Schiit Jil analog / digital converter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wownflutter, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've had a Schiit Jil for about three weeks, and I'm using it with Vinyl Studio on my MacBook Pro. I've done three rips at 24/96, and they sound great. For $199, it's a great product.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Would love to see comparison tests to similarly priced devices, e.g. Scarlet, phono preamps with USB output, etc.

Robert C, c-eling and Kyhl like this.
  3. wgallupe

wgallupe Forum Resident

Anybody know what the Jil's input impedance is?

4. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

It doesn't say in the owners manual, or on the website. I just sent them an email.

wgallupe likes this.
  5. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member Thread Starter

I don't know much about Mac Books, but it looks like each time that I change bitrate, I will have to change settings in Windows recording options. Not a problem. I'll just set it and forget it.

6. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I decided it is just better to capture at 24/192 then master at 24/96. So not a biggie.

7. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I’ve had the Schiit Jil about a week now, and I’m still on the fence. I’m not sure I hear much difference at all from using my MBP’s internal A/D converter. I can run an RCA to mini jack cord from my preamp into my MBP’s microphone input. The sound isnt much different at all. In fact, the high hat on the song “I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You” from my UHQR of Alan Parson I Robot sounds almost crystallized on the Schiit, but it’s more refined through the MBP. I’m doing some more test recordings, but it looks like this one might be going back.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That doesn't sound too promising...

SoundDoctor likes this.
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Could you post samples?

patient_ot and dmckean like this.
  10. Alan Ramsey

Alan Ramsey Active Member

Hello, first post here! I purchased the Schiit Jil a few days ago, even after reading the comments about sound quality versus the Macbook Pro. I have a '11 MBP w/ mic in, and I plan on doing a test to see how they both stack up. If someone could enlighten me on how to post samples on the forums, (I'll also do some looking in the meantime) I'd love to help out anyone who may be on the fence. After receiving it in the mail a couple days ago, I couldn't tell a noticeable difference between the Mac and Jil, but I'd like to post samples to see if it's just me.

Alan

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What DAC are you using the play back the files?

Hearing a difference between AD converters is like hearing the difference between DACs. If the converters are good and competent then the measured differences should be subtle. But in subjective listening those subtle differences can make all the difference. It's easier to hear differences in AD converters if you're using a good DAC and good upstream playback gear.

12. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Don’t trust those measurements. The Modi has been measured a bunch of times on Head-Fi, Changestar, and SBAF (the latter of which responded directly to the measurements quoted above), and it’s always measured well. Moreover, Schiit’s higher-end DACs, like the Yggdrasil, have been measured by Stereophile. Schiit makes great stuff.

Here’s the SBAF response to the Audio Science Review measurements: Measurements Are Hard

scotth and 33na3rd like this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Anyone compare the Jil with products such as the Focusrite Scarlet line or something like the Audient iD14?

c-eling likes this.
  14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Why? :)

15. Alan Ramsey

A week or two before the Jil, I also purchased the original Schiit Magni and Modi off of eBay and have been using that. I'm not very far along in my quest for high quality audio, but thought that three-piece would be a good start.

That's also why I wanted to post samples, just to see if others could tell much difference on a better setup.

16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Do you have the original Modi DAC that was USB only and limited to 24/96 maximum? And the original Magni amp?

If so, I've actually got both of those. If you posted samples of your needledrops taken with the Jil and the Mackbook I could listen to the samples with both the Magni/Modi combo and with my Gungnir Multibit and Cavalli amp combo.

Even if you don't hear differences between the Jil and the Macbook AD conversion, it is still very worthwhile to do your needledrops using equipment that sounds better. Because sometime in the future you'll have better gear that will reveal those differences. Future you will be thankful that past you used the better sounding AD converter (I have many audio regrets that I wish I could pass on to past me).

I don't own a Jil, and haven't listened to any needledrops done with the Jil. So this all will be new to me. I have no experience with how good or bad it is as an AD converter.

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Transparency with no flavor is pretty much all I want in a AD converter. I've been happy with the 2i2 in this regard so I've been on the fence with the Jil. If it does transparency well I'm thinking for me it would be a sideways move.

Stone Turntable and patient_ot like this.
  18. sdonline

sdonline Active Member

I look forward to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for my vinyl ripping in near future. My Sansui vintage integrated stereo amp is having an inbuilt decent Phono Out and I have Schiit Mani Phono Preamp as an external Phono Preamp.

Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done head to head comparison of 2i2 vs JIL? Or any other ADC equipment belonging to the same price range, which outperforms both of these?

Thanks!

19. sdonline

sdonline Active Member

Didn't knew about Audient audio interface. Thanks! Is the smaller one Audient iD4's recording quality is same for vinyl ripping? Like I assume Scarlett 2i2 and 2i4 would be same as far as vinyl ripping is concerned.

20. Alan Ramsey

Hello,

I didn't get any notifications from this page, so I didn't bother coming back until now. I tried posting samples, but maybe it was seen as a violation of the forum rules which talks about posting copywritten content. If you have any suggestions as to what I could do, let me know. On second listening, I can definitely tell a difference between the files from the Mac and Schiit Jil when A/B'd but I'm not sure if it would stand out if I just played them in their entirety next to each other. I don't want to be in the wrong with posting files, but I've also seen others post links to files for comparison.

Alan

21. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member Thread Starter

Now that I've been using the Jil for quite some time now, sometimes the file seems to be recorded at the wrong bit rate or something.
    I might record several lp's that work fine, then all the sudden I'll get one that sounds like the bitrate was wrong.
    Double checking all the settings shows that everything is correct.
    I make sure Windows recording device setting is 24/192. I make sure the software is recording in 24/192 and the front of the Jil is set to 24/192.
    I might do 5-6 lp's then all the sudden I get on that isn't right.
    Anyone else have this issue?

22. jdorsey

jdorsey Forum Resident

Just got the Jil today. I want to listen to my albums that I have only in LP format at the office. Really love the knob on the front to control the record level. Quality so far sounds great. Playback through Audacity on my system sounds just like the LP itself. Two albums in and it seems very promising. I also got a Modi DAC for the office PC to pair with a new Audioengine N22 Amp. Can't wait to go to work on Monday!

23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Would the Behringer be a good Analogue to Digital converter to use for transferring vinyl to digital?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.