Beach Boys - Wild Honey LP in Stereo - 'Sunshine Tomorrow' 2Cds + live digital release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Yes, sorry, "A Thing Or Two." The 2-beat pause is on the Capitol L.P., Reprise twofer L.P., and the Capitol twofer CD that I have. (Not sure of the year.) Right before the final "Do right baby."

Hep Alien and Daniel Plainview like this.
  2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Hmmm...why didn't they just present the album per the master tape?

It seems that there's no way to buy Graduation Day 1966 in Australia or, if there is, I can't find one. Would love to have at least the two live tracks to complete the album (even if we don't know which performances were chosen.)

3. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

As I stated in an earlier post, the producers did not want to duplicate tracks already released. I doubt that they were aware that the Michigan shows were not available world wide. I suggest that you correspond with Capitol/UMe and ask if or when that release will be available to you.

4. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

On the well known Michigan boot Good Vibrations is incomplete. Does anyone know if the official release has the full version?

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Both 1966 Michigan shows are in full, as officially released last year.

Here is the link to listen on Spotify. I'm not sure if it translates outside the US, though.

Graduation Day 1966: Live At The University Of Michigan

Beatlened likes this.
  6. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The second show on the Sea of Tunes live box has a complete Good Vibrations.

7. drbeachboy

Was there another issue with GV from the Michigan shows other than one being short? Only Barbara Ann and You've Got To Hide Your Love Away were used for Lei'd In Hawaii.

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

9. Six Bachelors

I know that that is the case but I disagree with the approach, especially when this set has multiple instances of duplication with other releases, albeit mostly in different mixes. To present the tracks we have as "the album" when it isn't the album as envisaged and when adding two more tracks and adjusting the track order would have given us the album as envisaged (but for fake audience noise) seems to me to be silly reasoning.

I say this really loving this release.

Mr. Explorer and John Manning like this.
  10. drbeachboy

But this release was called Sunshine Tomorrow, not Lei'd In Hawaii. They gave us tracks, not the full album. They never promised us anything to the contrary. Also, as to duplication, different mixes do make it different.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Six Bachelors

I'm well aware of what the release is called but if you read the back cover, you will see that the tracks are under the heading, LEI'D IN HAWAII "LIVE" ALBUM SEPTEMBER 1967, PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED. The liner notes group the tracks as LEI'D IN HAWAII "LIVE" ALBUM.

The the only reasonable inference is that this is the album as originally planned. It isn't.

As for different mixes avoiding duplication, one would imagine that the Michigan tracks would have been edited, at least at either end, and therefore unique cuts compared with Graduation Day 1966 and therefore suitable for inclusion.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. drbeachboy

They are the studio tracks from Lei'd In Hawaii, not the complete album. The only thing advertised as a complete album is the Wild Honey stereo mix. The other issue too, is that the Michigan tracks are real "Live" tracks with audience noise, whereas the rest of Lei'd... are studio tracks. Maybe, had the audience noise been added (the last step in the process) to the studio tracks, then we may have gotten the complete album.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Six Bachelors

Which comes back to my original point - just adding two more tracks to present the pre-fake audience master would have been nice and any duplication would have been insignificant.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. drbeachboy

Adding those 2 would take away two others. I am happy the way it is. Plus, we don't know if the 2 Michigan tunes were stripped or if they kept the audience noise from those shows. Sure would sound weird to have 8tracks with no audience, 2 with, then another 2 without.

Mr. Explorer, Hep Alien and pobbard like this.
  15. ShockControl

Which are the two tunes that are missing, and where do you find them?

16. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

17. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Regarding the last two links above:
    Safari can't open the page because the page's address isn't valid.

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

19. ShockControl

So Graduation Day is the only missing track?

20. drbeachboy

Graduation Day is the name of the album. The two songs are from it on Lei'd In Hawaii are Barbara Ann and You'e Got To Hide Your Love Away.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. ShockControl

Thanks. So if you add those tracks to the Sunshine Tomorrow tracks, you have a more or less complete album?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. drbeachboy

Yes, then you do have the complete album. I posted the proper sequence in post 1795.

Mr. Explorer and Hep Alien like this.
  23. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Not sure why they didn't work. They're just links to the iTunes and Amazon Digital Music stores.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Six Bachelors

Would it take away two others? Is disc two maxed out at 80 minutes?

Also, as you said earlier, the Michigan tracks were actually live so would likely have audience noise on them. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest to have them in that form. I want them in that form.

Mr. Explorer and Hep Alien like this.
  25. MAYLAN

MAYLAN New Member

Hello, same for me ! I returned my first copy to Amazon but the second one was the same ! pops and noise everywhere ! Please, can you say me if you have now the US copy and if it's better ? Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.