Jeff Lynne's ELO to release new live album 17.11.17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larsen, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

JEFF LYNNE'S ELO 'WEMBLEY OR BUST' LIVE CD/DVD
    CONCERT FILM RELEASED 17TH NOVEMBER
    RECORDED AT WEMBLEY STADIUM SATURDAY JUNE 24TH

Watch the trailer:

‘Nothing short of flawless’ - Guardian

'Epic… An avalanche of rock’ - Daily Express, 5*

Having released an acclaimed new album ‘Alone in the Universe’ in 2015, sold out multiple arena tours, and had an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, Jeff Lynne’s ELO will release a live CD/DVD of their legendary concert at Wembley Stadium in June. Titled ‘Wembley or Bust’ and directed by Paul Dugdale it is out on multiple formats November 17th on Sony Music.

In ‘Wembley or Bust’ we see Jeff and his remarkable musical ensemble filling Wembley Stadium with one of the greatest rock & roll spectacles of all time, complete with bells, whistles and spaceships in front of a 60,000 capacity crowd. As Jeff says himself, ’It’s the best time I ever had in music… It is beyond anything I could have imagined.'

Most importantly, the film includes performances of many of the most beloved songs of our lifetime, from vintage ELO classics like "Mr. Blue Sky," "Livin' Thing," and "Evil Woman" to "Do Ya" from his days with The Move, "Handle With Care" which he recorded with the Traveling Wilburys, right through "When I Was A Boy" from his latest ELO masterpiece, Alone In The Universe.

More popular than ever, Jeff Lynne’s ELO have always been known for their epic live shows and with a distinct style that seamlessly and innovatively blends rock, pop and classical, ELO has had twenty six UK Top 40 singles, making Lynne's sweeping productions some of the most recognisable music of the last forty years and helping sell over 50 million records worldwide.

Widely agreed upon as one of the greatest record producers in music history, Lynne was a co-founder and member of The Traveling Wilburys together with Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison and Tom Petty as well as a producer and collaborator with some of the biggest names in music including The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, and, most recently, Bryan Adams.

Tracklisting:
    1. Standin' In The Rain
    2. Evil Woman
    3. All Over The World
    4. Showdown
    5. Livin' Thing
    6. Do Ya
    7. When I Was A Boy
    8. Handle With Care
    9. Last Train to London
    10. Xanadu
    11. Rockaria!
    12. Can't Get It Out Of My Head
    13. 10538 Overture
    14. Twilight
    15. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
    16. Shine A Little Love
    17. Wild West Hero
    18. Sweet Talkin' Woman
    19. Telephone Line
    20. Turn To Stone
    21. Don't Bring Me Down
    22. Mr. Blue Sky
    23. Roll Over Beethoven

'Wembley or Bust’ is available on the following formats:
    2 CD
    2 CD/DVD
    2 CD/Blu Ray
    Vinyl (3 Discs)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Looks very good. Hopefully decent sound quality unlike Hyde Park DVD

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  3. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Always liked ELO but not a huge fan. Gotta say I was floored watching an HD download of the recent Glastonbury performance. Incredible!

4. Larsen

Agreed! I also hope this is the live recording without loads of tweaking in post production, but I guess there will be some.

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Why the Jeff Lynne's ELO on the album cover etc?

It was ALWAYS Jeff Lynne's ELO.

Jack, 3Dman and savemenow like this.
  6. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Pre ordered. Last night I was listening to "Cant Get It Out Of My Head" , I got teary!

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

To differentiate from the 'band'-era ELO when there was more than one official member.

lawrev, longaway and Galley like this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

And there is my problem with Jeff Lynne these days, as E.L.O. was ALWAYS a "band" to me, not just him, even though I realize that the turn of almost every knob was his doing. Kelly's vocals, Bev's drumming, Richard's keyboards ..., I mean just who were those other three guys pictured on the inner sleeve of "Discovery"? I guess that those guys were just a figment of my imagination!?!

9. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

Looks amazing ! Can't wait.

10. PretzelLogic

I think that's why he's not just calling himself ELO; it's an easy way to acknowledge that Bev, Kelly etc. did contribute to what was ultimately his vision (after Roy left) in the original ELO, but also potentially deflect from anyone who might confuse him with ELO II.

Frosst likes this.
  11. Chris C

Being a fan of E.L.O. since 1975, I have never considered "ELO II" anything more than a band "pretending" to carry on something that Jeff Lynne at the time didn't want to waste his time with. Now that he has finally realized that he will never be officially called "The Fifth Beatle" and that The Electric Light Orchestra is his "cash cow" towards retirement (How many commercials are now using Jeff's re-recordings of ELO songs?), I find it rather sad for him to call it "Jeff Lynne's ELO". Bottom line, even from this old fan's cheap seats, Jeff is ego tripping beyond ego tripping!

