Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, cast and host are supposed to read off the cue cards at all times, it's how Lorne wants the show to run. Aidy Bryant talked about it in an interview that I'll try and find.

kevywevy likes this.
  2. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I watched the OJ bit again and Ms. Gadot actually does a fine job in that (it's just that Mr. Thompson steals the show). She doesn't seem as invested in some of the other ones. Maybe it's due to lack of practice time or whatever. But everyone reads from the cue cards in that show. The regular cast is often no better at hiding it. It's just how the show is run. To me it's worth it if the writing is good, but I really wouldn't blame her for ruining a good sketch... There was a lot of fluff.

(EDIT: For what it's worth, I misread your saying "the opening skit" as "the opening monologue" so basically I ended up saying a lot of what you just said!)

3. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

By the way, Safelite AutoGlass can take a joke (is what they say):

"@nbcsnl thanks for the skit. Although we can take a joke, this one was a step too far. Our techs are our heroes. #notcool" (Twitter )

It's weird though that they have exactly the same guy from the sketch pictured on their Twitter header.

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Wow, I assumed that skit was part of SNL's branded content deal to lower commercial breaks, even though it was a bit extreme to believe it was okay. Safelite is being really over the top about it, though.

5. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Lorne Michaels said they had a Weinstein piece written for WU, but pulled it.

Lorene's explanation was that "It's a New York thing..."

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

So what does that mean? New Yorkers are off-limits to SNL? There's more to it. If not, lame.

goodiesguy, Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

"The person familiar with Saturday's episode said that Mr. Michaels, in referring to 'a New York thing' and Mr. Weinstein, had meant that the events surrounding Mr. Weinstein seemed at the time like a New York media story with which a national television audience might not be familiar."

‘S.N.L.’ Prepped Jokes About Harvey Weinstein, Then Shelved Them

8. OldSoul

Doesn't hold either considering all the niche TV they spoof.

Zep Fan, Matthew Tate and rburly like this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That's rather fantastic. Ironic too, in light of Pete Davidson's (funny, but yeah...) reference to his rap pieces.

OldSoul likes this.
  11. OldSoul

I didn't even know Kyle and Beck still really made shorts. No Cut for Time sketches were put up for most of last season, so I wonder if they were all just cut. There wasn't a Kyle and Beck short at least when I saw the dress for Aziz Ansari's episode.

12. Translated: "Harvey is a pal and I don't want to pile on." Remember what happened to Norm Macdonald after he mocked OJ Simpson too much for NBC exec and OJ pal Don Ohlmeyer's taste.

goodiesguy likes this.
  13. Marry a Carrot

Are they pals? It seems plausible enough that Lorne Michaels and Harvey Weinstein would run in the same circles and be friendly, but I haven't seen anything to confirm that.

14. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I took the "New York thing" to mean, "Fuhged about it." I don't think it holds water that Harvey Weinstein doesn't have the kind of name recognition to warrant a joke. By the coming weekend, he certainly will. Are there any good jokes in it, though, I don't know.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not everything SNL does it a joke, particularly during Weekend Update. Sometimes its just Jost or Che' calling someone out, and Harvey (or all the silent ones) surely deserve that. But they could definitely take the joke approach as well. They could get Walken back for a Harvey Weinstein themed "The Continental". It doesn't even have to be Walken, though it would be great if he would do it. I posted about this earlier and I think it was collateral damage in some thread cleanup by the Gorts, but I thought one of those old TV Funhouse style cartoons would be really funny. Take some of the plentiful audio from Oscar acceptance speeches where people are praising and thanking Harvey Weinstein, and design a cartoon around it with Harvey doing various awful things to women backstage at the same time.

Saintbert and Billy Infinity like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And so how ironic is it, there's an OJ sketch in the episode where Lorne yanked the one about Weinstein. :laugh:

(Also, "New York Media" story almost carries some weight, I've seen so many pieces where I've wondered if anybody in Peoria gives a flip about this or that. Still, if they could have waited just a few more days, it would be ripe, because it was all over the tubes by Monday)

OldSoul likes this.
  17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Considering the anti-male slant that is present in every episode, I'm sure they could find something. Problem is, the story strays from the nice, neat little narrative that they favor. Sometimes they show themselves capable of satirizing themselves but not often. They might not be able to write the joke, but I certainly see it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I think we’ll be ok.

anthontherun and OldSoul like this.
  19. I don't know how pals-y they were, but it has face validity; certainly the rationale Michaels gave doesn't scan given some of the inside stuff they're run with before.

20. PlushFieldHarpy

Will we? Identity groups are not monolithic, all the same, despite the current attitudes. We get into some very familiar troubles by thinking that is so.

goodiesguy likes this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Are you sure? First there was The View, now this!

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. PlushFieldHarpy

Or did you mean we'll be okay as long as "our guy" Lorne is still in charge?

23. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The "Potted Plant" angle should be easy enough to work with. If they just leave to WU, then I think they would be cheating us.

agentalbert likes this.
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I missed the first episode (Gosling hosting) and for some reason its never been put up in the On Demand section with my cable provider, Spectrum, though episode 2 was up the day after it aired. Is there any reason the first one wouldn't be? Does Jay-Z require a Tidal subscription or something?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

The whole Harvey Weinstein business feels to me like too sore a subject to joke about. Then I remind myself that one of my favourite SNL sketches was Family Feud with the Osmonds and the Phillips family (look it up, 2009, with Ryan Reynolds, Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig). I am not above it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.