Am I the only one bored with late night talk shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

maybe its because I grew up watching Carson and Letterman, I just find today’s late shows quite lame. I do think Fallon has some really funny moments. Conan does as well when there is a guest I like. Maybe, since im 50, the shows do not appeal to my age group. Plus, Johnny was pretty much it until Joan Rivers went on her own. Now, every OTA network, plus cable channels have a late night talk show. Late at night, ill watch a netflix doc or flip around on Youtube.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Boring? I'm bordering on hate when it comes to Jimmy Kimmel...he is the slimiest slime ball creep talk show host ever...I can stand him...

3. Michael

Fallon is incredibility talented...

Vinyl Addict and ransmiller like this.
  4. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I love The Late Late Show with James Corden

He keeps the monologue short and sweet, has some good skits, and interviews his guests all together, Graham Norton style. Fun show.

My only problem with him is he gets a bit too fawning with guests. Every movie/TV show they do is "brilliant", although that may just be a British thing.

lightbulb and Texastoyz like this.
  5. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I think he's a funny guy, but he comes across as so smug I can't enjoy his comedy.

6. Michael

: ) I like his Aunt...

groundharp likes this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I liked Craig Ferguson's show and that was about it.

KAT, WLL, slovell and 14 others like this.
  8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

To his detriment. It's all too pat and cute.

9. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I don't know, Colbert gives him a run for his money with the slimey creep factor.

10. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Conan during his NBC 'Late Night' run was probably the only show I could watch from beginning to end on a consistent basis without really tiring. His style of humor and unorthodox approach to the game really resonated with me as a teen and through my 20s. A lot of that magic was lost with the earlier time slot and everything seemed a bit off ever since. Leno and Letterman never really were my style at the time I was a nightly talk show viewer; however, I have watched some of Letterman's show from the 80s on Youtube that looked a lot rawer and probably something I would have been a fan of back then. Ferguson was also a funny guy, but I generally only liked the show when he had fellow comedic guests in the chair with sharp improv wit. And as for Fallon, his main talent seems to be the games and skits. His interviews are usually nothing to write home about.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. Michael

if you say so as I do not know much about him other than he's a a jerk from what I've read and heard about him...

12. Michael

I like Conan...I personally know Jimmy & Jerry Vivino.

13. Michael

I'm just going by the skits I've seen him do...and each one he nailed!

14. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Yes, you are the only one. n:)

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

:yawn:

16. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched an entire episode of a talk show on the television. I only watch the clips and interviews uploaded to YouTube.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Decades ago, I used to watch some late night talk shows because there was usually nothing else on. Today, there's so much quality tv to watch (when I want to watch), that talk shows are completely beside the point.

18. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I haven't watched late night talk shows or SNL since the 80s and since ditching social media, I don't even see clips anymore.

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I pretty much stopped watching late night shows when Letterman (his '80s show on NBC was the greatest late night show of my lifetime) moved to CBS. After that I would watch very occasionally if a guest I really wanted to see was on.

I got to the point where I could no longer stand Leno's horrible when-can-I-work-my-joke-in interviewing, and Letterman gradually moved from creepily funny to just plain alienating, As for their successors, from what I've seen of them I'm not missing much.

Also the insistence of today's hosts to shove p*l*t*cs in my face under the guise of entertainment does not appeal to me. Though I admit even if this were not happening I probably wouldn't watch this current late night crop anyway.

Gumboo, hifisoup, Regginold31 and 9 others like this.
  20. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Fallon is the over the top frat boy that you just can't wait to get away from. He's unwatchable.
    Then again, so is all of late night TV right now.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

They all suck. I've not watched any late night talk show since Carson said goodbye.

Leno blew chunks. Letterman, come on, Fallon, more like fallen. The bulk of daily TV shows in general is all trash.

Gumboo, Doug_B, SandAndGlass and 5 others like this.
  22. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Seth Meyers (of Late Night with Seth Meyers fame) has found his place beautifully in the current political atmosphere. If you expect something else from your talk show, he's not for you, but to me he's the top. He is a great interviewer, to boot, actually willing to listen to his guests. Watching him find his own way has been really rewarding.

Craig Ferguson was on another level back in the day. He had a total gem in his sidekick, Geoff Peterson (Josh Robert Thompson), and he came off arrogant, bored, funny and all those things, but most importantly, genuine. (Think of Jimmy Fallon but the exact opposite) He re-modelled the late night talk show format in his own image, and the shows bear watching after all these years.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    slovell, Greg Gee, Dave112 and 15 others like this.
  23. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I liked Carson and Letterman and really loved Conan. I don't find any of the current crew all that funny or inspiring. Unless they're in Congress, I don't want to hear their politics.

Mostly, though, I have no idea who all these young guests are...so basically, I'm out of touch.

24. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I have not followed anyone regularly since Carson went off the air.
    He's the Secretariat of the genre

25. I'm in the same boat. I watched late night back when I use to stay up late -now I'm down most nights by 10:30. I never rated these shows, even the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, as "must see TV" -so I catch the occasional clip on YouTube or HuffPost and leave it at that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.