King Krule: how weird do you like your weird?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vern, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern

Vern Forum Resident Thread Starter

More weirdo avant-jazz zombie vibes coming out of London.

My vote gets a YES.

2. I vote yes as well. Sampled this song the other day and it has a unique and truly creative vibe that I don't see a whole lot of in newer music. Sounds like nothing I've heard before! I've got the album queued up in my Apple Music, stoked for the full release.

3. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

King Krule is not weird, if you like weird try late 70s early 80s Nick Cave and The Birthday Party, that's weird.

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

His voice is most definitely an acquired taste!

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  5. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Agreed. IMO, the tune's not bad but it is musically far, far from anything I'd call weird. Aside from the tired zombie vibe, even the video is straight forward.

c-eling and Dodoz like this.
  6. In defense of the OP, there are various definitions of weird when it comes to music. Certainly nothing you would hear on the radio. Also not the most experimental music I've ever heard, but a unique listen either way!

7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Isn't he popular because Jay Z or I don't know who that was totally unexpected supported him?

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Not very. No weirder than Mockingbird by Inez Foxx or Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads. In both of whose cases the rhythm more than makes up for it.

9. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

It's different in a modern context. Drawing from history, it sounded a bit to me like the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band meets The Residents.

Still, refreshingly different, if not for everyone.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Probably the 'oddest' I have in my collection-
    Rummelsnuff- :laugh:

11. Vern

Vern Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  12. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

I'm not sure if there's a cutoff point for my enjoyment of weird music, I love it all!

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  13. Streaming now. Vocals remind me of a cross between Chris Martin and ODB at some points... hahaha.

14. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

I like this! The album is a bit on the long side but maybe thats not too bad, it helps to create this little dark world.

15. andres lira

Lots of amazing songs in the album, but the title track gives me goosebumps.
    Somebody knows how's the vinyl pressing?

16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Where have you all been? His last 2 albums (one under his own name) have been absolutely superb! This new record is fantastic too, very dense collection of tracks that will take many plays to unpick.

He just excels in mood pieces. He started really young, still looks really young, but to me he is operating in that same sphere as Tom Waits.

Turn it up!

smoke and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  17. andres lira

That was incredibly pretty

Ryan_Pretzel and englishbob like this.
  18. englishbob

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

There's weird and there's trying to be weird. For me this all fits under 'trying'. It's better when you find someone who is absolutely sincere and has no idea how freakin' weird they are. That's where things get interesting.

20. englishbob

He's not weird

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

He has a cool vibe, but as far as “weird” goes, he’s (their?) no Ariel Pink or that other king, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.

I give it a thumbs up anyways.

22. Very good song, thanks for sharing!

23. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Every time I listen to this album it explodes larger and larger for me. I just ordered the limited edition vinyl pressing because I think this is going to go down as my favourite of 2017.

englishbob likes this.
  24. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Got the limited edition blue/orange vinyl pressing in the mail yesterday. Still available fairly cheap on amazon.co.uk. Mine came to around $45 CDN with shipping. Really nice pressing, flat and silent. At least compared to the stream I've been listening to, the vinyl sounds much better.

25. englishbob

Mind blown first thing this morning listening to this. Wish he had done this one on Jools the other week, would of been much better. KCRW is one of the best channels on YouTube to subscribe to.

Sublime

also another track from the same session

King Krule performing "Biscuit Town" Live on KCRW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.