Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

So far today:

King Crimson Larks' Tongues in Aspic
    Alice Coltrane Journey to Satchinanda
    John Coltrane A Love Supreme

Erik B., rockinlazys, adamos and 4 others like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Deep, intense, and beautiful music.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Did some record cleaning, changed the pickup and have been fine tuning the receiver plus my two subwoofers for the last two nights. It definitely sounds better, but it's difficult to get right and I am not that interested so I think this will do for now.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hard Promises
    Led Zep II

..and finally, Neil Young's Hitchhiker.
    Been waiting to hear this one on my home system.

Erik B., rockinlazys, adamos and 5 others like this.
  5. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

[​IMG]
    Decca Vinyl
    Followed by a 4 buck copy of Jo-El Sonnier "Come on Joe"...could not find a graphic lol.

Erik B., rockinlazys, Rne and 6 others like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Earlier today:
    Miles & Monk at Newport
    Thelonious Monk: Five by Monk by Five and Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane

Now playing: Miles Davis - In Concert

[​IMG]

Erik B., rockinlazys, adamos and 8 others like this.
  7. budwhite

Also got the Decca, stereo
    Have not played for a few years I think. I'll be sure to look into that

Erik B., JNTEX and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Good evening, ladies and germs, and welcome to the Jazzhole!Where the drinks are cheap and the chicks are free. Join yer host for a toast to the cat with the most. Now hold onto your hats and let's try to enjoy the ride.

Going in:

[​IMG]

Erik B., adamos, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  9. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Next up....Capri re of this
    [​IMG]

Erik B., Crispy Rob, adamos and 4 others like this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Since the last report:

King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King
    Starless and Bible Black

SABB is consistently rated behind ITCOTCK (and behind Red, Larks' Tongues, and Discipline) but it sounds better to me than most of those at first blush (I've heard it before but don't really know it, Larks' Tongues I didn't know at all until yesterday, the other two I was reasonably familiar with). The first album is mopey with all ballads after the killer opening track. Larks' Tongues has great instrumentals but the songs haven't grabbed me yet. Right now, in relative ignorance mind you, I'd rank them

Red
    Starless
    Larks' Tongues
    Discipline
    ITCOTCK

I had Wake of Poseidon on vinyl as a kid, I don't remember it but some or most of it will probably be familiar when I get around to it. I don't remember loving it then, so I haven't made it a priority.

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

12. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Ballister's - Slag now Disc 8 of Vandermark's 5 Alchemia box set release. Can't go wrong with either ---- the Vandermark 5 box packaging is almost as stunning as the music - great all around set.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This album is so much better than Pyromania, it's ridiculous.
    [​IMG]
    Def Leppard, High 'n' Dry.

Yeah! I'm in junior high, drinking a six-pack with Gene near the railroad tracks. (True story.) But this is the first time I've ever listened to this whole album.

I read Pitchfork's review of Damn The Torpedoes last night, and Petty almost gave "Don't Do Me Like That" to the J. Geils Band. When you think about it, doesn't it sound like a Geils tune? Peter Wolf would have killed it. And I can totally hear Seth Justman playing keyboards on it.

But back to this band, over a year ago I bought Pyromania at Best Buy for nostalgia's sake, and I found it almost unlistenable. I wasn't a huge fan of it back in the day either, but I bought it. Of course I also bought the first two Fastway albums. :biglaugh:You will, say what you will.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Crispy Rob and BurtThomasWard like this.
  14. BurtThomasWard

For what it's worth, I think Pyromania is incredible. It may have been polished (hah, understatement of the millenium), but it still has lots of character and the songs are all first rate. The only hair metal album that I would call art instead of just mindless fun. And that is not me being a snob, cuz ya'll know I ain't and the purpose of the poodles was nuffin' but a good time. I just find that one to be an incredibly rewarding listen to this very day.

I also love Hysteria, but that one is pure pop and not anything resembling hard rock or metal, of course. After that the band lost its heart and soul with Steve Clark and became mayors of Blandsville. High n Dry is just fantastic, BTW. Probably the best guitar sound Mutt ever got out of a band and as much as that guy hates the rhythm section he also loves the six strings.

The first album is really nice too, even if it doesn't much resemble any of the others they made. NWOBHM light, made by little kids and all the better for it. Like if UFO met Lizzy, Priest and Zeppelin in the parking lot behind the McDonald's and shared some stolen cigarettes with them while skipping school. Man, I love this band for those first four albums even if they sound like different bands on all them.

15. BurtThomasWard

Great album and somewhat unfairly overlook, I think. You should definitely check out Lizard, Islands and Thrak too. The last one is the best of the newer albums by far.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Is that the same as this, with a 21st century cover?
    [​IMG]

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"

Ahhhh, the noughties. Back when I was still young and hungry and the hair hadn't yet turned grey.

Crispy Rob and rockinlazys like this.
  18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Miles Davis at Fillmore is edited. The other, newer one has the full, unedited sets. Still, the original 2LP live album is an interesting listen since the edits somewhat keep things moving although they can be a bit jarring at times.

19. BurtThomasWard

Well, it is and it ain't. It is the unedited versions of what is one that one, with the four gigs from the Fillmore in full over four discs with a few bonus tracks. One of my favorite things in the Miles catalogue.

I like the 'original' too, but I think that ones is a different beast as Teo Macero edited the highlights of each night to make new compositions. Hence the name of each side of the album (on vinyl).

The set lists of the full gigs are 'pretty different', as the kids say...

Edit: but I see you already got yer answer :D

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  20. budwhite

Bob Seger Greatest hits. Next up, Tom Petty.. probably with The Heartbreakers second record

21. budwhite

Always liked that song

22. BurtThomasWard

Second listen to this one. Never heard it before yesterday and I cannot for the life of me understand why. Because I love it!

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  23. BurtThomasWard

Listening to the live set offa the 40th Anniversary of Bitches Brew. Tanglewood, August 18, 1970.

It is officially a mothertrucker. Spell that with a major 'F'.

Jarrett, Corea, Holland, DeJohnette, Moreira and Bartz all give major support but the Prince of Darkness hisself is ofc the baddest. Version of "Bitches Brew" blows (hah) the album one away.

24. BurtThomasWard

Hey, @budwhite : since you are the only cat 'round: listen to the version of "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" found on this record if you can find it. It is the funkiest thing I've ever heard. Funk as in smelly, grubby, earthy, dirty, vital, spooky and not least etc.

I love that track as much as anything he ever did, but maaaaaaaaaan! This version...

:bigeek:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. budwhite

I'm on it if I find it on spotify. Just need to finish up some Springsteen first

BurtThomasWard likes this.