Dual 1019

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guitarded, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

I can get a really clean one for about $100.

Thinking about buying it and going through it for a winter project. Just don't know much about Duals.

Thanks.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bought mine already refurbished so I know nothing about working on one but I sure do like the way the play. I'd check on Audiokarma because there are several Dual experts over there.

3. Guitarded

Thanks. I will.

Just wondering if it worth it for $100.

4. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'd say it's worth it if it works nicely. I have a 1229 that is fully refurbished. Duals are built like a tank.

SandAndGlass and Guitarded like this.
  5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The 1019 is one of the better Duals, more robust than the 1200 series, and a very heavy platter. Your first Dual resto will be challenging. You'll need a service manual and mechanical ability. Expect to make a few mistakes, and extra time allowed to complete your first job. Most importantly, work clean. All bearings and disassembled parts must have all old lube removed, solvent cleaned and air dried (wiping off with a cloth will result in reduced performance and bearing wear) Your work area should be ventilated and well lit. An extra parts turntable is advisable.

The speed selector is almost always frozen. The most important consideration is that the turntable is clean and unmolested. A formerly restored turntable that operates, but does not operate properly can be a headache, since bad work will need to be "undone" as you proceed. A non-working clean turntable is easier to restore than a botched previous resto.

McLover and Guitarded like this.
  6. Guitarded

Thanks FRiNgE!

I think I am gonna go grab it tomorrow. It's completely original. No damage at all that I could see. Luckily, there is one real good tech here that I can lean on if I run into a problem.

Figure if I can build a house, build a car / motor, well then I can repair / restore a turntable.

The only function that isn't currently working is (going by sellers description) the autostop/return.

I saw it a couple few days ago but didn't have the time to test functions that day. But, I left my number and told him that if he would come down in price I might just take it...

shutdown66, ssmith3046 and The FRiNgE like this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

A great table. Most likely a good cleaning, getting rid of the old grease/gunk, and a good lube, will get it going again. They're built like tanks, and once up and running they're good to go for a long time. And they sound fantastic. I'll never sell mine.

[​IMG]

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Since this is an original TT that is a quality made product, with a wooden plith, it is certainly worth $100 in working condition, even with the auto-return not functioning.

Guitarded likes this.
  9. Guitarded

OK.

I grabbed it. Got there and gave it a second look over. Man, the thing (1019) is pretty much spotless.

The Wood Plinth is from United Audio. A little rubing on the corners (where the cover sits). Otherwise, it just needs a little tlc, clean and wax type stuff.

Dust cover is spotless, too.

Don't know what cart is on it, but stylus looks good and a quick check shows everything is about right re. setup...so, I'm gonna run a few LPs and I'll be back.

Hopefully with pics.

Thanks to all.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think you're going to enjoy it!!! :D

Paul K, Guitarded and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Don't force the auto stop (probably just old, gummy grease) and DO NOT use the multi LP changer. Ever.

There's a website somewhere that shows you how to restore.

Paul K and Guitarded like this.
  12. Guitarded

Everything looks and most importantly functions and sounds great.
    I just hooked it up to a little vintage Sony bookshelf amp I use for radio and auditioning new components.
    But, so far the only problem I can find is the turntable doesn't shut off / stop spinning. All other auto functions work flawlessly. Just doesn't trip the OFF for the platter.

You guys were right. Well worth the price of admission.

13. Guitarded

Okay.

Images escape me...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ssmith3046

What kind of cartridge do you think it is. I use a Shure V-15 II with a Jico elliptical stylus on mine. I use V-15 III DU cartridges on my other two Duals.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Curious, why never use the changer mechanism? I play vintage (60's and older) records on my 1229 using the changer and have never had an issue. The 45 adapter sometimes flakes out, and I have had a few albums that are too thick or the label is not glued down next to the hole and so they don't drop, but I don't have any problems otherwise. I realize the record falls and skids on the one below, is that why you advise against it?

16. Guitarded

It's a Shure of some variety. I'd have to get a mirror to figure out the model # without removing it.

SandAndGlass and ssmith3046 like this.
  17. The FRiNgE

Images are 3rd party supported from an image hosting site.
    images hosting sites - Google Search

Many are now pay sites, some of them free.
    Copy the image url from the hosting site, go to the image icon on this site and paste.

18. The FRiNgE

You are correct. The auto function operates smoothly, almost silently on properly restored Dual. Many Duals are not restored to spec. The "start" lever on an unrestored Dual may fail to reset, and result in continuous cycling.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I had a 1019 some years ago. Very, very solid table. They dont sound as good as the cheapest Rega, but in their day they were very good tables. Get a conical stylus for the shure and run with it. You'll enjoy it....a lot.

20. Guitarded

Shure V15 Type II is what is on there.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I'd take a 1019 over a Rega any day of the week. But I'd take an idler over any other type of table any day of the week too(although I do very much enjoy my AR TX(early XA) belt drive quite a bit).

And you don't have to limit yourself to conicals(although nothing wrong with conicals...I love them). As mentioned earlier in the thread, Shure V15II's were a common match with the 1019 back in the day. Original styli are gone, but Jico makes replicas that are every bit as good. A great sound from the pair. I also use and very much enjoy a Shure M55E .

BTW, because the 1019 is a changer that accommodated 6 lp's, optimum VTA is for 3 lp's. Therefore plan on using a thicker mat(I use cork) to achieve a level arm/cart assuming you won't be using it as a stacker.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    McLover, beat_truck and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a couple of vintage Dual 1219's, one has a Shure V15 Type IV, and the other one has a late model Shure cartridge.

I would also take both of them over ANY Rega entry table.

Interesting to know that little tidbit about the VTF.

I am going to send one in for service and I was thinking of setting the other one up to stack about 3-records at a time.

I have stacks of used records, many that are not in pristine condition, but still listenable. I figured that if I tried that option out, then I would listen more often to more of them, because, I would only need to jump up every hour to flip the stack over.

I can deal with getting up every two hours to return the records back to their sleeves and re-stack another three records.

I have a 2nd Emotiva SS phono-pre that I can use on this TT.

My better quality vinyl is played on a vintage Vinyl Nirvana Thoren's TD-160 Super, with a Ortofon 2M Bronze/Black cartridge.

Congrats to the OP on his 1019 SCORE!

My friend from HS had this same table, with the United Audio plith, which were on the US models.

I happen to think that it is both a nice looking plith, but with a unique angled design.

Together, they make a nice package.

McLover, beat_truck and Guitarded like this.
  23. ssmith3046

Great match up for the 1019.

24. ssmith3046

If you need a new stylus the Jico elliptical replicates the sound of the original stylus very nicely. I believe that this was pointed out on an earlier post too.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Guitarded

Thanks for the Jico Tip, guys.

Any specifin Model # or just look for it as a V15 Type II replacement?

And yes, I am definitely thinking this was a great score. Everything is 100% original and it sounds great through any number of vintage amps.

Also, it looks fantastic. Love the angular plinth.

Very excited to spend some time working on it, once the snow flies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.