Liam Gallagher's first solo album "As You Were" released 10/6/17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Had a chance to hear some of this today. I think it's pretty good!

Anyone else enjoying this?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
  2. George P

My favorite song so far is probably "Paper Crown."

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Greedy Soul.

Mr Hankey likes this.
  4. George P

The b sides on the deluxe edition are good, as well. I would say this is a solid album.

5. alexpop

Thinking of getting the LP.

Mike Vlcek and George P like this.
  6. George P

7. alexpop

I think this is a very good album for Oasis fans. Noel's first two albums( hopefully 3rd as good) were excellent. Big brother Noel is the more gifted songwriter then/now. But ..Liam was fundamentally the Oasis sound and maybe/definitely the soul of the band. Anyways anyhow Liam's solo album is heaps better than BE. Oasis fans can rejoice...as you were.

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Have to say I quite fancy this. I like what I've heard so far.

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

"UK white male rock? We will let ex-NME Laura have a go again, so we know for sure we can publish a biased view!"

Snapes should have no role in music journalism. Besides her tone being insufferable, she's always ill-informed (sometimes thinks bonus tracks are part of albums proper, and this time she shows a lack of musical knowledge while comparing the vocal style of the mellow material of 40 year old Lennon to 45 year old Liam Gallagher in full rock voice), can't fill up a review without having endless of references and comparisons with other artists, often drags social commentary into completely unrelated subjects and over-analyses rock lyrics as if they're being presented as five-star poetry in a theatre.

And this is another example of that. I'm just saying, know what to expect when you see Laura Snapes reviewing an album: Laura Snapes' stinky Pitchfork review of The 1975 | RipFork

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for posting these, I also like what I have heard (had to listen a little to this one before I decided to buy) and will be picking up the CD tomorrow, if really good, will get the vinyl as well.

As for as "Pitchfork" reviews go, I most never pay attention to their reviews as they are so busy kissing the a#$ of bands like Vampire Weekend and most likely Liam might have got them upset over something, just speculating.

mooseman and George P like this.
  11. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

My copy arrives tomorrow. I ordered the deluxe edition, so they've been sending me tracks now and then. I like what I've heard so far, especially "Chinatown". Hard to really embrace the idea of Liam without Noel, but I managed with Beady Eye so I'll try again. Full disclaimer: I am a huge Oasis fan.

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for calling out the deluxe version, was not aware there was a version with 3 bonus tracks. Called my local shop and they are holding me this version that I can get tomorrow.

FredCamp, thanks for calling out as well, and more power to a huge Oasis fan!

Can I deviate from this thread for just one question since other threads have been closed. I have really been digging the heck out of "Dig Out Your Soul" recently, easily my 3rd favorite Oasis release (can't count The Masterplan since a compilation of sorts). Is there a really good vinyl version of this available? Never got any vinyl from them as I always thought their albums could have been better produced at times...

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. alexpop

Is it me, but does LG debut album not sound production wise more commercial than NG 2 albums ?

14. alexpop

Think I get Deluxe then vinyl later date.

Erik B. likes this.
  15. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I like BE a lot. Like Different Gear, it’s one of those CD’s that rarely leave my car CD changer. It has been my most played album of the last few months. All Music describing BE as “neo-psychedelia” is not accurate. I think those little spacey sounds at the end of some songs must be what he was talking about. But it is a mellow album for the most part.

I like what I have heard from the new album and I look forward to reading all your other linked reviews.

George P likes this.
  16. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

blows away beady eye. the co writers really have helped. i'm not sure if it will have much staying power with me, but i am enjoying the first listen i am currently in the midst of.

17. Received my vinyl this morning, a day early. Has "CB" in the deadwax.

18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

You're in for a treat then!

'Doesn't Have To Be That Way' is Liam in an almost unrecognisable style, Tame Impala in overdrive. Composition wise not super strong, but it has a great sound. Understandable it didn't fit in the album sequencing, but more than worthy as a bonus track.
    'All My People / All Mankind' a fine 6/8 Liam solo composition with his usual slight doom-y melodies.
    'I Never Wanna Be Like You', a Liam solo composition in his recognisable writing style: acoustic strumming, repetitive, but honest and kinda sweet with high vocals. I personally love this one, it should've made the album.

19. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

As long as it's better than the Beady Eye albums, I'll be happy.

20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to checking this out!

21. 'Doesn't Have To Be That Way' floored me! I did not expect sounds like that at all at this stage of the game from Liam, I thought it really works.

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Please let us know the sound quality of the vinyl if you do not mind. Interested in having that as a companion to the deluxe CD version...hoping for the best!

23. This album does seem aimed at mainstream success and radio play. I wouldn't say Liam has sold out or anything, but I suspect label pressures have pushed him in this more accessible direction than the Beady Eye albums.

FJFP likes this.
  24. I hardly think I have the discerning ear of many others here but it sounds great to me - lots of bottom end. Sounds night and day to the digital versions I had heard of some of the songs. I am sure someone else will hopefully chime in with their views as well - I love the production on the album though.

scotti likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I must be the only person who liked beady eye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.