INXS - "Kick" (30th anniversary edition with Dolby Atmos)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right, one of the biggest disappointments this year.

2. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Sadly I put a CD SoundRing on my Kick CD 25 years ago (you know, to make it sound better) and now I can't listen to it in the car. :doh:

[​IMG]

3. van1

van1 Forum Resident

The 'I'm only looking' 2 DVD set was mixed to 5.1 so will be interesting to see how different the kick tracks are, also the only way to hear the 'greatest hits' in 5.1

mdm08033 and JeffMo like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This thread is fascinating. Fist something called Atmos, and now Soundring. What the hell is that?

I've decided to hold out for Kick 35 which will come on SHM blu spec 5 HDCD lpcm SACD K2 platinum series with the exact same contents as Kick 25 and Kick 30 plus an additional bonus disc of live 1988 tour material, liner note photos of Michael's former supermodel girlfriends in various states of undress, and a package of Australian style black licorice..... :D

Christopher B, jamesc and morgan1098 like this.
  5. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Here's the picture I tried to post earlier:

[​IMG]

c-eling and mdm08033 like this.
  6. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

It's on Shine Like It Does, which is easily the most comprehensive INXS collection.

A bit surprised they left off (deep breath): Don't Change, The One Thing, This Time, Not Enough Time, and Good Time (with Jimmy Barnes). Quite a few later songs they could've left off to make room.

Or maybe someone hates all songs with the word "Time."

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

8. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

Well, I just revisited this and the songs on this set are 4.0 as center channel and no sub on this dvd set. As well the surround is so tame, the rear speakers are hardly used so this is should be easy to top.
    What I am disappointed at is that Bob Clearmountain mixed Kick(30 years ago) and he is one of the best in the business and would have done this surround justice for sure, just check out his job done on Roxy Music-Avalon 5.1 which is just sublime.

peter

Jimijam likes this.
  9. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

Bullmoose has the 3CD/Blu-Ray version up now. $37.97 shipped

INXS - Kick

10. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I must be blind, I don't see any info on the Best Of? When is it being released?

11. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Interested to see when the vinyl is available for sale.

12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Giles Martin did the surround mix
    Oh boy there won't be much happening in the rear channels and he probably through in some reverb in the height channels.

Jaap74 likes this.
  13. tron1974

tron1974 Senior Member

I've taken a number of those rings off without any issues on a bunch of used discs.

I'm pretty excited about this release but not sure about the price.

impalaboy likes this.
  14. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I saw INXS on their Listen Like Thieves tour right before my first year at college. They put on a great show.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  15. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I had the pleasure of seeing them on the Kick tour as well as Suicide Blonde. Kick was a great album but not their greatest. I wish The Swing and the earlier ones would get more deluxe love.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Ooo... another cash grab.. I have 2002 version don't need another one.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  17. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

Will be curious to see if Giles gets adventurous with the 5.1. I am hoping he takes a "different approach" with this release!!!

mdm08033 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Funnily enough, nothing you've mentioned there would support Atmos so it can't mirror the exact contents of Kick 30! ;)

Atmos has been around since Pixar's Brave was released...in June 2012! Many Blu-ray Discs have been released in the interim with Atmos mixes (it allows for up to 7.1.4 on Blu-ray, traditional 7.1 plus four height channels) including entire TV shows...most seasons of Game of Thrones are available on Blu-ray with Dolby Atmos mixes.

OptimisticGoat, Jimijam and JeffMo like this.
  19. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Since we'll be able to hear Michael's breath, maybe Giles will let us hear him pass gas in the rear channels.

Christopher B likes this.
  20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Well at least something will be coming out the rears

21. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

morgan1098 likes this.
  22. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

yeah, its one of their best songs. but here in the US wasn't played much, if ever. i only ever heard the one thing
    around that time.

i never saw the single in the store, or even the imports of the 7 or 12 inch either, otherwise i would have gotten them.
    they are quite expensive and rare now.

later

24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I remember it being in the rotation on MTV but it didn't squeeze out the hair bands on the radio iirc.

25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Loved, loved , LOVED this album back in the day and one the very best albums of the 80s by anyone. The 25th anniversary release passed me by, not sure how. Given the UK price, its worth it for the Atmos mix (although can only make use of the Dolby True HD 'core') and the promo videos. Lost count of how many times my friend and I would hire the Flicks VHS tape along with a film and just watch them through. Kick is also one the few albums my wife & I wholeheartedly agree on.