Schiit Jil analog / digital converter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wownflutter, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member Thread Starter

Has anyone tried one of these out yet. It looks interesting for the price of only $199.

2. marysdad

marysdad Forum Resident

Been thinking about getting one, too. I have been using a Behringer UFO202. I have been happy with the results, but feel that the ADC is the weak link in my system.

3. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I recently got a Scarlett 2i2 but if I didn't I would definitely be considering this. I love Schiit and I bet this does a great job.

4. wownflutter

I haven't been able to find a single review on this yet. I'm curious of some opinions.

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I have one. Works very well.

I am using it with Audacity on a Mac Mini.

I am going to try it with Amadeus Pro as well.

So far, just test vinyl rips @ 24/192.

bluemooze and c-eling like this.
  6. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Like you I like Schitt products but I already have a Focusrite Forte. I love the made in USA too.

for a quick look Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

500Homeruns likes this.
  7. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

It's not exactly about the devices you are using or consider buying, but exactly the same manufacturers and companies:
    Budget DAC Review: Schiit Modi 2 ($99)
    Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

Bottom line: Shiit is like the name spells.

On the other hand, I love Shiit, it's made in the USA, and I bet it's the product you need to have.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Yes. Neither reviews are about AD conversion. Neither reviews are relevant to this thread. So why even mention it in this thread?

Do you have any recordings with one done on the Schiit Jil and one done on the Behringer doing AD conversion? Some samples we can listen to and compare? Otherwise stay out of this thread till you have something useful to contribute.

JohnCarter17 and bluemooze like this.
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Very interesting links, thank you!

10. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

11. ServingTheMusic

12. Tim Müller

There's and audio example on that website.

The audio example is awfull! It is littered with glitches, making it practically unlistenable.

13. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Do you think it’s better than using the internal MBP A/D converter? I usually input from my preamp to my headphone/stereo mic mini jack in. Seems to work OK though I know the A/D can’t be all that great.

14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Noticed that also Tim, apart from the standard surface (pops etc.). Sounded like some digital 'blips/burps'

15. Tim Müller

The Sound Devices ususally are used for TV and film sound recordings on location (and in studio).
    So, they should be free of digital glitches or driver trouble.
    Otherwise, production companies would not use them, because every trouble that renders a recording unusable, or stops the production for an hour or so to get other gear, costs real money.
    I just cannot imagine that professionals on a film set would tolerate glitches in audio recordings...
    That's why I suppose that any manufacturer catering to such markets, needs to supply flawless devices.

Either, that very device used for that audio example was defective (could happen...).
    Or, the guy making the needledrop made some stupid mistake.

Anyway, I think a Sound Devices audio interface is kind of overkill for needle drops. It's made for location recordings, that's why it's sturdy, maybe tolerates some dusty or humid environment. And that's why it's nearly a grand. That's something you don't need when you use the device in your home only, for needle drops.

You could go for something less expensive, say, an audio interface aimed at professional studios, or project or home studios. Gear from Behringer, Focusrite, Tascam, M-Audio, Phonic, or the like.
    That still may be some overkill for needle drops, but it's nice to have a reliable piece of gear in a ruged case.

You could even go for less expensive, like, phono MM pre-amps with AD/DA converters built in, and USB connection. I found one which works relieable since years, and at least judged by my ears, provides really good sound. However, not yet measured.

But... Quality in this price segment is not consistent. You may get one quite good and well designed product from one manufacturer. While a seemingly similar product from another competiting manufacturer is not really all that good nor pleasing.

Robert C likes this.
  16. ServingTheMusic

Yes, I think it probably is.

Having said that, I also have have used a Korg MR-1 with mini jack in which records to SD card and that also
    gives me some surprisingly good results.

17. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Is it the "before" or the "after"?

18. wownflutter

I received the Schiit Jil in the mail today. I thought I'd give it a shot.
    The only problem is, I just moved and my system is boxed up. I probably won't be able to try it out for another month or so.
    It does look a little small and lightweight.
    Can't wait to try it.

19. Tim Müller

Yes,
    I think so.
    Also, the violins sound like littered with destortions and dynamically compressed when they get a bit louder. There hardly is any air, nor lightness. It all sounds pretty much beaten up, like low lo-fi sound.
    Not really pleasing...

20. ghost rider

Wow a whole month my system would be up in a week everything else can stay boxed up.

21. wownflutter

Yeah, it's driving me nuts.
    Of course I did have to set up my secondary system to get me by. Adcom, Rotel and Mirage running digital files

22. ghost rider

Not bad for a secondary system. I'm interested to hear how the drivers are like can you adjust the balance or is it the knob on the front only.

23. wownflutter

I finally had a chance to record a few albums on the Schiit. First off, I set the Schitt to output 24/192. I set Soundforge to record at 24/192.
    When I listened to the finished product, It was a garbled and slow like it was playing in the wrong bitrate.
    After some looking around I found that you have to change the recording bitrate in the Windows recording device advanced options. I don't recall ever having to do this with my HRT Linestreamer.

After all the settings were correct, the finished product sounded very good. I've only had a chance to listen through Shure 315 earbuds but it seems at least as good as the HRT.
    With the HRT, I wasn't able to adjust the record level. This was the main reason for trying out the Schiit. I really like having the ability to adjust the level right on the front of the unit.
    I used to use a Bellari 540 that had an adjustable level and I really missed it.

So, as of right now I'd say this is some pretty good Schiit.

dbsea and c-eling like this.
  24. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Wow, another Schiit product? They seem to be pumping out stuff like crazy. Not a bad thing or anything. Great company as others have and will probably say.

Same here, I just got one like a few weeks ago, and if I knew this was coming I would have waited. Too much hassle with the proper cables, this would be great as it takes plain old rca. Oh well, that's the way things go.....

25. ServingTheMusic

I had good results with the Jil and Audacity on a Mac Book Pro.

The only issue I have not figure it out is when I set the Jil to 24/96 Audacity does not like it, eve
    with all correct settings, but 24/192 works just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.