2017 Halloween Scary Movie Challenge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SquishySounds, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice. Thread Starter

October is almost here. Are you looking for a way to celebrate the season without eating several bags of bite sized candy bars? Then it's time for the Halloween Scary Movie challenge; watch 31 scary movies in 31 days of October. Post the movies you watch and your thoughts on them.

This is all for fun and it's the honor system. So if you personally think Jem and the Holograms is terrifying you can count it. We will judge you silently.

I'm looking forward to seeing a couple films I just haven't gotten around to yet, Lords of Salem, The VVitch, and Phantasm if I can find it (I only ever see the sequels On Demand).

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Will anyone be watching It or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

mj_patrick likes this.
  3. SquishySounds

1st Movie in the bag!

Dracula (1931)

I can’t believe I’ve never actually seen the whole movie before. I’m rather disappointed he didn’t say “blah be-blah”

But did you know Dracula has armadillos in his Castle!?!
    [​IMG]

And a bee he carved a tiny casket for. Nobody ever talks about Dracula the perpetually bored guy who has nothing else to fill his Nights with so he learned miniature woodworking
    [​IMG]

Vidiot, iggyd, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's on the pile...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Drag Me To Hell UR
    House Of 1,000 Corpses
    The Devils Rejects...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. SquishySounds

I love how, although technically a sequel, TDT goes in a totally different direction from HoaTC. It’s penny dreadful to extreme true crime TV

7. SquishySounds

Boys in the Trees - Oh God, getting through this was a slog. First it has the cardinal sin of twenty-somethings with receding hairlines playing highschool kids. And on top of that it’s boring. Something about a coming-of-age story and the protagonist is following a ‘ghost of the past’ (an actual kid in a ghost costume) or something. I really only watched it because Netflix has a limited selection of horror titles I could download to watch at work.

Not the worse film ever made, but it’s also not good. 2/5 Dont bother

Two down. Twenty nine to go :-popcorn:

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i always watch scary movies but usually don't start for another week or so

9. I wont be participating as I commit to the time, but I recommend other include this creepy movie on their list:
    [​IMG]

10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

My wife and I watch all month. I'll try to post as we watch.

#1 - Cosmic Monsters (1958) (also known as "The Strange World of Planet X")

[​IMG]

This one I do not recommend. A scientist messes with magnetic waves and supersizes insects. It is a very slow film, with very little payoff. It is very demeaning towards the women (the lead is supposed to prove them wrong, but it doesn't come off well). The lead actress also had her voice overdubbed, because she had a heavy French accent, and it is awkward. The effects are bad, and not in a "so bad they are good" way. We found it outright boring, which is the worst thing I can say about films of this genre.

If you want a giant insect movie that is actually a fantastic film, watch THEM! (1954).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    The Revealer likes this.
  11. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

A late start, but I'll catch up. My first: The Pact. A favorite modern horror movie, does just about everything right.
    [​IMG]

Scott in DC likes this.
  12. SquishySounds

[​IMG]
    Just finished 10 Cloverfield Lane John Goodman, Mary Winstead, and John Gallagher carry 95% of this movie about two hostages and their doomsday-prepper captor through three rooms of a bunker entirely by dialog.

An original concept. And it’s good. 4/5, would recommend.

rebellovw, Karnak, iggyd and 2 others like this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I liked the movie until the final act. Then it kinda got carried away. But I still think highly of it, overall.

Bingo Bongo and Heavy Music like this.
  14. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

This one terrified me so much (along with other facts) that I have not eaten @ Mickey D's since 2008 (One time thing, after a concert, very limited options)

[​IMG]

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  15. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

And my personal favorite Comedic-"Horror" film:

[​IMG]

16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I was expecting this type of ending. Or at least... half expecting it.

Did you see Cloverfield?

17. SquishySounds

The ending was why it didn’t get 5/5 for excellent film

18. Daniel Plainview

Yes I did.

19. Daniel Plainview

"Are you out of your ****ing mind, Wendy?"

daca likes this.
  20. SquishySounds

[​IMG]
    13 Demons
    Netflix has this little gem. Imagine a mashup of 80% Mazes & Monsters and 20% Jumanji with a budget of five dollars. I have a soft spot for no-budget films and while this should have simply been a ‘bad’ movie, I just loved the chemistry between Grey and Falicki. Or maybe it was Cunningham. I don’t actually know, none of the characters have names in the movie and IMDB lists them as ‘player 1’, ‘player 2’, and ‘player 3’. So I loved 2 & 3, but didn’t care for 1. I think. I’m so confused. The music is also atmospheric and better than expected. I’m definitely going to rewatch this movie again when I’m more “Chemically enhanced”

Dialog example:
    “It’s just a game!”
    “It’s not a game!”
    “It’s just a game!”
    “It’s not a game!”

3/5. Middle of the road, probably good if you like herbal medicine. :drool:

21. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Last night I watched The Revenge Of The Vampire Women.
    Psychedelic Mexican monster masked wrestler goodness.

iggyd likes this.
  22. SquishySounds

Do you like gory slasher movies and horror anthologies? Well then Tales of Halloween is probably right up your alley. I like anthologies because most spooky stories don’t need 90 minutes to tell and they usually improve from cutting the fat.
    [​IMG]
    You get the usual ghosts, ghouls, murderous trick-or-treaters and a wide variety of talent on-screen and behind the camera. Half the stories are good, half are pretty bad. This movie is a solid ‘Average’, It never lives up to the Stephenn King classic Creep Show, but I liked it a lot more than Tales from the Hood. My personal favorite segment is the second, The night Billy raised Hell.

3/5 - I wouldn’t screen it for a room full of six year olds, but teenagers will probably like it.

iggyd likes this.
  23. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I was just thinking about doing something this morning. The wife and I will probably start this weekend. Not sure what we will watch this month, but we traditionally watch the wife's two faves, Carnival of Souls and Horror Hotel.

beat_truck, Jimi Bat and ando here like this.
  24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

A little late to the party but it's early yet. Yeah, I've got Carnival of Souls in my queue for my next viewing. Tonight it's

[​IMG]
    Sweeny Todd (2006, David Moore)
    For those who don't know it:
    A BBC adaptation of the Victorian "penny dreadful" tale of 18th century "demon barber" Sweeney Todd, of Fleet Street, who cuts the throats of unsuspecting clients in his London shop.
    Course, I'd rather be watching the Angela Lansbury featured musical version but this'll do. Picked it up years ago and never watched it (Horror isn't my thing, Halloween excepted!).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Well that and his hot vampire chicks:)

Pinknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.