Recommend comics?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by beccabear67, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore. Thread Starter

Someone was given a couple of free comic books back in 1999 and they sat (probably unread) in their studio office for ages until I came along and found them and they were promptly re-gifted to me. One was Avengers #1 1/2 (a one-shot in an early '60s style including fake non comic book pages like a Sea Baboons ad on the back) X-Men The Hidden Years #1. I think they are both a lot of fun and tie in with old (now expensive) comics I've read. In other words I could understand them as they were part 11 of a 24 part story spread over five different titles or any of that. I've been picking up further issues of the Hidden Years X comic (up to #9 so far) but I would really appreciate it if anyone more in the know (I pretty much stopped buying any of what I call super comics back around 1986-87) can direct me to any more of these kinds of books. Were there any other #1 1/2 type of comics? I remember seeing some 'Flashback' special issues of things while looking but have no clue if those are more or less stand-alone like Avengers #1 1/2.

Thanks for any pointers.

I would like to recommend Beanworld comics/books to absolutely everyone and anyone!
    [​IMG]

Never met the artist or have any stake in his sales.

PhantomStranger, Culpa and alexpop like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You may be interested in Alan Moore's "1963" series of books done at Image, back in 1993. Kind of an, "Astro City meets early Marvel" vibe to 'em.

Also, loved Larry Marder's Beanworld! He had to give it up once he took on more responsibility down the hall at Image, but I found them quirky as hell - very inventive!

beccabear67 and Culpa like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Can't help ..cept a bump.

beccabear67 likes this.
  4. beccabear67

1963? Good title, I'll check that out for reading during the crap weather. Thanks! I used to love Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and even had some Doctor Whos way back. You start moving around and getting rid of things and then thirty years later find out you had a Hulk comic with the first Rocket Raccoon that sells for up to $200 now if only you'd have kept that one. :laugh:

I did keep some Elfquest and Spirit and Donald Duck, and feeling lucky to have the first few Bone comics.

alexpop likes this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I loved Tales of the Beanworld back in the '80s and '90s. "A Most Peculiar Comic Book Experience", indeed! I still have the original issues, up to around #19 or 20, if I recall correctly, and the three hardcover collections.

As for superheroes, I think roughly 1986 to 1988 was the peak for me. Frank Miller and Alan Moore both firing on all cylinders - Daredevil, Dark Knight, Batman Year One, Elektra: Assassin, Swamp Thing, Miracleman, Watchmen, and then some. Hard to believe that all came out in such a short period of time.

beccabear67 likes this.
  6. Is that the comic that took place in a 2D world, or am I thinking of something else?

7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

No, that's not Beanworld, but it does sound interesting!

8. Check out Kurt Busiek's Marvels.

[​IMG]

beccabear67, Culpa and DeeThomaz like this.
  9. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

If you want mature modern anthropomorphism with gritty imagery and drama, check out this black cat.
    [​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Some day ask me to tell you about my first basement flood after 11 moves...:laugh: I believe the right comics are worth a lot of money, but it takes work to get them to a place where you can find a buyer that makes those Comic Price Guide dreams come true.

Hey, you wanna see some real benefit from those books? Take those Elfquest trade paperbacks, and start giving them to a neice or a nephew over a period of months. Especially if they don't read much. I gave my nephew my first twelve TP's of Ultimate Spider-Man over 12 months, starting on his 16th birthday. Best investment I ever made. (not counting Pixar's IPO, of course :nyah: )

beccabear67 likes this.
  11. beccabear67

Well, it is a kind of self-consciously 2D comic book world, but I don't remember if it's ever made an explicit statement about that in the comics. I had the first one and it got lost or traded somewhere along the way, and then i saw the gorgeous Dark Horse hardcover books a lot more recently and had to read all. I'm sure the great old Krazy Kat (with Ignatz Mice) was an influence on it.
    I did give away some Archie digest and Marvel paperback reprint things as partial presents in the past; there was a local charity where you had to buy clothing in the recipient child's size and I'd put an Archie Double-Digest in a pocket.

Oh yeah, looking at those Image 1963 comics now, looking like a lot of fun! :cool:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  12. The one I'm thinking of had a conceit that the world of the characters was 2D, so that they had to crawl over each other when passing or stand on top of each other in crowds, etc. I'll have to try and dig up what it was this weekend...

beccabear67 likes this.
  13. beccabear67

I'm having flashbacks of a Matt Howarth comic like that. Can't remember the title though, but I think it was a sort of comic within a comic. It might not be the one you saw but it was definitely about 2D alien creatures in a 2D universe (so far as they were aware anyway).

Okay, ordered a set of those 1963 Image comics, the fake ads on the backs might be worth the price alone! :laugh:

14. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Avengers 1 1/2 was awesome! I thought I was the only person who bought it.

The Marvel MC2 stuff from the late 90's had a very classic feel to it. If you liked John Byrne's X-Men: The Hidden Years, his run on Doom Patrol from the mid-2000s was awesome. Some liked Marvel: The Lost Generation, but I tried to read it maybe three times and just couldn't get in to it.

Check out some of Tom Scioli's work. It has a very Jack Kirby kind of feel.

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The best comic nobody knows about (actually, it s a run that's lasted for years so....). From Robert Kirkman, the creator of the Walking Dead, Invincible, is simply outstanding. It's actually Kirkman's take on the Superman mythos. Extremely entertaining!

16. beccabear67

Well, got the '1963' comics today... and was laffing out loud at some of the letter's pages ('Affable' Al might be swindling his swingin' sweatshop staff) and the Horus story (the only one I've read completely) made me remember early Thor. Great fun for any fearless front-facers who know the comics of the real 1963 era. :laugh: :thumbsup:

17. beccabear67

Got to the end of the 1963 comics but not sure where it goes... a Double Image special comic of some kind?

Trying to enjoy the X-Men, The Hidden Years but he keeps making really dumb temporal mistakes for something that would have been published in 1970-71 if it hadn't gone to reprints then. Mel Gibson, Skywalker, and Spielberg are all mentioned, plus a PC with a separate keyboard is shown on a desk in a 'flashback' sequence so that'd be a couple years before 1970 at least! Augh! Someone refers to Jean Grey as Ms. too, not sure that was too common yet then, Ms. Magazine didn't debut until 1972 in any case. There were a couple of others that stuck out like the Devil's Thumb in the Wrangell Mountains, and stuff like that makes me think John Byrne needed an editor. Oh, plus Marvel Girl is shown in scenes on the cover in costume but is in some torn up non-costume thing inside. This is why Marvel comics cannot compare to Thomas Hardy, Emily Bronte, Henry James or Little Willie Shakespeare (aka Christopher Marlowe). :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.