Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

So my Technics SL-M3 has risen from the dead, so I am not pulling the trigger on the 1200G just yet, but as you will find out when they reply to you - I certainly could have!!!! :) Unless things have changed in about 1 weeks time...ya never know.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Cool, thanks!!!

johnny q likes this.
  3. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Outstanding! I'm on the list for one scheduled to arrive at the end of the month, looking forward to getting it. I've been using my current table since 1984-85 and I need another that will take care of me for the next ## of years.

johnny q, Robert C and recstar24 like this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Which model?

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You need to listen to some expensive TTs. Whatever quality a pressing, improvements in arm cartridge and deck design improve sound and if done right will actually make pressing flaws less intrusive. I don't know if minor mods to an SL12oo make night and day improvements but the new designs should as they actually have little in common with mark II to VI. Apart from some really badly mastered or seriously flawed LPs each improvement I have made to analogue front ends over the years has resulted in better SQ and a more enjoyable listening experience. So better decks are not 'too good' for well cared for old pressings in general.

recstar24 and FashionBoy like this.
  6. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

The 1200GR

recstar24, johnny q and Robert C like this.
  7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Are the GAE and G lids the same in color? Can you tell if the lid is black or blue tinted? GR is not tinted, but transparent, as I can see.

8. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Today, I put a down payment on an SL-1200 G. I'll find out tomorrow how long of a wait I have before my unit arrives.

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Anyone?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  10. Rix__MIX

Rix__MIX Member

Managed to get a very lucky deal on a mint used 1210GR, saved £500 on the retail. It was an anxious wait for the delivery, but it's all worked out. What a beauty.

I've set it up now and it's such an upgrade over my Project Carbon Esprit SB in ever way, with the same 2M Bronze cartridge. Rumble and motor noise are so much reduced and music sounds more precise! Quickly discovered that my Project was running way too fast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

punkmusick, HiFi Guy, nosliw and 24 others like this.
  11. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Has anyone who owns the 1200G or 1200GR experimented with changing the color of the strobe LED? It would be so nice to get it a nice dark red/orange, like the original.

12. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Not what you are asking but I keep my strobe off with KAB's strobe cancellation circuit. The Mk2 1200 apparently had detectable noise from the strobe. I don't hear a difference but I like not having the light on nonetheless.

13. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I haven’t, but I like the Blue personally. It also matches the blue LED for the pitch control. I suspect it might be different than a MKII, but I’d start by asking Kevin at KAB if he thinks it can be done.

14. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

The black 1210 is very nice looking, but I didn't want to wait to see if they would finally head to the US. As far as the blue lighting, it matches my other components more than the red so obliviously I'm fine with it. Mine is sounding great with the Ortofon 2M Bronze!

[​IMG]

15. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

That 1210 looks gorgeous! I was told we wouldn't see them Stateside but maybe one day who knows...

The Ortofon 2M line is nicely suited to this deck. Really happy with the Bronze and Mono.

MadCajun likes this.
  16. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I really like that dust-cover. It is much nicer and "classier" looking than my original Mk2's cover.

17. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

AFAIK the 1200GA/GR dust cover is actually the only part that was carried from the original SL-1200 and it looks identical to the one on my M5G. How is it different from the one you have?

Robert C likes this.
  18. arem

arem Forum Resident

It looks clear in those pics where the cover on my 1210 MII is smoked, otherwise it looks the same. I guess its a matter of whether you prefer the clear or smoked look, I don't have a preference, it ends up on the floor in the end either way.:)

19. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

On closer examination the only difference might be that mine is smoky and not clear. My Mk2 is is from 2007.

20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I really like having a DC. I think it keeps thinks a lot cleaner. I can't tell a difference up or down (never had it off) and when I'm concerned, I have a large "bean-bag" that I put in the middle to break up any vibration. I know the DC thing can be big debate and I'm not trying to get that started here! :)

21. Claude Benshaul

I keep mine on. The cat likes to take naps there.

22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Well, Technics obviously thinks smokey/tinted lid is classier, as they made one for the GAE/G. I'm with them. However, would like to see red lights instead of blue.

23. arem

arem Forum Resident

It's funny, I'd rather have blue lights after looking at the red on my deck for the last 20 years. The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it?

24. Claude Benshaul

The M5G already had a blue cuing light, so now they color matched it to the strobe. That's good. Color matching.

25. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

My Mk2 cue light is white, all the others are red. Only lights I keep on are the speed and pitch. Personally, I like the blue with the silver top and the red with the black top.

Robert C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.