing them in the same sentence is, to say the least, jarring. LOL

19. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Apple Music has the same Vanity 6 album cover (STARR), but no The Family.
    All albums by The Time are present, by Warner Brothers Records. Same goes for Sheila E btw.

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Sheila E. and The Time have been present from before - with some modifications, for a while "Glamourous Life" and "A Love Bizarre" were bloccked, and the first The Time album has been always missing "The Stick" in all it's digital versions, that is until just recently, which was another new find. They all seem to be proper uploades with correct copyrights.

But these new additions seem fishy, especially with that alternate artwork for Vanity 6. Is that taken from some single? I don't recognize it from anywhere.

21. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Nah, the cover is from a photo shoot they did when the original album came out, it has been around for a while. The pink lettering is new and looks added on, however.

It's likely legit on some level, though, because you can't just fake out Spotify or any other music streaming service. Their pretty diligent about getting the proper rights in order before making it available for streaming, for their own bottom line's sake.

Klen7000 likes this.
  22. Grant, dee and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

The Family is On Apple Music too, now.

I’ve listened to the Vanity 6 and The Family albums all weekend. The CDs are very expensive so I’m glad that I could finally listen to these albums. Also love that they sound like having the original dynamics mostly in place.

Still no Jill Jones S/T album, though.

thekid87 likes this.
  24. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Glad to see this material properly stored. And screw the two heirs.

CBackley likes this.