12. Michaelpeth

He's an idea for you.

Really you know nothing of JL's ego or whether the band name is contractual, legal, egotistical or purely for the sake of clarity given the number of other ELO derivates there have been. So, given we've just lost a fabulous musician, performer and songwriter prematurely this week, why not just enjoy the fact we are still able to listen and watch JL perform. Either that or take your whinging, childish negativity elsewhere to sully an alternative thread perhaps?

Vel, Lonecat, Pelvis Ressley and 18 others like this.
  13. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Looks great, but only one song from "Alone In The Universe"??, I love the album, so many great songs

RickH and Dog Ear like this.
  14. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

So will Roll Over Beethoven be on the US pressing or taken off like other releases?

15. Larsen

The vinyl edition looks good, but $55? Not enough value for that price, IMO.

16. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I'll be holding off on ordering this until it's clear that the American version is the same as the UK version. With the Hyde Park show, the US version cut out Roll Over Beethoven.

17. Chris C

WOW, I thought my friends who hated ELO back when I was loving them were mean, but dude that spew that you just threw at me was pure hatred. What the hell Petty dying has to do with Jeff Lynne and what I said in this thread, is beyond me? I'm sorry for your loss, but it wasn't just YOUR loss, as I'm feeling it too!

Comet01 and Groovy like this.
  18. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

There was also a BBC Radio Theatre Show in 2015 that I downloaded out of curiosity from a trader's site. It was fantastic! Very energetic and Jeff was I good voice.

19. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

In addition to the fantastic performance, gotta say I love the very attractive female orchestral players, prominently featured!

Michaelpeth likes this.
  20. PretzelLogic

Well, considering we're now at 40% Wilbury, I'd say there's some relevance.

Jeff isn't going to reunite with anyone other than Richard Tandy - surely it'd be more disingenuous to call his band ELO now than adjust it for historical accuracy? He can't not call it ELO (there's far less money in a Jeff Lynne + friends tour), but having been the sole songwriter in a band (and primary instrumentalist), there's certainly no barrier to him calling his band Jeff Lynne's ELO.

Out of interest, what would you suggest he does?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Vel, Beaneydave, RickH and 2 others like this.
  21. Michaelpeth

That's not hatred mate. It's merely my opinion on your post. Don't take it to heart. There's worse things in life than to have a slight disagreement on a music forum.

smilin ed and savemenow like this.
  22. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I didn't think this sounded all that interesting given that Hyde Park has already been released, but it looks like there's a number of unique songs.

At a quick glance:
    - 13 songs overlap
    - 3 songs on Hyde Park only
    - 10 songs on Wembly only

Except for Richard Tandy, is this is the same core touring group? I saw one of last year's Radio City Music Hall shows and I might just get this for the songs I didn't get to hear!

Also, any extras on this? Hyde Park had that documentary which was a really nice addition.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well...at least it's not half the songs, plus an unrelated studio bonus track.

But I have no interest in this. So perfect as to be kind of boring, to be honest.

Would like a new studio album, though...

alexpop likes this.
  24. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

As a huge ELO fan I'm with the 'hate spewing guy.' The "Jeff Lynne's ELO" mantle serves as a reminder that ELO has become nothing but a brand. And its because I had such affection for the band that I become so annoyed by it.

That said, its not like I'm writing off Lynne or this album, I'm looking forward to it.

lawrev, Comet01, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  25. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

I feel like the "Jeff Lynne's ELO" serves a different purpose. I don't believe that it's to distinguish from the 1970-1986 era, nor ELO II.

Rather, I think it's just part of giving Jeff's name some street-level cred. Yes, he was involved in the Travelling Wilburys, and people know them. And people know a lot of the records he produced, and the people he produced for. But for the most part, if you asked people on the street who was in the Travelling Wilburys, it would be Alex Van Halen syndrome - people would say "Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, George Harrison, and.... that other guy", or if he was very lucky "that guy from ELO".

The lack of a household name didn't help "Armchair Theatre", and it didn't do "Long Wave" any favors either. But Jeff's served his time, and is due his credit. And as ELO rides a new wave of popularity, Jeff's name is now clearly along for the ride. Maybe that will help should he decide to do another solo album.

I sincerely don't believe that this is a "screw you" to Bev, Roy, Kelly, Richard, or anybody else. It's merely planting a flag on what was already his.

Vel, ashlee5, Octowen and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.