David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I'm having trouble parsing this. What does it mean to "maintain the integrity of the issue"?

Tim

2. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

+1. With a corrected Heroes there are no real problems with the box. Some questionable mastering choices seemingly based on TV:s own vision of how the music should have sounded when it was originally released, but because of/in spite of that a pretty interesting listen. That's not to say I wouldn't have preferred the same approach as with the previous boxes, only that I will be ok with this one when the only real error has been fixed. Good thing I bought it as a download and from a site that allows multiple downloads of a purchased album. Hope the replacement file will be ready soon.

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

It means 'we did our best to ignore the fault, ignore the criticism, and ignore the retailers baying for our blood because lets face it, replacements don't buy yacht's and now have caved in to the pressure'.
    I am happy they have decided to fix this but it changes nothing in terms of them lying to us all.

OldSoul, oldturkey, Wilco and 3 others like this.
  4. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Dear Parlophone, while your at it can you fix Space Oddity and Hunky Dory as well please?

5. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

I think we should all be quite vocal about asking them to fix the compression/peak limiting on the new remaster too - it's a chance for them to actually do it right now. The "glitch version" will still be there for people to listen to if they want it cranked up and compressed, but it will also be a chance to get a more natural sounding version out to the public too.

6. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

With all the brickwalled CDs manifactured every year, what makes you think that they actually care? For record companies, that is not a mistake.

7. sammy davis junior

There is every chance they won't care, but people said the same thing about them fixing the heroes error and the complaints were loud enough for them to fix it.

They certainly aren't going to do it without being pushed, though.

NorthNY Mark and Wilco like this.
  8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sorry but it'll never happen. Think of the cost of starting from scratch. Think of the energy. It'd take an indie audiophile company to get it right on an album by album basis (as discussed above). But I reckon the licence cost might be prohibitive.

All we can hope is that a few people at Parolophone get red-faces.

But I really wonder how many will not buy this box, because my guess is that a mere 1% of buyers are audiophiliacs.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Phillip Walch likes this.
  9. Phillip Walch

A loss of energy?

10. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

and African night flight

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Because, in fact, it's not a mistake, but an aesthetical decision (which I not share, by the way).

mr.datsun and Arliss Renwick like this.
  12. sammy davis junior

Is there a need to start from scratch? It's all digital, you just master it again without the final stages of compression & peak limiting. They will have to roll back what they've done for 1 track. If I was in charge I'd be making sure every processing stage had a backup to reverse the next stage if need be. That's what I would do, although I am not a mastering engineer, but what I just said would make sense for working with digital processess.

13. pathosdrama

A volume drop, or whatever is that glitch on Heroes, is an obvious mistake and Parlophone was ridiculous enough to defend it in first place. They should have issued the replacements without any fuss, like Rhino did during the New Order remastering campaign, years ago.

At this point, brickwalled mastering is a standard practice, this message board has been one enormous complaint about it since day one. Do they ever cared? It doesn't seem to me. Protesting for that isn't going to fix anything.

Also, not many people own real listening gear now, you can't really hear any sound problem over a mono Sonos speaker, or a 200$ stereo bluetooth set. There is no real demographics for sound quality, as of now. I don't want to sound cynical, just looking at reality.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They should put it on Recall 4 :laugh:

15. pathosdrama

A long post from the guy who oversaw the Ryko remaster campaign.

snipe, Arliss Renwick and WeeSam like this.
  16. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I think they mean to try and only use the main master source, going by a prior statement when they said they didnt want to drop in a fix from another source.

ejluther likes this.
  17. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

18. sammy davis junior

I could very well be wrong, but I feel it was only through people from here going onto amazon and writing poor reviews that got the ball rolling on this in the first place, if we'd just kept our thoughts here and not gone onto amazon & the sde site then the record label would probably have done nothing. Complaining about brickwalling etc... does exist outside this site, but not to anywhere near the extent it does here, and so you can't take the comments here as being read and understood by the record labels - it might be, and they have ignored you, but there is also a chance that it's gone totally unnoticed by them & only sites like amazon, with their reviews will make them sit up and take notice.
    It's all speculation, of course.

19. Phillip Walch

Would it not be on Re:Call 6?

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Probably! Or as a picture disc single for RSD 2022 - 'Heroes - energy boost version' - limited to 10,000 copies.

21. Phillip Walch

:goodie: and a b-side etching of Tony stood up against the Wall kissing his GF

oldturkey and Jim B. like this.
  22. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I just listened to the 24/192 files and, while they went a little nuts with the compression, I'm not seeing any clipped waveforms (although I've only examined a handful of tracks, mostly from Low and Heroes). On the CDs there's clipping galore, so this surprised me. I also found that I liked the remastering on Low (not so much on Heroes).

As many other people found, the volume drop on Heroes (and it is a drop in volume no matter what lingo Parlophone chooses to use to describe it) sounds like someone walked to the stereo and turned down the volume knob twice. It drops a little bit and then drops further.

23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Yeah, WEA/Parlo/Rhino/Staff/Visconti are all new to this crazy kids' music fad. :sigh:

24. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

The newly found girlfriend, while he was still married to Mary Hopkin. Oops. Love, exciting and new.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  25. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident