Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

lol... meanwhile he'll explain to us why the conflation of wages, income, and assets shouldn't be so tightly bundled as it was in those good old days by us old timers(80 cent loaves of bread,20 cent gas, 10 free 8 track tapes out of the tv guide, green stamps, dishes and Christmas albums from the gas station and bank... ) ... we have to come up with a term like whippersnappers instead of millennials and gen y'ers!

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ebersol did not prohibit political humor, but according to Gary Kroeger the political humor was deliberately "cartoony" rather than satirical or edgy during Ebersol's tenure.

kevywevy likes this.
  3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Perhaps his memory is faulty. He certainly doesn’t seem to recall performing in this sketch

Moot - Video Dailymotion

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Or perhaps he's talking in general about his entire tenure on the show, not just one non-representative episode. My recollection is that the Jesse Jackson episode was much more political, in a more pointed way, than was typical of the show.

5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Or, perhaps his memory is faulty regarding the political humor during his tenure.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If that's the case, you should be able to give us a long list of harder-edged political sketches that appeared during Kroeger's tenure (on episodes besides the Jesse Jackson one). Let's see it.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Well, that was about as good a cold open as we could've hoped for this week.

Zep Fan likes this.
  8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Awesome first sketch, and The Chosen One was pretty good too. I have a good feeling about this episode.

Matthew Tate and dlokazip like this.
  9. Pete Davidson's good tonight, inne?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Looks like this is gonna be the first Baldwin/Trump-free show of the season. Aside from the cold opening, no surprise cameos.

Paper Wizard and OldSoul like this.
  11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

This was a really solid episode. Not sure if it was truly better than last week, or the lack of awkward humor made it seem better, but I enjoyed it.

12. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I had high hopes for Gal Gadot, since she comes out as such a natural presence. And she didn't disappoint. The show was solid. My favourite bit was the "first date." Kenan Thompson was great in that one. A few of the sketches didn't seem to go anywhere - I guess they just had to try something with Wonder Woman... That sketch could have been replaced with a Pete Davidson one. Or maybe it was his. The new cast member Heidi Gardner was great as the teen in the Naomi Show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

We were eating breakfast this morning while watching last night’s episode and I almost choked on my pancake during the OJ sketch :laugh:

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I love Gal Godot but was disappointed. I know she's never done anything like this before but it reminded me of when they have a host who's not an actor or performer. Seemed like her cue card position was so far away from the person she was playing opposite from. Not sure what that's about but it made the delivery flat. Thought the writing was weak and uninspired too. Oh well.

anthontherun and rburly like this.
  15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

One thought I had was that Keenan is being heavily utilized now, which I usually enjoy. It was sort of a meh show overall for me. I also felt the writing suffered again. We'll see next week.

Matthew Tate and chacha like this.
  16. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

You said it perfectly...:)
    She could not have stared harder at those cue cards.

17. I've been a bit bored with the two episodes this season. Baldwin as Trump is getting a bit long in the tooth after all this time, Gosling's multiple 'crack-ups' in the premiere (and his very tedious monolog) were annoying and the sketches have only gotten a few chuckles out of me. I'll give it another week before I take it off the DVR schedule.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I thought for sure Baldwin would have done Harvey Weinstein this week. Lots of comedy potential there!

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The opening with Jason Aldean was a nice surprise. Much better than the actual music guest, but I'm just no fan of Sam Smith. The "first date" sketch was the best of the night. Very funny. I also liked the two guys in the desert hallucinating and the Safelite bit, though I doubt Safelite appreciated that.

Deesky, Dudley Morris and Saintbert like this.
  20. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Oh yeah, the Safelite one was good. Beck Bennett is so good at hinting at creepiness of various kinds. I recently watched a sketch called "Mr. Westerberg" on YouTube and thought the same vis-a-vis Hallmark.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not even a mention on WU was curious.

And I thought the new girl Heidi Gardner did well in the talk show sketch where Aidy Bryant was her mother.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree. I thought his band sounded great. He sang off pitch for most of the song which bugged me. Great idea though.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Gal was super engaging in the opening skit, but yeah, her so obviously reading cue cards in the later skits was distracting. She's an actor, why couldn't she have memorized the lines? OJ skit was the strongest, the rest pretty meh. Also hated the whiny singer.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I thought this episode was much better than last week

25. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I thought the Sam Smith song, "Pray", was surprisingly okay. He's a singer who commands your attention, for whatever that's worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.