A thing Pinknik didn't need, but he bought anyway: Nakamichi CR-3a cassette deck

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pinknik, Sep 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

From ye old eBay. Hasn't shipped yet. Hope it's nice.

[​IMG]

2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Good for you. I keep browsing ebay for cassette decks (Pioneer CTF 8xx) - but in the end I just cannot justify it. It sure was fun recording cassettes - the ritual of it.

Chris Schoen, timind and Pinknik like this.
  3. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I like the green.

Manimal and Pinknik like this.
  4. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Oh you need it. You sooooo need it. Nice deck broski!

Pinknik likes this.
  5. timind

timind phorum rezident

@costerdock, I do the same thing. Why? :shrug:

I have 6 unopened Maxell XL-II 90 minute cassettes with no where to go. Even though they were practically free at Goodwill, I have no idea why I bought them.

rebellovw and Pinknik like this.
  6. Pinknik

I've been doing the same thing for months. Insanity? Perhaps. Now, at least, I can stop looking. That's a step, right?:D

timind likes this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Every household needs at least one Nakamichi cassette deck. If you don't play tapes, they are wonderful to look at and make great furniture :)

Congrats on the purchase - nice deck!:righton:

8. Pinknik

Thanks. I recently got a big stash of cassettes at a yard sale, so I plan to at least work it out for a while and I've always liked the idea of having a Nak.

johnny q likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If it feels good....

Manimal, johnny q and Pinknik like this.
  10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Here’s hoping it gets to you in one piece! I have nostalgia for cassettes but don’t really miss em. My nak does make for the best sounding cassette playback I’ve ever heard though, which is saying something.

Dave and Pinknik like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Looks good. Do you know if it was serviced lately?

12. Pinknik

According to the seller, yes, with new belts. I figure if it gives me any issues, I'll send it to Willy Hermann. I did ponder getting a non-working model just to send to him anyway, but that could be a 5 month wait.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. ssmith3046

You should be good do go! Willy did his standard service on my Dragon a few years ago and told my I'd be good for another 20 years. He also suggested to me if for some reason that I'm not using it to play a tape at least once a month to keep it happy. Congratulations on you Nak purchase.

macster and Pinknik like this.
  14. Pinknik

Thank you!

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Tapes are not my favorite format, but they can be fun. Enjoy your new tape deck.

Pinknik likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

I had a two head RX-202 once before my Dragon and that was great sounding deck too. I don't think you can go wrong with a Nakamichi.

Pinknik likes this.
  17. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Now I want to get something better than the CR-1A I picked up for 75 bucks last year. Although I have no real reason to do so. Unfortunately, I practically gave a way a non-working BX-300 several years ago.

Pinknik likes this.
  18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

A tip from the owner of a CR-2A: Don't let it sit. Naks don't take kindly to inactivity. Run a tape through it daily, even if you're not listening.

When you do find the mechanism seems to be stuck, there are solutions on the web.

Cheers,
    Larry B.

Pinknik likes this.
  19. Pinknik

Seller is dropping it off at FedEx today. :goodie:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  20. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

That thread title :laugh:

Pinknik likes this.
  21. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Congrats! I seriously long for my old CR-7A. Shame on me - it started making some noise one day and I unplugged it, then eventually gifted gratis to a very happy Nak tech. I'm sure it only needed a quick service of a pinch roller. Those decks are a thing of beauty.

Pinknik likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I bought a used CR1a about 20 years ago, and it's pretty decent. One channel records at a lower level than the other one now; I'm not sure if that's a simple fix or not.

Maybe I should look into getting something nicer. I've also been hoarding sealed XSII's and SA90s found at thrift stores, etc.

Pinknik likes this.
  23. Pinknik

That would be my dream machine, but a pricey dream, so I opted further down the CR line.

JakeMcD likes this.
  24. mintom

mintom New Member

Good choice and happy ownership! I've owned CR-3E (european variant) of this for 8 years and gets used regularly for a different vibe from the usual vinyl/cd/digital/streaming. My only full size deck, it fitted with ebay budget, availability and my usage need at the time (get the best playback out of my boxes of old home recorded & bought tapes/discrete 3 head to make a really nice recording for the occasional mixtape). They do make for a nice piece of furniture. It always catches the eye when passing by. Recently overhauled mine (New belts, bit of lube and a reel motor) and sounding great again.

Ignominious and Pinknik like this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nice looking machine.

Pinknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.