Am I the only one bored with late night talk shows?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

It's funny, i've been watching him on Decades for few years and there is always discussion of cancelation. When he had a real turbulent, silent, testy Marlon Brando on Brando even addressed it. Dick was always under pressure even on the original sixties show. The type of show he did was always hard to sell. Charlie Rose is very similar to Cavett in form. I watch Charlie everyday. Love Charlie. Just two people talkin' around a table. The recent multi part Bannon interview was riviting.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Sadly all people were Dick Caveat :) were interesting and were from the golden
    of age hollywood same with tv.. Who could bring on show like that would
    be interesting actors on actors is boring.. on pbs

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

This is social media.

4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Still miss that show. I loved the atmosphere of the interviews. It didn't feel as scripted as the other shows were. (Actually, it felt like there was a script, but nobody bothered to follow it.) There was some truly spontaneous humor, something that rarely happens on most talk shows.

goodiesguy, Aardvark23, marcb and 5 others like this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Conan still rules!

goodiesguy, Kevin j, MRamble and 4 others like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Don't understand the love for that guy (Rose). Always wholly uninformed about his guests and their life and interrupts them at every turn. He's not the only one but I don't understand how he is revered, same as Larry King who thought Seinfeld had been canceled and didn't know the difference between any of the Beatles. I mean, these are high-profile guests. If you've lived under a rock for decades, why bother having anybody on?

These guys don't know anything and ask stupid questions. James Lipton from Inside The Actors Studio does his research and at least can ask good questions which make sense and he also doesn't interrupt. Crazy concept, I know...

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I know what you mean. There were actually laugh out loud moments for me.

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't stay up late enough to watch any of them and they're certainly not something significant enough for me to TIVO. I liked the Colbert Report on Comedy Central, but have only seen the occasional clip from his current gig.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ahhh, Craig Ferguson! HOW can a dude be so great at pulling you in, all the while having this I-don't-give-a-frack attitude! Here was a guy who knew by that hour, you'd already had your talk show...and were ready for that!
    And so MANY of the first segment guests are still on my "hall pass" list today!

goodiesguy, marcb, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Strat Mangler, awesome name, i know what you mean. Especially with music he is clueless. Always asks the same questions that are way off base to musicians. Charlie does interrupt people a lot too. And many other traits that can take away. But, man when it works it's great. And he is enthusiastic and into the people. One of his good qualities is that there are some truly great conversations, good back and forth, without an argument or yelling. Which i think is lacking a lot. He is better with politics and especially good with the Brain Series he does as a roundtable. I could do a real good satire of Charlie i watch him so much. There is parallell with Larry on the not knowing the guest. Which can be funny sometimes, to me. I like Lipton too, but, he can also be funnily formal sometimes, which i like. Right on Strat Mangler, rock on......

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Rarely watch them.

All they do is clown around with guests.

12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'm not as much bored with them as I'm disgusted by them. I really miss Letterman.

ArpMoog likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The only talk show I watch is Graham Norton on the BBCA. I enjoy his brit wit but what I really like and appreciate is how he'll just bring all his guests out when the show starts and puts them on the couch, where they actually interact for the whole hour! What a concept!;)

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  14. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

James Cordon does that, but he usually ends up interviewing each individually unless they were all in the same show. I know Graham Norton's work, and wish they would put him in a prime US time slot.

15. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

It was a bit before my time, so I'm not sure. But does anyone remember The Joey Bishop Show? I think that's what it was called. I think he was part of the Rat Pack, or something like that.

16. rburly

I remember it at the time, and it's still on OTA. Someone will tell you if it's ME-TV, THIS, or another channel. Johnny's last challenge for airtime was Dick Cavett and Joey Bishop. Johnny beat them both easily. It was a big time in late night TV.

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I miss Steve Allen (even if he did mock the great Blue Cheer when they guested in 1968).

Alan G. likes this.
  18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Up yours...today! Too good to
    be true sometimes.

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think John Oliver’s show is fantastic, and I used to like Bill Maher’s show, but he’s just said some stuff recently that made me not want to watch.
    I was a huge fan of the Colbert Report, so now I just watch Colbert’s monologues....brilliant!
    I really don’t care about the celebrities hawking their latest movie or books, so I skip all that.

20. rburly

I see that it's on Antenna-TV from 7-7:30 and then 7:30 to 8 am. So, 2 episodes from 7-8 am.

21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I enjoy skits on the various late night shows. I will watch the clips on youtube. If Im in a mood for an interview show, I will watch something ON Demand thru direct TV. I like Sam Jones "Off Camera". Plus, it's in B&W...just something different

22. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Bill Maher .Period!

23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

They aren't funny and are very one sided.

24. rburly

It's impossible for me to stay with anyone consistently. I watch Conan at 11 pm, then depending on who else he has, I look at the other 3 show's guests. I usually spread my viewing around the late night shows or OTA cable. Just not a hotbed of humor these days.

25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

When Jon Stewart left "The Daily Show" I was done with late night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.