Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I kinda hope they don't. This one wrapped up very neatly. Obviously, there is more to tell, but it's just so perfect right now. I don't want them to touch it and risk it becoming something hopeless generic, because we all know this film bombed and if they make another one it's gonna be a lot more accessible/action packed at the expense of the story. I'm surprised this film even got made with that budget to be honest.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I don't think anyone implied the "miracle" was supposed to be "superhuman" or anything. Just that her existence in and of itself was a miracle. The fact that she then developed some weird genetic mutation that basically shut down her immune system basically implies that even though she's a "miracle," she's not the savior the replicants hope she will be. I thought that was a nice, subtle twist.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good explanation. But I hated it as a twist. Very cliche. Can someone explain (see "Was Deckard a Replicant?" thread) how Harrison Ford managed to survive his digs in Las Vegas?

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, though I've read one theory that her immune deficiency is made up as a way to keep her tucked away and out of reach.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I thought of that too, but the way she told the story, it sounded like she was referring to an instance when she was a bit older and ready to be taken off-world by her (adoptive) parents. I also don't think part of the "plan" would be to hide her right under Wallace's nose.

6. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

What a fantastic movie! I was blown away, visually and sonically. That is one of the best movie soundtracks I've ever heard.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think the mods need to stick a "SPOILERS" warning on the top of this thread now.

The Revealer likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the soundtrack, too. Very experimental. Han Zimmer taking what he did in "Interstellar" to an extreme, making it even more sparse!

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I have been a mad BR fan, since I first saw the film at the London première all those years ago. I saw BR 2045 it last night (in 2D) with my son and we loved it. A totally absorbing and fascinating film with stunning visuals. The slow pace didn't bother me at all and I wouldn't have minded an extra 20 minutes.
    I'm not a fan of Gosling at all but I think his deadpan style (read "dull") was well suited for a lost, confused replicant. A pity that Harrison Ford didn't come along earlier in the film. His appearance was just too brief.

The only scene that dragged for me was the boiler room scene/horse rediscovery. The only time I cringed was when Gosling's character met the resistance. Oh no, not that again.

The Revealer and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

True to the original, it better have voiceover, footage inserted from other films, and a redesigned soundtrack!

I'm one of those BLADE RUNNER fans who's probably seen all the versions and still prefers the original theatrical edit . . . [ducks chair]. Honest! I kinda feel like we got the Director's Cut of 2049 first. Now I'd like to see what the director might have done if instructed, "This needs to show twice each evening, not once."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    robertawillisjr and Ghostworld like this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Good news, I'm getting four passes that I'll save for Murder On The Orient Express.

Part of the response from the theater.

"This issue is one that I have dealt with before and alleviated, but Blade Runner has allowed it to creep back up. Hans Zimmer’s futuristic Blade Runner score features a great deal of low bass at a high volume. This booming, expansive score has caused the HVAC vents to begin rattling. I have scheduled a service team to come out and look at this, and hopefully they can find the issue and correct it for the last time.

We just recently received our THX certification, and I think this is where the George Lucas comment comes from."

Does THX actually certify theaters anymore? Does anyone know about a list of certified theaters? I can't find one.

Happy viewing, Michael

Mazzy and The Revealer like this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Guilty here, too.

SteveM likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think love for this movie with grow. A lot of people disliked"Interstellar" for many of the same pacing reasons as well as length. Both ambitious films. Both visually splendid (was it my imagination or did the guy testing/quizzing Ryan Gosling to determine his emotional state sound a lot like the voice of Tars the robot from "Interstellar?" In hindsight, I loved "Blade Runner 2049") But in the Sci-Fi Oscars my vote for recent classics still goes "Interstellar" although this was nearly as good.
    :ed::ed::ed::ed:

John Moschella likes this.
  14. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I just arrived from seeing themovie and I think it's a worthy sucesor to the original. Only two things I disliked the "want-to-be-a-soundtrack" by my most disliked Hans Zimmer and Jared Leto an actor I dislike and always seem to play the same role, the bad guy but badly performed. For the rest I think it's a great movie.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

For that particular horse scene that dragged on, I felt the same way at first.
    But thinking more about it, it was very effective.

That was a memory, and even now, I can visualize the path so well that I'm sure I could retrace those same steps.
    It is implanted in my memory. It makes you experience how real an implanted memory can feel.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just saw it a second time, this time in 3D.

The 3D perspective: Overall very nice. I giggled with joy at the very first shot, which was the classic flying car appearing mid-screen and racing ahead to the horizon. Looked so great! :D Many of the very geometric rooms at the Wallace Corp looked mid-blowing in 3D. I thought they looked a bit hokey in 2D -- like a set designer's wet dream -- but in 3D they had this incredible life. Many many things excellent, but they dropped the ball a few times! Jared Leto's flying vision stones they didn't make pop out in 3D? You're kidding me! I couldn't believe it. If ever there was an excuse for wild 3D. Also, "Prometheus" made much better use of control panels and displays in 3D. Even when Gosling had the tree scanned in 3D -- they didn't bother to translate that hologram into 3D on the screen. Lots of things like holograms they dropped the ball on. Disappointing. But overall well worth a look in 3D.

Now I've seen it twice in two day, I guess I really like the damn thing! :shh:

Again, Jared Leto. Bleech. He's obviously taking his elocution lesson from Christopher Walken. But the real problem with his character was his babble was so over the top it didn't even seem to make sense.

Runicen and The Revealer like this.
  17. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

And somehow, at the tender age I was in 1979, I was oblivious to that aspect of it. I just saw a dreamlike paradise and serenity. The erotic subtext (if I can even call something that blindingly obvious subtext) went completely over my head.

The Revealer likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well yes, it was a monumental moment for replicant "K" and very important for the movie but it could have been better paced I think.

19. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Roger Deakins wants us to see it in 2D, not 3D, so I won't be following your advice sorry.

SteveM likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’m amazed people so worship a film where a holograph plays is a lead role, yet they refuse to see it in the virtual 3-D medium. :waiting: I’ll tell you it adds an element to scifi films.

21. bala

bala New Member

stunning

22. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Um, logic dictates that if a movie is reported to be too loud at some theaters but the same movie is reported to not be too loud at other theaters, the loudness level has to be a theater specific thing. Your experience does not contradict that logic.

Call this anecdotal, if not evidence, but the one movie I (and friends) experienced as too loud was "Man of Steel". I have been to that particular IMAX theater many times, but at the "Man of Steel" showing all the typical pre-movie promotions--and popcorn and Coke advertisements--were much, much louder than at other showings in the same theater. It was clear during the promotions that there would also be significant volume levels once "Man of Steel" started.

23. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

You will not be able to explain that to members of The Cyclops Agenda.

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Joe's police car was a Peugeot! Rather than simple media buying (like we see Sony, Coca-Cola,…) I think this was a little nod to…
    Did you guess it?

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

You know I cant remember one bit of the soundtrack. All I can remember is the Elvis and Sinatra bits and another small bit that was more like a Vangelis remix of the original.

Thats it. I do remember the BOOOOMMMMSSSS though.

The Revealer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.