Do you have a preferred Bowie era?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just curious, I've been discovering Bowie for a few years now and I've found I really enjoy almost every album for the most part.

I just haven't connected at all with the Ziggy albums aside from a few tracks here and there. For whatever reason those albums just aren't my cup, ya know? I'm sure I'll come around eventually.

I've always had a strong preference for the Eno trilogy and also the 90's-00's albums.

I've recently been really digging Never Let You Down (despite it's flawed quality).

Singles aside, Tonight, Scary Monsters and Let's Dance are all a toss up for me so far.

I've gotten REALLY into the Reality album in the last few days and can't stop playing it. Anyone dig this album?

Basically, I'm digging Bowie lately and just feel like chatting about him. :)

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars
    !

Why?
    With such incredible tracks as:
    Hang Onto Yourself
    Ziggy Stardust
    Suffragette City

...which are chock full of slashing crunching guitar riffs, courtesy of Mick Ronson.

Also one of the best "sequencing of 3 rock songs", anywhere, any album!!!

Honorable Mention:
    Starman, Moonage Daydream, Star, and It Ain't Easy, are close follow ups.

It's a perfect album representing a great Bowie era.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Tanx, Frosst, Galactus2 and 3 others like this.
  3. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I love all of Bowie's 1970's output, but have a soft spot for The Thin White Duke.

GodShifter, Evan L, Merrick and 4 others like this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

hunky thru alladin.....
    wait , Ziggy albums plural? which ones do you consider ziggys, that might be my pick

5. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Ditto :wave:

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. warewolf95

Station to Station was one of the first albums that I really "got" and enjoyed, but I put it aside for a few years. God excuse to revisit it, thanks. :)

Denim Chicken, ccbarr and RockRoom like this.
  7. warewolf95

Ok, so I've got a question -

did anyone have a problem getting into Bowie because of his chameleon-like nature?

I love artists with variety but for some reason this was a big problem with me and Bowie. I LOVE some albums and others I can't muster more than an "eh...I think I like it?"

I've really had to let his music "marinade" on me for a long time. Worth it though. :)

CBackley and RockRoom like this.
  8. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

A beautiful reason to revisit...

9. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

My favourite Bowie is somewhere between 1975 and 1977, a really troubled mind lost somewhere between his Afro-American and European sensibilities. Strange fascination fascinating me...

10. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Another vote for The Thin White Duke. Station To Station is my favorite Bowie album, just something magical about that album, it might start with a C...;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I've been doing the same. I put myself on a self imposed "ban" of Bowie music for a few months before the New Career... box came out, so lately I've been going through his entire 70s-early 80s work. Listening to the albums in order, it strikes me how different each one is, such a variety of styles. Also from Space Oddity to Let's Dance there is such a high level of quality in the music, not a bad album in the bunch.

Tsomi and warewolf95 like this.
  12. warewolf95

I listened to Tonight the other day. Shame me to hell, but I've never heard the original God Only Knows. I thought the version on Tonight was excellent!

One thing I love about Bowie is that I like him so much as a person that he makes me want to listen to his stuff if only because I think he deserves it, lol. :D

ccbarr likes this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Somewhere between Station To Station and "Heroes".

14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I really do like his take on "God Only Knows", kinda a blue eyed soul vocal, and I don't mind the production. When I think of Bowie the word gentleman comes to mind, which maybe would seem ironic back in the 70s, but really he was just playing different parts back then. I don't mean to make him out like a saint, but he seemed like a refined, charming individual.

And God Only Knows, you need to hear Pet Sounds! :righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

1974 is pretty great. One foot in Diamond Dogs rock and the other in Young Americans soul.

16. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Let's Dance-era.

davers and warewolf95 like this.
  17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

A hard time getting into Bowie because his musical styles kept changing? That’s an odd thing for someone with a Prince profile avatar to say!

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Hunky through alladin
    Thritto

willy and warewolf95 like this.
  19. warewolf95

Exactly. Not to saint-ify him either, but he just comes off like a really decent guy. I've never seen or heard anything from him that made me go "well he's a stuck up ****!", ya know what I mean? That's not a requirement for me to enjoy an artist, but it definitely doesn't hurt. :)

ccbarr likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've been enjoying 1974 Bowie too lately since I heard The Gouster in a record store a few months ago.

21. warewolf95

That's exactly why I prefaced it by saying usually that's not a problem. I'm even more of a Zappa fanatic on top of Prince so I'm as confused as you are! :D

Tsomi and CBackley like this.
  22. warewolf95

The Gouster?

23. warewolf95

Diamond Dogs is my favorite Ziggy-era album. No particular reason. I've just happenned to click with it since first hearing it. Aladdin Sane would be 2nd.

George Blair likes this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Young Americans precursor album included in the Who Can I Be Now? box set.

andrewskyDE and warewolf95 like this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The live "Cracked Actor" has some great moments too.

pbuzby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.