So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

I dig "How Can I Refuse?" a lot too! A very underrated and "lost" single!!

Grant and Surly like this.
  2. Juggsnelson

"Alone" may be a power ballad but as you implied, "Alone" is miles ahead of "What About Love?"!!!

Surly and Grant like this.
  3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

:agree:

Ya.

Surly and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Jim Vallance wrote this with the band Toronto. I don't think it was ever released back in the day, but it's on one of their greatest hits albums (and that version may well be a demo). Shame they never had a big breakthrough in the US - I love their song "Your Daddy Don't Know."

c-eling likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's on both of their current comps, so it can't be that lost.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

When I had my music store back then we couldn't keep the cd in stock. We could only get a couple at a time and they sold immediately. If there was ever a record that was mean't to be cranked that album is it. And you can't. Horribly bright ear splitter and I have no idea how it was allowed to be mastered that way. I just bought the reissue on vinyl and it's sadly still the same, but what a comeback album of all comebacks! Great thread by the way.

Bobby Buckshot and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. Grant

All I can remember from the first mastering of the CD is the hi-hat.

no.nine and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It would take me less than an hour to play the 45's I have left in my collection. I don't think I have ever bought more than fifty, last one I bought was in 1974. I always preferred albums over singles so I bought very few 45's..

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Thanks!!!!

10. Juggsnelson

That's good to know! I feel that most of my friends who are really into music don't remember it at all.

11. Juggsnelson

I love listening to entire albums too but I also love being able to listen to an 8 minute snapshot of where a band was at a certain time and then immediately do it again with a different band. Unique mixes, non album tracks, picture sleeves, etc... Only add to the fun!

team2, RiverCity45s, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  12. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The MoFi gold CD and any singles I have from the album all have that bright sound so apparently it was mixed that way. :sigh:

13. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I had that CD back when it came out, and I remember being bothered by the hi-hat too. I recall thinking it sounded quite unnatural, and this was before I knew anything about mastering. Maybe it was even out of balance with the rest of the audio also? I'm not sure what was at fault - the mastering, the engineering or the mix. I don't have the CD any more as I quickly grew tired of their musical direction.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Grant

Well, part of the problem was my CD player. It was trebly sounding.

15. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The HD Tracks hi rez version is the best I have heard the Heart / Heart album sound with the remixes. I have all the singles from this album on record and cd and bright it is. The old MoFi is not too much better than the regular cd. These 7” singles are very thin sounding but I love the songs.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I. Have a box of at least 300 45s'. Some day I will clean and listen. Til then, they are boxed..

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'm glad to see so much Heart in your collection (I've been a fan ever since I heard "Magic Man" when it was current), but I'm one of those that much prefer the Epic/Portrait/Mushroom years to the Capitol years. I can never fault a band for going for the dough, even musicians gotta eat, but I've always felt that Heart was much better, original and genuine when they wrote their own material and rocked out like everyone knew they could. Saying that, songs like "Dog and Butterfly" and "Dreamboat Annie" really do shine, and I like the softer side of (old) Heart just as much as the rockers.

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Yes the term sell out could be applied here....a drastic shift from hard, guitar based rock to keyboard laden soft rock/pop. They also started using a plethora of outside writers too. The Wilson sisters still shone through though and the vocals are outstanding. It's easy to kind of view them as separate bands!! As you say, no shame in going where the money was....at least the songs they produced were still mostly quality tunes!

19. Juggsnelson

Heart- If Looks Could Kill PROMO
    This muted rocker stalled at #54 in the USA in 1986.
    Ann turns in a classic 70's Heart vocal but the keyboards mimicking the guitars take away a lot of the songs bite. That being said, it's got a catchy chorus. A bit better than I remembered honestly!
    [​IMG]

20. Juggsnelson

Heart- Alone/Barracuda (live)
    This bombastic ballad written by maestros Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly reached #1 in the USA and #3 in the UK in 1987. I know some folks can't stand this song but I really like it. I am a sucker for well done ballads though! The piano on the intro and right before the big chorus works great. There's a reason that everyone tries to perform this on singing competition shows...the vocal is a monster!! The drums are nice and high in the mix and add some needed punch. The ride symbol is cool too. Fun fact, John Stamos recorded this track for the CBS sitcom Dreams in 1984!!
    [​IMG]

21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Haven’t checked in in awhile. Wow, you’re on H. Quite a journey and a ways to go. Are you still having fun with the project?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Heart- There's the Girl (remix)/Bad Animals
    This third single from Bad Animals reached #12 in the USA and #34 in the UK in 1987. This single remix adds a few extra lines to the song. This was co-written by Nancy with Holly Knight and features Nancy on lead vocals. For a #12 hit I really don't remember hearing this on the radio that much. Its ok but the chorus seems a bit mismatched to the verses. Pretty forgettable although I do like the bit of falsetto used during the chorus. A solid album track but not a song that screams "single".
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot, Surly and ascot like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Lots of fun for sure! Home life has been a bit busy....as has keeping up with all of the great new releases that arrive on my doorstep! I'm trying to pick up the pace again....now that the cooler weather is almost here, I have more free time to spin 45's!

chacha likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Heart- I Want You So Bad (remix)/Easy Target
    Another ballad written by the Team of Steinberg/Kelly, although this tune only reached #49 in the USA in 1988. None of the irresistable power of Alone to be found here although it is a fine showcase for Ann's voice. This tune is a grower....not a good trait for a single! It has a bit of a gospel edge to it. This gets better with repeated listens.
    [​IMG]

25. Juggsnelson

Heart- All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You (edit)/Call of the Wild
    A song written by Mutt Lange and produced by Richie Zito has to be a slick pop tune, and this fits the bill! This track (first recorded by Dobie Gray!!!) hit #2 USA and #8 UK in 1990. What a weird topic for a pop song!!! Did people actually listen to the lyrics or pay attention to the video?? A woman repeatedly cheats on her husband with strangers in the hope of getting pregnant since her husband is not able to. Really?? What are his thoughts when she does become pregnant? She speaks of the affair as being a secret but....hello....you now have a child. Not much of a secret how that happened! The band derides the song now....long after cashing the checks!! Absurd lyrics aside, it's a decent pop song. Nice production and vocal harmonies. Heck, I sing along when It comes on! It "sounds" great...I just wish it had more substance.
    [​IMG]

ascot and Bobby Buckshot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.