INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Oct 5, 2017.

1. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

As far as I know, the "Nick 12" Mix" was the only remix of this song from 88. There's also the "Nick 7" mix," which I think is just an edit of the longer version. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? I only ever heard the album version on the radio back in the day.

2. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Love the song too, but it ain't on Kick, it's on Shabooh, Shoobah. Doubt you'll ever see it get this sort of treatment.

3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

This was in regards to the best of being released on vinyl. This Time is another one.

OptimisticGoat and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I agree. Take out Taste It.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Gotcha. My bad. And I agree with you 100-percent!!!

Unreal that they wouldn't put it on any "best of" collection. Totally whacked.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I don't know, I like INXS and I love Kick having bought it multiple times now in various formats.

Is this truly worthy of yet another anniversary edition?

It is getting a bit out of hand now....

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting but bizarre track list. Im going to make the playlist in iTunes and see how it works as a "mix tape".

"The One Thing" was a hit in US, while several of those listed weren't. This must be an international release of some sorts, but ommiting "Don't Change" and calling it Very Best Of loses credibility. WTF?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  8. kingbaz

kingbaz Well-Known Member

The listen Like Thieves Mofi release is amazing so would be interested to hear how good the The Very Best Of INXS cut at Abbey Road Studios is

9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have that Japan expanded version already. I also have a bunch of CD singles. Still might end up picking this up though.

10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Absolutely one of my favorite songs of the 80's

11. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I would add that “Not Enough Time” is too good to leave off the silver vinyl set. Shake my head. :mad:

12. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Glad I found this thread! I had no idea about the vinyl releases, but I was aware of the cd release. I will be snagging up that vinyl for my inxs collection for sure!

Christopher B and Szeppelin75 like this.
  13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'll probably pass on this one. Just 5 years ago they released a 25th Anniversary Super Deluxe Limited Edition that I bought (3CD, 1DVD).

14. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I agree. They are beating a dead horse. I'm going to get this new set because I avoided all the other deluxe editions, hoping they'd finally collect all the b-sides and mixes together. Glad they finally did that, but I'd be pissed about this if I'd bought the other deluxe editions. The only copy of Kick I have is the Japanese special edition from 88.

I'd really like to see Listen Like Thieves get a deluxe edition. Not a huge box, just a 2CD set even. It had some hits and I'm kind of surprised they haven't tried to do this yet.

15. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

So.........count me in for the 5.1 option. I hear about Dolby Atmos (in fact I think I have some blu-ray movies that have this)....however, do you have to have a system that is designed for that format - to experience it?

16. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

My understanding is that your system will decode what it is able to from the Atmos stream. So if you have a 5.1 capable system, it will decode those channels.

17. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

When is the best of coming out?

18. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

November 17th

DHamilton likes this.
  19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Classic Track: INXS, "Need You Tonight" | Mixonline

Key quotes;

"The Kick album was recorded to one of the early an Otari 32-track digital recorders, “but slaved to Studer 800 MK3, which saved our bacon a couple times when [the Otari] said it was recording but actually wasn’t,” Nicholas says."

"Kick was mixed on another SSL 4K in London’s Air Studios (the Oxford Street location) by Bob Clearmountain,"

20. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

The exclusion of ‘Don’t Change’ on the ‘Best of’ may be the difference between me buying it and not buying it :mad:

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Odd omission, but out of curiosity, I googled the Very Best Of and it turns out this is an LP reissue of the single disc version of a cd from 2011. There was also a deluxe 2cd version that included Dont Change!

Shame the vinyl reissue isn't a 4 x LP covering all the songs from 2cd.

sparkmeister likes this.
  22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Holy smokes I was not expecting this! Love this album, love the MFSL Silver Series vinyl release...but surround? Hell yes!! Count me in!!

23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Can be 7 surround channels, LFE plus four overhead channels on Blu-ray (7.1.4)

Plan9 likes this.
  24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Well seeing Giles and Sam’s names attached has me less excited, I hope they do an expansive surround mix and get it mastered properly, the Peppers mix was tame and over compressed.

Plan9 and maxwell2323 like this.
  25. moni

moni Forum Resident