2017 Halloween Scary Movie Challenge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SquishySounds, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice. Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    It’s October tenth and I’m already getting burned-out on terrible scary movies :cry:

I rented Tom Cruise’s The Mummy from RedBox and hope it’s super-slick production, lavish budget, and superstar talents wash all the C-list crud from my poor eyes. I know it got bad reviews but so did Batman vs Superman and that was a whole lot better than most of the movies I’ve seen so far this month.

Yes, it would be easy to simply watch thirty one great and famous horror movies before midnight Halloween, but this is the Scary Movie Challenge. I ‘will’ watch 31 all new movies this year!:help::-popcorn:

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Making my way through the 10 disc Halloween set. Just finished 6 (Curse Of...). I forgot how bad it was.

3. SquishySounds

House on Willow Street - When kidnappers abduct a demonic teen hellarity breaks loose!

2/5. Dumb

The Mummy (Tom Cruise edition). It’s not really a horror movie. It’s a horror-themed action movie. Why a 55 year old Cruise was cast as an Army sergeant/graverobber is beyond me. Lots of nice classic Mummy movie nods.

4/5. Better than expected.

4. Devil's Domain :):):)

Devil's Domain Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

[​IMG]

Dumb indie fun from the film division of Cleopatra Records. Devil's Domain isn't a great movie but it has its moments. The devil tempts an impressionable teen girl using a seductive female form, granting her wish in exchange for her soul. Michael Madsen has a small role in this flick.

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I've never gotten the hate. Its no worse than 3, 4, 5, H2O, or anything that came after. :shrug:

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I don't agree with that

7. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Got around to Carnival of Souls tonight.

[​IMG]
    The Criterion DVD has an interesting "making of" doc called The Movie That Wouldn't Die. Amusing in parts the movie felt like a glorified episode (season 1 ep. 16) of The Twilight Zone called The Hitch-hiker, which to me is far more chilling. Same death-denying blonde, running for her life in between creeps trying to pull up on her scenario. But it's worth a once over. And the lead is a funny cross between Cate Blanchett and Tori Amos.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Completely disagree with that statement. 3 is its own thing, not part of the Mike Myers universe, so I won't comment on it. But 4 and 5 were good, atmospheric horror fare. They lacked the pacing of the Carpenter movies, but they were still a cut above the average slasher flick that came out around that time (late 80s). And H20 was surprisingly good. JLC came back to reprise her role as Laurie, and the plot picked up where 2 left off. I thought it was very effective.

It should be stated that there is a second cut of Part 6 that is supposedly better. A director's cut or some such. I've only seen the theatrical, so I can't comment.

Bobby Buckshot and noname74 like this.
  9. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Never thought of that, but you are right!

ando here and driverdrummer like this.
  10. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I don’t think they can, even in aggregate, be as scary as the Bee Gees movie upthread, but I did order my crop of horror films to get me through the next couple of weeks.

Halloween II
    Halloween III (never seen it, but know it has a cult now)
    The Funhouse (RIP Tobe)
    Serpent and the Rainbow (not a regular genre title, I’m told)
    Sssss
    Phantasm II (also never seen)

12 bucks all in.

11. SquishySounds

Buried alive, voodoo, telekinesis ... what’s not to love?

12. Not Halloween based but a bit scary, I watched.
    Attack the Block.
    Get Out.
    Both had a different take on old themes. Of the two Get Out is better but Attack the Block was good too.

13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Watched House of the Devil (5/5)-a wonderful throwback to 80's horror-shot on 16mm, just fantastic!!!!!!

PhantomStranger and Nice Marmot like this.
  14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Watched The Beyond(1981) 5/5-The closest thing to a nightmare that I've seen on film. Watched a cruddy DVD of Seven Doors of Death back in 2004 with a bunch of friends-turned me into a horror fan!!!Ive owned the Anchor Bay DVD for years.

beat_truck, Nice Marmot and ando here like this.
  15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

This one garnered an Oscar (and deservedly so) for Best Makeup.

[​IMG]
    The Fly (1986, David Cronenberg)
    A remake of the 1958 classic Jeff Goldblum gives my favorite performance by him in this bizarre horror/sci-fi light yarn. Haven't watched it in years. Nice time to revisit it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  16. It is a wonderful throwback film but sections of the movie are awfully slow in pacing. It would have been a perfect movie if actually paced like a movie from the 1980s.

17. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Just Before Dawn (1981)

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched "From Beyond" a Stuart Gordon ("Re-Animator") film. Sort of fun. Based on H.P. Lovecraft and how a genius inventor opens up another dimension of savage evil. The borrow some nifty "Altered States" by monsters and a fantastic "garbage disposal" type leech. The same beautiful actress from "Re-Animator." Barbara Crampton. Zowie.

gitters, Trace, LeeVing and 1 other person like this.
  19. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I like the bondage outfit that Miss. Crampton was subjected to wear for no real reason other than the director wanted to see her in it. :drool: Thanks Suart Gordan!

Another Stuart Gordon, Lovecraft based film worth checking out is Dagon. It's in Spanish for some reason, so it's subtitled, but good fun none the less.

gitters and Ghostworld like this.
  20. Nice Marmot

It wasn't the pacing that I didn't like, it was the sudden "she's not really dead" at the end, no matter if it was supposed to imply something else horrific.

driverdrummer likes this.
  21. SquishySounds

I have never seen Dagon sober and I never want to. Because I know it won’t be as good with a clear head

Nice Marmot likes this.
  22. Nice Marmot

Yeah, it's hardly Gone With The Wind or Schindler's List :laugh:

23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I got suckered into seeing The Omega Code at the theater back in the day...

[​IMG]

24. Bobby Buckshot

The VVitch is excellent, and I need to see the Phantasm too.

25. Bobby Buckshot

I watched The Howling again yesterday. Great take on werewolves - nice dose of grit and eerie-ness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.