Designated Survivor (ABC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

She
    She didn't even appear in last night's episode. Instead an ex-pres is pushing his way into the craziness.

I couldn't follow how this fellow Langdon got away from the church (Agent Hannah Bungle at work again) then a few minutes later he surrendered to the FBI?

2. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I don't know... I just really enjoy watching this show.

3. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I found the recent episode (15) a real stinker though. I half-expected unicorns and fluffy bunnies to be gampoling around when the president gave a speech.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I believe in real life, the Designated Survivor is generally kept out of the DC area, and in an undisclosed location (with full Secret Service protection) specifically for that reason.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no ex-president this week at all....this show just jumps all over the place. last week in was in the whole show.

so, what does aaron;s cousin have to do with the plot, they wouldn't have introduced her if she wasn't there for a reason.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Probably just a plot device to make Aaron realize it would be a big mistake for him to walk away from Washington.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The show is quickly turning into a pale version of West Wing. I think they need to concentrate a lot more on the conspiracy and the terrorists and a lot less on what the guy is doing as President.

Doug_B, spanky1 and misterdecibel like this.
  8. John B Good

Not knowing the language I thought at first she was peaking Russian. Guess it was Spanish.

As for jumping all over, yeas it does.

But I'm really annoyed at Agent Hannah and her goofing up again - obviously Brooke was a minor figure in the conspiracy, but to let her get killed!

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Trouble on the set... they're bringing in a fourth showrunner to steer Designated Survivor towards a second season...

"Logistically, Designated Survivor is a difficult show. Production takes place in Toronto; the writers room is in Los Angeles; and Guggenheim is based in New York. Sutherland, who executive produces the series, is highly involved in the show's creative and effectively does a pass on each script before it is finalized alongside Guggenheim."

And I think that could well explain why 3 producers have been booted thus far. It also explains the drastic changes in tone episode-to-episode, like they can't figure out what the show is supposed to be.

'Designated Survivor' Bringing in Fourth Showrunner Ahead of Likely Second Season (Exclusive)

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Still not caught up all the way but I'm enjoying this show.

11. John B Good

The government is broken!

12. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Was it an enjoyable episode? I've found the recent ones particularly bad and I'm really struggling to find the enthusiasm to keep watching.

Ridin'High likes this.
  13. John B Good

We're enjoying following it, in a 'what new can go wrong', in a Desperate Survivor kind of way. But I thought the plot about law professor who had resolved the 9 Judges issue, was going to get a sexual twist.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Boy, it was sure nice to see Linda Purl and she looked dam nice!

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Maybe showrunner #4 will be able to hold your interest better... :sigh:

16. John B Good

Not convinced Hookstratten could have been side-swiped for VP by an 8 year old visit to Turkey.

And didn't follow what lead her to leave Congress to the Johnny-come-lately babies and become Secretary of Education... Music hath power?

BTW Did the agent who was recording the latest evidence of the Deep State's doings get to transmit any of that evidence before he was shot?

Apparently this was the second last episode of the season, so I doubt there will be a satisfying resolution next week :(. But its nice to watch something about politics even fictional that doesn't depress me totally.

shokhead likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it certainly is.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. John B Good

Well, for the second last episode there is no feeling that there will be any resolution.

I thought the Nato summit in Toronto was intriguing, but Canada never spoke... :(

BTW would there be video monitoring of rooms in the White House? Don't understand how the guy who is deleting the files wasn't caught. At least someone would know he was in whatever room?

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a great point: just rewind the CCTV security video and see who walked into the room. Very good plot hole!

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

more like very BIG plot hole.

MoonPool likes this.
  21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Making the FBI agent(s) look incompetent on these type of shows gets old. Never would an FBI agent go "solo," nor the head of the FBI allow an agent to go solo on a huge case like this, especially when there is a great chance of getting captured, like she did. Sure, only four people (now 5, including the Secretary of State/ex-President) know the extent of the conspiracy. The finale coming up will only introduce more questions than answer existing ones. Writers will throw a bone to the audience and resolve one of the minor plots, but you can bet it won't be satisfactory and will end on an unbelievable cliffhanger.

sloaches likes this.
  22. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Yep, you pretty much called it.

I'll say this much- Designated Survivor is nowhere near as good as shows like "The Americans" or "Better Call Saul" but it certainly is much better than, say, "24: Legacy".

neo123 likes this.
  23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

What did people think of the season premiere?

Did you think the tone of the show still feels the same?

I wonder where it will be going regarding the female FBI agent teaming up with this supposed British agent?

And of course, I saw it a mile away regarding what would happen to the President's friend who was a hostage on that Russian plane (I didn't know how it would happen.)

Will there be big turnover this year with showrunners, like there was last year?

24. John B Good

Didn't grab me, same old, same old. And to many little side-bar stories. Was the guy who got moved from rom to room meant to be comedy, like the political adviser with the water fetish? Though it's nice to see an American president who talks like a grown-up.

25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

That new political adviser I felt the same way about. On the surface he looks like a nosy and eccentric bumbling idiot (court jester type,) but seems like a straight shooter who speaks his mind and doesn't care about others' feelings.

And yes they are trying to make Kiefer Sutherland's president be like a grown-up, an everyman's president who can work with both sides and knows when to be tough and passionate. They made that clear in his conversations with the writer who was being honored and is against everything the government stands for, the Russian and Ukrainian ambassadors, and also his speech to his staff at the end regarding his friend who was on the plane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.