Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It was a magazine that was geared toward CD collectors like us. It had a huge list of new releases for the month, had news from the labels, and even a section for questions and complaints called the CD Watchdog.

The magazine discontinued publication in the late 90s. I don't remember exactly why, but I think it was because the reader base was shrinking, and the labels were never too keen on disseminating information.

I had a subscription for it until I discovered I could by it at the bookstore, too.

Hep Alien and fsutall like this.
  2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Is Wishful Sinful on the Japanese set?

3. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

4. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Nyet. I presume it was never released as a single or B-side in Japan.

5. Six Bachelors

Thanks for the replies. Nevermind. That would have made for an interesting comparison.

Still hoping our host chimes in on this issue.

Had a listen to these again - they are so different. The compilation version is totally wonky, at least in this section. Whatever it is, surely it isn't a real vintage mix. The way the voice moves sounds totally unnatural and not deliberate.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I am sure there is an explaination for it, but I doubt Bruce Botnick will tell us.

This is not specifically about this package, but it may give us some insight:
    The Doors & Bruce Botnick: It Hinged On This - The Audiophile Man

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

That article is interesting regarding the 50th anniversary set for the s/t album.

Sounds like the stereo disc has the Sax remaster from a few years ago. It says the vinyl pressing of the mono edition uses the Bernie Grundman master that was originally done for the vinyl box in the late 2000s. I'm guessing they used the same master for the mono CD? The article didn't specify.

Anyways, back to the Singles release.

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Which were the Sax remasters? Are those the ones on HDtracks? I haven't heard the stereo 50th so I'm not sure how it compares. I'm completely happy with the HDtracks. I have heard the 50th mono and it's the same as the digital download from a few years ago but with slightly different EQ. I like the EQ of the 50th better but they are very close.

9. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

The Sax remasters were originally done for the Analogue Productions SACDs and 45 RPM vinyl releases of the 6 Morrison albums.

There isn't a lot of info about the mastering for the HDtracks release, but I think those came out a year before Sax remastered the first 6 albums, so it's not the Sax remasters. But I have seen a lot of positive feedback on the HDtracks release.

rnranimal likes this.
  10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Oh, yes, the SACDs. I forgot about those. I didn't care for the first album in that series. A backup copy was used because the master was too far gone. However, it sounds to me like the HDtracks used the master. Either way, I like the HDtracks a lot.

Yeah, I was never clear on who mastered the HDtracks. I wonder if Bruce did them. They've become my preferred versions and I've retired everything else.

Floyd47 likes this.
  11. Six Bachelors

Thanks.

Does anyone know if Bruce is on twitter or Facebook?

Also, can someone with the 45 singles box check what Wishful Sinful on that sounds like?

12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’m still attempting to successfully buy the 2-CD/1-BD version from Amazon. First one had a small cut in the cardboard sleeve that I was going to overlook until I noticed that disc 2 had a fairly substantial scratch. The replacement arrived with a smashed corner and a big hole in the middle of the shrink wrap that resulted in half of the hype sticker being stuck to the cardboard.

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

In that article, Bruce is describing the 50th debut as using a previous Doug Sax mastering from the original masters. But isn't he describing the mastering for the SACD which didn't use the original master tape but a copy?

14. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I think ICE actually survived up through the mid-2000s. It was a valuable resource for many years, but became expendable once virtually all of the news and release info they provided could be found instantly 24/7 on the internet.

15. Agreed! Pete is a great guy, and his knowledge of Dylan releases is second to none.

Hep Alien and Grant like this.
  16. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

There is a profile on facebook , can't find him on twitter but i found bruce lee

Six Bachelors likes this.
  17. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

The mono Soft Parade mixes on disc 2 are the highlight of the set for me.

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I thought straight away that the mono radio promo versions of Wishful Sinful and Tell All The People were the gems on this release. I remain somewhat disappointed with Touch Me. I thought the mono youtube clip with reverb was far better.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Six Bachelors

There really should be a replacement disc one, with the correct Wishful Sinful and no authoring problem on BOT. Fat chance of that though.

Did someone say that there are other "radio" mono mixes not included in this set, e.g. one for Wild Child?

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Has anyone purchased the vinyl box set and sound quality??got cd .but after who singles i got never play them to lazy to go to turntable evere few mins

21. John D.

John D. Senior Member

They should probably put this 7" singles box set on a set of LP's. I would buy that, I liked 7" singles back in their heyday, but not anymore.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Got my copy of the CD and Blu-Ray today, threw Disc 1 on in the car and it wouldn't play. Turns out they sent me an extra Blu-ray disc instead of the first CD.

Soundslave likes this.
  23. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

This is my review of the 'The Doors: The Singles' for The Maine Edge (an arts & entertainment weekly). Nothing new here that hasn't been discussed but I managed to include a shout-out to this great forum, a quote from Steve (from earlier in this thread) as well as ascot.

The Doors finally release original singles mixes

IMFXL, Hep Alien, ascot and 3 others like this.
  24. blurayisking

blurayisking Forum Resident

Ordered the 2CD + Blu-ray version from Amazon.ca here in Ontario Canada and got no DISC 1 but two DISC 3 + DISC 2. Needless to say, sent it back for full refund. Must be a bad batch.

25. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

got my 2CD + BD, i still haven't listened :wiggle: