Tim Buckley / Complete Album Collection: 8CD box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hulloder72, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

8 included and these 10 are missing:

Live at Folklore centre
    Lady give me your key
    Peel Sessions BBC recordings April 1968
    Dream Letter: live in London 1968
    Once I was: Live in 1968
    Live at the Troubadour 1969
    The Dream Belongs to Me
    Honeyman live 1973
    Sefronia
    Look at the Fool

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

THere's a box set of the live sets Dream Letter, Troubadour and Honeyman either already out or forthcoming , Amazon has it as the 25th of last month.

A lot of the rest of the 10 lps listed are later posthumous releases.

I can't see how they can call it Complete without the last 2 lps Sefronia & Look At The Fool so looks like title needed to be more specific. Though i think he was better live at that point anyway.

Would be good if more of the live sets were officially released if it meant that the sound was remastered.
    Also would be great to get all of the 1970 live on tv stuff in one place remastered.

HenryFly and Hep Alien like this.
  3. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Crimson Witch and HenryFly like this.
  4. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

All I can think of is that Herb Cohen and Gail Zappa made no sense.

John DeAngelis likes this.
  5. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Straight records still in those hands? Surprised if they still had a say!

6. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

A slight tangent, but definitely related:

Tim Buckley: officially issued non-album originals songs by Tim Buckley, except *Larry Beckett/Tim Buckley

November 8, 1965 [studio]: *Put You Down 2:25 Let Me Love You 2:26 I've Played That Game Before 2:46 *Here I Am 2:49 *Call Me If You Do 2:46 *You Today 2:45 No More 2:46 Won't You Please Be My Woman 2:36 *Come On Over 2:11
    summer 1966 [studio]: My Love is for You 2:03 *Long Tide 1:42
    March 6, 1967 [live]: Just Please Leave Me 2:28 Troubadour 4:30 What Do You Do (He Never Saw You) 2:51 Cripples Cry 5:07 If the Rain Comes 2:50 Country Boy 4:04 I Can't Leave You Loving Me 2:26
    March 1967 [studio]: Once Upon a Time 2:19 Lady, Give Me Your Key 2:37
    early-mid 1967 [studio]: *Sixface 2:51 *Contact 1:51 Marigold 2:23 I Can't Leave You Loving Me 2:05 She’s Back Again 2:53
    July 1968 [studio]: The Father Song 2:44 The Fiddler 3:26
    October 7, 1968 [live]: I've Been Out Walking 8:18 The Earth is Broken 6:59 Who Do You Love 9:27 You Got Me Runnin' 13:08 [medley with Wayfaring Stranger (Traditional)]
    October 12, 1968 [live]: I Don't Need It to Rain 12:14
    September 3-4, 1969 [live]: Venice Mating Call 3:27 (I Wanna) Testify 9:07
    February 12, 1973 [studio]: The Dream Belongs to Me 4:56 Falling Timber 4:44

Corrections welcome, as always :wave:

RockRoom, HenryFly and crozcat like this.
  7. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Fantastic work. But you're missing the best of the whole lot, by restricting it to officially released rarities. The unique recorded performance of 'Venice Beach' from the 'Boboquivari' TV broadcast in 1970. It's the greatest thing by Tim on YouTube and it's also on a bootleg, I believe. The song is not to be confused with the instrumental 'Venice Mating Call' which is at the other end of the enjoyment spectrum for me.

trebori and Hep Alien like this.
  8. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Less than £3 per album. Not bad if you don't have anything by him.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I bought the OAS in the death throws of Sainsbury's online store, so it only cost me £3.99. Of course, I only wanted Blue Afternoon.

Theadmans likes this.
  11. sammy davis junior

I think even if you do have them, these are remastered so there is a very high chance they'll improve on the old cds. I said earlier in this thread I used to have the rhino compilation they put out a couple of years ago, which had been remastered, and all the tracks sounded a lot better than the Original Album Series & other versions I had - so I'm predicting these should be in a similar vein. Also Starsailor costs more than the price by itself on cd, second hand, so there's that as well.

crozcat likes this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I'd agree that this set is mis-titled, as TB was associated with Warner throughout his career and the last two albums are missing.

It is a disgrace that Starsailor is not available to buy as a standalone CD, considering its status as a groundbreaking album.

I got the Blue Afternoon CD in the last 90s and passed up the chance to sell it for big bucks.

I blame the state of Herb Cohen's estate for the Starsailor issues, as well as the inaccessibility of the Yester/Henske Farewell Aldebaran master-tapes.

HenryFly likes this.
  13. sammy davis junior

That is true. The fact that the other two are just about to (or have - i'm not sure?) come out on edsel it might have something to do with licensing which prevented them being included. I think I'd still rather this set come out now without Sefronia and Look At The Fool than have to wait for those sorts of issues to be sorted, especially as it's not an expensive set. I suppose a problem might arise whereby this set or the edsel cds are mastered far better than the other one, then I might be thinking - I wish one label or the other had done them all, but I'll wait and see what happens.

HenryFly and Hep Alien like this.
  14. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Referring just to what Discogs tell us about the 1970 releases of Straight records, my jaw dropped when I realised what Zappa & Herb Cohen gave us that year. 'Farewell Aldebaran' is only the fifth best album.
    Both Beefheart and both Buckley albums top the list. Starsailor at the very top.

Siegmund likes this.
  15. Here’s hoping that these are proper mini-LP sleeves, with gatefold replicas for Blue Afternoon, Goodbye and Hello and Greetings from LA. Replica black Straight inner sleeves would be nice too, although I’m probably expecting too much here.

16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Well we should know tomorrow, but at the price point I am expecting single card sleeves.

17. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I'm very happy it hasn't been processed into a package to appeal to the vaguely curious. Cult status does wonders for the kudos of us acolytes, even if we're only sad, 50+ fans who would probably buy almost any reissue at a ridiculous price if it ever came to it!

Oyster Boy likes this.
  18. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I am hoping they come out with a vinyl box set of his complete studio works and a release of live. I already have all of his CD’s so pass on this.
    Great for a fan that has only 1 or 2 of his albums.

HenryFly likes this.
  19. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Just doing a quick Discogs calculation of what I'd really get if I traded my 83 WB Italy cassette and 89 Rhino CD of Starsailor, €50. I'm mad enough that I would pay that for a reissue with the 1970 TV show recordings thrown in for example.

20. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Anybody know if this will get hi-res / vinyl release?

21. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Wow, exciting times for a Tim Buckley fan tomorrow with 3 releases on the same day.

The new LA Troubadour Greetings From West Hollywood sounds very different from the previously released Troubadour concert (mix wise- that is).

Hep Alien and RockRoom like this.
  22. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

That might not be an improvement. I never had any issues with that release at all.

23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Same here I always thought it sounded very fresh and clear. The new set is lesser so but it’s nice it’s going to be out there so folks can choose.

24. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I didn't want to rain on the parade of the broader fan base. There's no such thing as too many Buckley options; Warner Brothers have served up quality 'Elektra'-era material and now we can gorge on the weird and wonderful rest.

25. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

We have 15 discs of Buckley over four releases this late summer/ autumn:

Let's look at this one first.

Does anyone have it yet?

1) Buzzin' Fly – Live Anthology 1968–1973
    Edsel CD • Date: 25/08/2017
    Cat#: EDSL0005 • 4 disc re-release of a Demon and 2 Rhino releases
    No idea about remixing etc.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status: