Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That is a completely inaccurate statement.

anthontherun likes this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think she's beyond that-she's a bonafide star that will write her own ticket once she's done with SNL, which will probably be at the end of the current season. She will definitely be toplining movies in the very near future. I'm actually amazed she's still on the show.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i think 1 more season and then shes done

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I was commenting on the show as it was on.

5. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I so agree. Baldwin is doing an impressionistic Trump and it's such an unflattering rip on him that it can't even be claimed by Trump as a "spell my name right" thing that he can point out to his friends like say Joe Piscopo doing Sinatra. Of course Baldwin could do an exact Trump but just the crappiness of the portrayal is funny(or not funny) in ITSELF!

Also as you say if you want a spot on impression that is so campy you'll cry laughing Anthony Atamanuik on the President show drops the boom every time!!!

6. I don't think she's famous enough beyond fans of the show to be a real "breakout star" just yet - give it until the end of this season.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Can't fault Baldwin - Trunp's destroyed satire for all comedians, and so even if you're recapping 'actual events', you can never be sure if it's satire or not.

Agree about Kate McKinnon. She's been great for years. For someone that's so cute IRL, she sure can contort herself into all manner of grotesque characters. Loved her Sessions.

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I didn't realize Sasheer Zamata had left the show until the opening credits. Much lower profile departure than the other two cast members.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Was there a Classic SNL on last week at 10pm? My DVR didn't record it if there was. Looks like there is one this week.

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

They re-ran the Lin-Manuel Miranda episode from last season. Great monologue!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Didn't realize that and sorry to hear. Mainly because she sure was easy on the eyes.

GoodKitty likes this.
  12. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Sasheer was beautiful
    Kate is one of SNL's most talented & funniest ever. Top 10. Maybe even better.
    With good writing the cast from the last 5 yrs was quite capable. The writing can get so bad though it's almost bizarre

13. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I will say this about Mr. Baldwin: He is very good and versatile enough a comedic actor. I just watched some old bits of him as a host and I would certainly welcome him back (as a host). He's still going to be around almost every week to do his effortless Trump, so why not stick around for the whole show...

14. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

In my predictions for the next live cycle, I erroneously mentioned Will Arnett as having starred in "Will & Grace". It is actually Eric McCormick. I will try and re-edit this soon. As for Baldwin (who I predicted would host Nov. 11), if he does MC again, it will be turn #18. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets up to 20.

Do not be surprised if someone does do a tribute to the victims of the Las Vegas shootings on the show this week (SNL did for 9/11), and with Tom Petty now joining Rock and Roll Heaven, there could be a silent tribute to him as well.

And I encourage you to think what U2 might perform on the Nov. 18 show if they do so. It will be turn #4. One song I wish they would have done..."I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (one of U2's biggest hits they never got to do on their previous appearances).

Jrr and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. I've been watching SNL since the 1st season in 1975 - coincidentally my freshman year in college. The show has now devolved to a series of little diversions between the commercials - which like most of commercial TV are so frequent and annoying that I really can't stand it anymore. Enough is enough.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. Much lower profile on the show as well, which is probably why she's gone.

17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If you were a college freshman in 1975, you're not exactly the demographic the show aims for, or has ever aimed for. Imagine what someone in their early 60s in 1975 thought of the show then!

18. I would argue that my demographic was exactly what the show was aiming for in 1975 - we were all over it in our dorm that year. And my sensibilities haven't really changed with age - I get the comedy. It's the rampant takeover of advertising (underway for quite some time now actually) that I really can't deal with anymore.

rburly likes this.
  19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Well, yeah: college freshmen are a key part of the show's target demo. That's why most people tend to think the cast that was on when they were in college is the all-time best! (Although personally, my college cast was Hartman/Myers/Carvey/Hooks, which is fantastic, but Fey/Poehler/Dratch/Rudolph is my all-time favorite.) But the people who were college freshmen in 1975 or 1987 aren't who the advertisers are aiming at anymore.

Dudley Morris, Matthew Tate and Jrr like this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yea, I explained to my nephew why this is 'his time.' I don't know if he believes me. I said, you are the target audience for advertisers. I think it did stick with him when I explained about disposable income and not being employed yet.

21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I finally watched this first episode. I didn't care for the host and the combination of his giggling and being in nearly every skit turned me off. It can only get better for me this season.

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Wonder if The Funkhousers will return.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Interesting that many here don't seem to know who Ryan Gosling is.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, and that blond girl that joined him briefly in the opening monologue..

chacha likes this.
  25. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

my experience is weirder. my dad always watched wnbc news at 11. my parents strictly kept us to 9 o clock bedtime at school nights but Saturday was tv night Mary, newhart, carol and then as time went on the TV would be on for snl and the occasional late night got us into the habit of watching SNL from a few 2nd season shows and their reruns to can't miss it from 3rd season on... I was ten at the time and you are right.. the atmosphere of the show was more of an after hours repertory theater group than the professional comic performers of today. you kind of lolled along through those 90 minutes and figuratively (for me) "sipped your beer " and immersed yourself in the show. I remember seeing perhaps one of those first nights we did the episode where the Band came on and did three or four songs .. I didn't actually see the last waltz until 1986 but I always remember that intro from SNL. ah such were the days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.