Am I the only one bored with late night talk shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

With all due respect, I'd say it's one thing to discuss the merits of one talk show host compared to another.
    I'm not sure what inciting violence against another human being has to do with his or her capabilities as a television personality or how the format of the program.

Let's try and keep the discussion civil and on topic…pretty please?

OldSoul and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

You know, the recent high-profile sex offense accusations against a certain Hollywood mogul ought to get some topical laughs on the late night shows. Let's all tune in and see...

3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Weinstein’s situation should provide quite a bit of material for a week or so. I know everyone pilled on the Clinton Cigar thing.

Lightworker likes this.
  4. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I never liked them.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Don't worry. If/when it's officially OK to mock him without repercussions, they'll dogpile on him. Until then, it'll be status quo. They need guests and can't afford to alienate groups of people.

6. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

They might address it, but I it would be tempered. It touches too close to the hypocrisy behind the moral outrage that's become the norm, and which the late night hosts are big propagators.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Not a fan of James Corden at all.

groundharp likes this.
  8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Then again, MOST people do not know who Weinstein is. Pretty much every 5 year old knows who the President of the United states is. Plus, even young people know who OJ simpson is

forthlin likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Don't look now but Kimmel did a Weinstein joke. And Colbert. And Meyers.

As predicted, now they've deemed it's OK so they'll dogpile.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    goodiesguy and OldSoul like this.
  10. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

They're just going to plug it into their general message, rather than go at it with any sort of teeth, as with a certain vocal actress's condemnation yesterday, despite being closely affiliated with Weinstein. I think the whole thing is going to disappear pretty quick.

11. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

When Michaels commented "It's a New York thing" I thought he was implying that Weinstein isn't widely known outside of showbiz circles and NYC. Therefore a segment based around the scandal might be lost on a large portion of the audience. :shrug:

12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

And Fallon: "If he keeps this up, he'll end up with a job on Fox News."

Sorry for the loss of your talking point, fellas. Better luck next time.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Sadly they all seem to have the same political leanings, and not so sure they find their comments funny, but more hateful.

MarkTheShark and bru87tr like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Kind of proves it more than anything else. This has been available info for 5 days. Typically, these shows latch onto late-breaking news to stay current.

Only once fellow actresses and members of his own company, his lawyer, and other people in and out of the entertainment industry started retracting their support and confirmed his actions weren't out of the ordinary did late-night show hosts start with the jokes.

Once more, I can't blame them for acting this way as their existence is tied to a business and they can't afford to make large groups of people mad and consequently boycott their show. It's just how things go.

15. Strat-Mangler

If it does, it's due to lack of name recognition more than anything... hence why from time to time, they'll still pull a Cosby joke in regards to such behavior. Everybody knows who he is. Not so with Weinstein.

16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

They are basically 60- to 90- minute "infomercial" clusters for upcoming books, movies, albums, etc.

Haven't watched anything but the opening monologues for about 30 years, and not even those for the last ten or so.

17. It wouldn't be worth a skit but it could've made for a good joke on Weekend Update, certainly. Enough people would've got it, or would've at least understood the trope of the lecherous movie producer.

forthlin likes this.
  18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

But certainly SNL viewers are generally well-read and keep up with the news, no?

Open with Baldwin as Weinstein in the shower, talking a blue streak about all sorts of things - films, sex, actresses, politics, multimillion dollar deals, etc, while he showers. Includes funny comments about various Miramax/Weinstein films. As he steps out of the shower, the camera pans and we see all the female cast members are sitting there watching, some bored, some excited, some horrified. The camera pans through the crowd of actresses, to a happy-looking Kenan Thompson - until he spots the camera, then he looks around nervously. The actresses file out one by one, leaving only Baldwin and Kenan, who smiles sheepishly as he holds up a houseplant. :)

19. :laugh: Not bad! Maybe you should apply at 30 Rock, this is better than a lot of what the current writers are getting on the air. :)

goodiesguy, Billy Infinity and Culpa like this.
  20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Hollywood protects hollywood .. this why things like this happens..
    this has been the norm since the 20's

g.z. and PhantomStranger like this.
  21. Django

Django Forum Resident

One thing I think Irish chat shows do well...and its kind of unique, is as well as having the usual celebrities guests on, they also have a mix of "regular people" non celebrities guests with interesting stories about things they've gone through in life. You just don't see that on Graham Norton ( he's Irish, I know) or Jonathan Ross ect...those shows, good and all as they can be are just celebrity love in's.

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ive been youtube marathoning old lettermans from 1982-85. y'all can have the new guys :tiphat:

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Although each of the hosts try to exeert their own individuality, it's important to remember, there are produceers and writers and showrunners and directors who really make the shows that these faces-in-suits can use to ply their yuks. There are a lot of decisions, calaulations and monday-morning-quarterbacking involved, because bottom line, these shows need to reach the audiences their sponsors want, but in quantities so large they can command top dollar FROM these sponsors. That's a tough dance for anybody. Politics humor polarizes, so there's an immense risk is doing it just for the sake of pimping your own viewpoint. There's gotta be an overall benefit...otherwise, the suits start hovering...

24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Loved Letterman all the way. His bite the hand that feeds. And wandering way. Loved his show. Leno was funny but less biting. I'm more of a Letterman guy. Carson was the best at interviewing to me, just the king. Conan i remember his first show. His kind of amature charm i loved. And his off the cuff man on the street stuff is classic, like Letterman. But now i like him less than before. James Gordon i really don't like. Can't say why, probably age. Fallon is talented and funny but like all current shows i care less about the guests so i change the channel. Kimmell i never liked until the last couple of years. He was too insincere to me. Not genuine. But, now he has found his grove and seems like he wants to be there. With his political stuff he has really found his pocket which surprises me he seemed before to just want to go home and have a beer rather than be there.

I watch the Decades channel a lot, only an antenna no streaming or cable, and they run old Dick Cavett shows. He'll have Hitchcock and Gloria Swanson and Rose Kennedy, love watching Dick Cavett.

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Too bad one of the networks doesn't bring back a show like Cavett's. Production would be far less expensive than the typical sitcom, and if it found an audience it would serve an open minded audience partisan cable channels can't (or won't) try to reach. I'm sure there's a few people left who are willing to listen to an intelligent conversation.

g.z. and Strat-Mangler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.