Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Pop is a much wider genre. In fact, heavy metal is one of the many sub-genres that derive from the huge "pop music" label. But, since I've just remembered I love L7's Hungry For Stink, I will keep you satisfied with a final statement: Generally, I have no interest in heavy metal.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  2. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

BTW, whether it's a guileless exhibition of tone deafness or the intentional perpetuation of an SHF "Who's On First" routine, the net result is equally amusing. 'It's gold, Jerry, gold!"/K

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

George Harrison - Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth).

4. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Geffen Vinyl - GHS 24160, picked up for 4 bucks.

I remember when this came out...KLBJ in Austin gave it quite a bit of time. I loved the songs and bought the CD a few years later (91) at Waterloo. Having never heard the CD through-I was amazed. It's very good in it's entirety. I need to look into more of his solo stuff.

[​IMG]

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

So, I've really been digging into TP & The Heartbreakers last two, Mojo and Hypnotic Eye. I think they're really similar even though they were released four years apart, anyway. I was always a Mojo fan. Mojo is not really a typical Heartbreakers album. To me, it's a groove experiment. I think it's wrong to call it their blues album. There is blues on it, but there are also a lot of other styles, and just as much of those as blues. Obviously they decided to make a record that sounds like the music that inspired them. I think the production is good too. You can hear everyone and everything.

As far as production values, I think Hypnotic Eye continues in the Mojo vein. But, I think HE is more focused and more of a typical Heartbreakers album. Compared to Mojo, you could almost call it a return to form. Not that Mojo is sloppy, but it is definitely a kitchen sink record and I'm sure that was the intent.

Anyway, their two last albums were really good. If you're a fan or a sorta fan, listen to each at least two times. They're both growers, at least they were for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Erik B., Crispy Rob, adamos and 3 others like this.
  6. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

heavy metal

[​IMG]

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob, Rne and 3 others like this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Because it is funnier that way? ;)

At least it gets some kind of reaction going.

P.S. Why do you always assume that I'm including you? :D

footlooseman and bzfgt like this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

Very offending post ;)

But that would mean that rock is a decendant of pop rather than country and blues, wouldn't it? Because surely 'heavy metal' comes from some sort of unholy combination of blues, early rock and classical music. But then again, metal is more than Whitesnake and Mötley Crüe.

P.S. A little fun never hurt anyone :D

9. BurtThomasWard

Molten gold, I'd say ;)

Sarcasm and irony are both perfect ways to ensure a little fun in life.

P.S. The best jokes are the ones you only share with yourself - Konfusionus :D

footlooseman likes this.
  10. BurtThomasWard

At least according to the Grammy Institute ;)

I always trusted those guys and I'm sad that they are of a dying breed.

P.S. The Tull were almost 'metal' on those first few albums. Riff-heavy and baroque :D

footlooseman likes this.
  11. BurtThomasWard

On the other hand, it is a very beautiful morn ;)

The first frost is on the ground but the sun is shining.

Probably should have put on a little light Black Metal to prepare for the onslaught of winter :D

[​IMG]

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I listened to them both yesterday. Love it. I remember that I wasn't to excited with Mojo when it came but it has since grown on me aaaa lot!

Today it is both Mudcrutch's records plus the live EP. Counting Willbury and Petty's solo work, he'd put in a stellar studio discography. Certainly miles better than Springsteen's although I probably hold BS &ESB live a notch higher than TP&THB

13. BurtThomasWard

48 years old today. My least favorite KC album ;)

Love "20th Century Schizoid Man", tho. Then again you knew I did.

For obvious reasons :D

[​IMG]

14. BurtThomasWard

Well, this still goes as the gospel truth, but then again I like to see myself as somewhat open to new musical impulses;)

In addition I have no problem with admitting that from time to time I may have been a tad hastily in my conclusions. Only owned this album in one form or another for 25 years...

Even if I'm not too hot on the flutes and mellow mellotron touches, today something just clicked and now I'm actually playing and enjoying it for the second time in a row. I blame Miles Davis :D

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  15. BurtThomasWard

But this still is much more to my liking, I have to admit that.

[​IMG]

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

For me, there are two basic categories: classical music and popular music, and then their "infinite" derivations.

Oh, and Black Metal can go to hell (where else could it go, anyway?) :D

17. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

In Solitude - Sister.

Young, Swedish and sadly gone. Like some unholy mixture of Bauhaus and Mercyful Fate with early '80's U2, Berlin-era Bowie and a few folky touches trown in for good measure (!). Goth and metal without really being either.

Their third and final record. Really sad to see a band (or artist) that still had something to give just vanish into the void.

notesofachord likes this.
  18. BurtThomasWard

Ah, then I understand and at least partially agree. The old master were pretty much the pop stars of their time. Something we never could accuse someone like Bartók of being :D I usually just call everything music, since I find genres both diffuse and confining, but it is so much easier to use them when you are discussing/argueing on the net.

And black metal is from Hell. My spiritual hometown ;)

Hell, Norway - Wikipedia

notesofachord likes this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Jokes aside, I do agree on this. That's why, to made my point clearer yesterday, I said that I was not interested in "heavy metal", even though genres are sometimes diffuse. Conventional categories help us to communicate a bit more effectively, but art doesn't give a hoot about boundaries, actually.

And now, listening to some live Steely Dan. Some people says this is somewhat sterile, but I think it's a good album. I think the mix lacks some low frequencies, though.

[​IMG]

20. BurtThomasWard

Exactly. We do agree for the most part, but then again I think we both knew that from the start. My reason for asking/pressing the issue is that I do like to know what people mean when they claim something I do not understand or agree with. Clearification leads to deeper understanding and that is a major part of communication.

And I'd always respect your right to think differently than me on this or any subject, I just like to ruffle a few feathers from time to time. But no ill intent. Heavy metal still roolz, tho ;)

As for the live album, I think it is a pretty good document of the 'grown up' Dan. Sadly there is no releases from their '70's heyday, but quite a few gigs can be found 'out there'.

This one is pretty swell as well, Denny Dias' playing is as colourful as his shirt:

21. BurtThomasWard

Here is another good 'un. Just avert yer eyes from the Cosby intro and you should be good to go. Skunk Baxter is on FAIA here:

budwhite and Rne like this.
  22. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Because you said "Nobody"?

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    When this was announced I thought it was absurd and that the last thing I needed was a Paranoid quad mix in stereo, but it ended being a great alternate mix actually.

25. BurtThomasWard

Never saw you as a 'nobody', Sir.

bzfgt likes this.