New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I think it's safe to say now that the show shows a lot of promise. Without giving away anything, there is more at stake than Federation-Klingon relations. The third episode (which really is the first episode) also had more interaction between the characters, most of them newly introduced. There doesn't seem to be a lot of diversity as of yet, though. Only one of the characters is non-human, from what I can tell. Well, I don't mean to get political. Based on what we know and what we don't know about the characters, who knows what they turn out to be.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

My only problem with the show is making it a prequel. There is no reason they couldn't have set it after TNG and come up with a new species to replace the Klingons. As it is now, we know how it all ends so there is little at stake other than characters being killed off on the way.

Shawn, Higlander and JPagan like this.
  3. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Characters don't just die off in Star Trek (unless they put the wrong colour shirt on). That in itself would be new. The new show is set ten years before the original series, right? Ten years is a long time in the infiniteness of space. If you just look at the Klingons in TOS, there's some 'splainin' to do! Star Trek has thrown me off so many times when I've thought I've had it figured out that all I expect is to be surprised. To boot, the third episode wasn't about Klingons, really. I think there's a lot of material to work on.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  4. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

"Old" meaning from back in the TOS Star Trek time period.
    It ended up being a prequel but looking nothing like the old stuff.

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Tasha Yar.

GeoffC and sunspot42 like this.
  6. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I wonder if they did it so they could play faster and looser with the Prime Directive (or General Order 1), which is in its infancy in this time period, and would be easier than if they'd set it post-TNG.

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Jadzia.

Meng likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But the Trill lived on!

The_Windmill likes this.
  9. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

You must know what I meant! Even if you take Tasha Yar or Jadzia as examples, they didn't die (what, after a season and six seasons?) because the storyline demanded it. They died of contractual causes.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, true to a point, although they could have just written them out without killing the characters off.

"Oh, she's at Starfleet Command."

"Oh, she's transferred to Starbase 47."

I'm kinda surprised they didn't kill off Beverly Crusher. Maybe they decided two deaths in one season was one too many.

11. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Steady improvement in episode 3 but still a fair bit to go before I'm fully convinced.

12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

[​IMG]
    :D

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'm guessing that in the Star Trek timeline there's a gap between 'Enterprise' and 'Star Trek' [TOS] and someone thought it would be a good idea to set the new series in that time period to fully link the various individual Trek franchises. What's the chronologically last Trek series? Voyager?

14. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Here's just the article to answer your questions: How 'Discovery' Fits Into the 'Star Trek' Timeline

Yes, Voyager is the latest (furthest?) series in the timeline, but Nemesis, the last "TNG" film, takes place one year later, so TNG covers quite a span.

I personally couldn't care less how TOS and TNG work together. They are different universes to me. There just needs to be coherence within a series, although the way TNG, DS9, and Voyager blended together was beautiful. It worked because they were being made partially at the same time and had visiting actors between them. I don't care to see William Shatner pop up in the new one.

15. They should have given her a red uniform for her death episode.:angel:

16. Or because there characters were just not very engaging or popular.

17. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

why didn't they kill Wesley then?

BZync, Robert M., Deesky and 2 others like this.
  18. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Denise Crosby who played Tasha Yar would surely have concurred. As for Jadzia Dax, get real! She was one the very central characters on DS9 for six years. Maybe Terry Farrell overplayed her hand in negotiations (I don't remember the details), thinking the producers couldn't replace her character. But replace they did, and the show suffered for it.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Or send Alexander to Klingon boarding school?

20. Suffered for it? I for one never liked her character or missed the loss. I am probably an outlier though, so I take your point.

21. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I'm just saying that she had a place in the bigger picture and when she was out, the transition was not smooth.

My favourite characters are the Ferengi.

22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

She was hired for a network sitcom "Becker" with Ted Danson (never watched it). I don't blame her. She knew there was only one more year for DS9, it was syndicated and not that popular, and she'd have a longer job with a higher profile on the sitcom.

Deesky, Saintbert and sunspot42 like this.
  23. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I, too, enjoyed the 3rd episode much more than the first two. I'm trying not to worry about things not matching the established timeline, and that helps. This one had some interesting intrigue and a spooky haunted house scene.

Stamets and Tilly are potentially interesting characters.

If I thought for a minute about Stamets' speech about spores and how quantum mechanics begets chemistry, it made my head spin, but again, I'm trying not to think too hard.

24. They explained that in Enterprise in a fairly comedic episode.

Saintbert and sunspot42 like this.
  25. I actually thought the change made for an interesting dynamic in a strong final season.

Saintbert likes this.