MoFi UltraPhono phonostage... Sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dogpile, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I should have the Mofi studio phono in the next few weeks. I will chime in with my thoughts after I connect it and evaluate.

2. Systematic

Systematic New Member

Longtime lurker, just signed up.

I received the studio phono last week from Music Direct. It sounds great with moving coils - substantial upgrade from my previous Cambridge 651p.
    I'm using the Denon 301mkii. Sounds best loaded at 330 ohms w/60db of gain. Only minor negative is the flimsy buttons, but what do you expect for $249 made in USA.

Heckto35, grx8, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  3. Com4734

Com4734 Well-Known Member

I thought the same about the buttons. But if I had to choose, I'd rather compromise on the buttons than the sound quality.

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Rookie question:

For a Moving Magnet cartridge that has an output of 3MV, is there any general rule as far as the gain setting goes? Or is it a trial and error thing? I think most MM cart's call for a 40 db gain setting but I wonder if the 3MV output cart would benefit from 46DB? It is considerably lower in volume compared to my Shure, which had an output of 5mv.

I took delivery this past weekend of the Studio Phono and should have it up and running soon.

5. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

46dB with 3mV will give you .597 Volts, which should work just fine.

Here's a link for a gain calculator.
    dB calculator for amplification gain and damping (loss) factor of an audio amplifier calculation decibel dB ratio - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

The three calculators down towards the bottom are very useful.

displayname and johnny q like this.
  6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thanks for that information. 46DB is also in line with what the Mofi instruction booklet says:

Cartridge Output Settings:

> 3mV / 40dB
    1mv–3mV / 46dB
    0.3mV–1mV / 60dB

displayname and 33na3rd like this.
  7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

How's everything sounding?

8. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I would like to see pictures of whats inside the box.

displayname likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I wish I could comment! It's not hooked up yet. I am hoping for this weekend or Monday at the latest - I have a day off from work.

33na3rd likes this.
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ok, finally got the PhonoStudio hooked up.

I am using an AT Cartridge with Shibata stylus. 46db gain and 47000 input impedance. Silver Serpent cables. Test record is an original U.S. pressing of Robert Plant's Shaken N Stirred - for those in the know, this one is a wonderful "demo disc" sounding LP.

Hooked everything up and turned the volume all the way up. No buzzing, no humming, no hissing. Yes! And I should mention I have it located near computers and cell phones and other "no no's" and experience no extraneous noise. Put that in your pipe Schiit Mani and smoke it!:winkgrin:

How does it sound? Just like it did before through the receivers Phono input - but 5X better! Seriously - no coloration's, nothing sucked out, just more of the same goodness - but bigger and better. Overall, the sound is punchier and the whole delivery is just so much more defined, open and "powerful" sounding. With the 3MV AT Cart, I really had to crank the receivers volume to get to my desired listening level. Now, I set the volume the same as if I was listening to a digital source.

I do have a Schiit Mani in another system and would love to a/b compare, but sadly I cannot give an opinion as these preamps are installed in radically different systems. The only thing I CAN say is, I don't hear buzzing and radio stations like many people report when using the Mani.

Happy camper over here!!

JQ

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Now can someone explain what exactly this Subsonic button is supposed to do???

12. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Isn't it just a subsonic filter to cut the low frequencies due to warps and footfalls and off-center pressings and the like? Reduces the woofer pumping people get with ported speakers and warped records, or tables that aren't isolated very well. Usually better for sound quality to avoid filters if you can by addressing the mechanical issues, but sometimes it's the only reasonable way.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah - I do see myself using that switch too often. I will however use the mono switch quite a bit.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Filter rumble.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Heckto35 and displayname like this.
  16. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Besides being a good review, I'm glad to see Audio Emporium is still going strong. Their webpage says they are celebrating 40 years in business. I'm happy they survived. As a fellow Wisconsin stereo store owner, one whose store didn't make it, I'm pleased to see this Milwaukee area store did. :)

Dan Steele, johnny q and displayname like this.
  17. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I have the Studio Tracker cart in my family room system. For $200 you get a whole lotta premium sound out that cart! I bet it would sound really great with your Phono Studio!

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Regarding the Phonostudio: No on/off switch means this thing is on 24/7........365. Should I be concerned???

19. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

No reason for concern. That's how they designed it.

Many here keep their solid state source gear powered up 24/7. Some manufactures recommend this. Some even keep their SS power amps powered up at all times.

Heckto35 and johnny q like this.
  20. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Agree, no reason for alarm. My iPhono2 stays on all the time as well. No issues several months in now.

Heckto35 and johnny q like this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

so how does the studio phono sound? would anyone characterize the sound as neutral or? just curious.. the reviewer on the music direct website said it sounded "accurate" and clean with a somewhat recessed midrange but gave it 5 stars ! I am contemplating a new stage and so far have been reading a lot of good of the Phonomena II plus but if I can get a cheaper option that sounds really good, I might consider it... moving on from my Vincent Pho 700 tubed stage and will probably go back to my Denon DL110 cart on my SL1200....

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Well I guess I will find out myself soon lol ! My StudioPhono is on order at MD should be getting it by Tues and will let you Guys know my findings ! What I have read so far on here is very encouraging ! ;)

Heckto35, bluemooze, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  23. MIA2RDU

MIA2RDU Well-Known Member

I look forward to hearing what you find! I'm very curious about getting one of these myself.

MikeJedi likes this.
  24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

It's at my house ! Unpacking it tonite and setting up too! Can't wait !

Merrick, displayname and 33na3rd like this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Just a small tidbit .. I haven't had it on that long tonite so this is not my final impression yet .. But wow this thing has got real deep bass and really nice detail and just a nice rythym if that makes sense ... .. Liking what I am hearing so far peeps but again I haven't had it on long .. I will do another update after listening more ... ;)

bluemooze and johnny q like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.